Magicyle Headset Problem-please help

tom1000

Local time
10:39 PM
I have a continuing problem with my Magicycle Cruiser Headset becoming loose after 15 to 20 miles of riding. I have attempted to resolve or get guidance from Magicycle for at least the past eight months with more than 40 emails sent and received. Magicycle sent me replacement top bearings which I replaced. I also replaced the stem and applied Parks Assemble Paste with no improvement. I have watched a number of YouTube Videos and read more than a few articles on resolving loose headset with no success in fixing the issue. I have been hesitant to remove the fork assembly to inspect the lower bearing and crown race as I fear I may encounter broken parts that I will have difficulty finding replacement parts. I found that Magicycle uses a slightly non standard seat post .309 and am concerned I may find the same with the lower bearing assembly? I believe the problem is low cost loose bearings with plastic split rings supporting a heavy bike being used on mostly mild National Park trail surfaces. I would sincerely appreciate suggestions on the following:

Does anyone know if Magicycle uses standard 11/8 straight (28.6mm) tube with 44 mm cups?

I would like to replace the loose bearing set up with an integrated sealed bearing set. Is that possible and any recommendations for a beaing set?

I haven't had that problem (yet) but I hope you discovered it before it got so loose you lost some parts.
I had a loose bearing in the headset, but found out and fixed before first operation. No subsequent problems there.
As you are having continued problems, it would appear something is amiss.'
I would hate to have to pull it apart, but it looks like the next step.
Magicycle is in CA. Should have plenty of parts!:rolleyes:

I haven't had that problem (yet) but I hope you discovered it before it got so loose you lost some parts.
I had a loose bearing in the headset, but found out and fixed before first operation. No subsequent problems there.
As you are having continued problems, it would appear something is amiss.'
I would hate to have to pull it apart, but it looks like the next step.
Magicycle is in CA. Should have plenty of parts!:rolleyes:
I solved the problem. I disassembled the headset and measure the loose bearing and races including the crown race. The bearings are 44mm and the bike has a streight not tappered tube. I ordered the following 44 mm Double Sealed MTB Bearings from Amazon and they worked great what a difference. The bearing have been in the bike for almost 100 miles with no adjustment needed. The sealed bearing set was about $20.00 and fairly easy to installed. You need at a minimum a headset bearing press about $20.00 and a race remover also about $20.00 to do the job.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Was the bike still under warranty? You spent about $60 to fix the problem so I'd be after the seller to reimburse you or offer some sort of free accessory for your efforts and expenditures.

Was the bike still under warranty? You spent about $60 to fix the problem so I'd be after the seller to reimburse you or offer some sort of free accessory for your efforts and expenditures.
"I have a continuing problem with my Magicycle Cruiser Headset becoming loose after 15 to 20 miles of riding. I have attempted to resolve or get guidance from Magicycle for at least the past eight months with more than 40 emails sent and received."
It would appear it is still under warranty, with so few miles and continued e-mails. But I can't say for sure, of course
Don't ask for "free" accessories,either. You can buy anything Magicycle offers for 1/2 price ( at least) on Amazon.

Back