Brakes Magicycle Brake Upgrade

CWebike

Local time
5:28 AM
I don't know what you're riding, but this upgrade has worked very nicely for me...

I ride an older Magicycle cruiser, and you can see the specs on it here: https://www.magicyclebike.com/produ...-terrain-fat-tire-electric-bike-midnight-blue -- the new Magicycles now have stock hydraulic disc brakes, but the upgrade was quick and easy on my early cruiser that came with mechanical disc brakes.

I don't know what you're riding, but this upgrade has worked very nicely for me...

I ride an older Magicycle cruiser, and you can see the specs on it here: https://www.magicyclebike.com/produ...-terrain-fat-tire-electric-bike-midnight-blue -- the new Magicycles now have stock hydraulic disc brakes, but the upgrade was quick and easy on my early cruiser that came with mechanical disc brakes.
I took delivery on a Magicycle last week. No hydraulic brakes here!

I took delivery on a Magicycle last week. No hydraulic brakes here!
If you purchased the original Magicycle Cruiser model, that's a very good e-bike at an excellent price point. However, it does not come with hydraulic brakes. The upgrade mentioned above works very nicely for that bike, and I highly recommend upgrading.
The more recent models, such as the Cruiser Pro and Ocelot pro and the Deer all come with hydraulic brakes. Here's a synopsis of Magicycle's fat tire e-bike models: https://www.magicycle.org/magicycle-specializes-in-high-quality-fat-tire-e-bikes/

Attachments

• Ocelot and Big Brothers.jpg
    Ocelot and Big Brothers.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 83
My bike was opened and reclosed, the front wheel reflector was missing, the only "gift" I got was a small backpack, and they raised the price $200 after I ordered. Don't tell me about Magicycle. Haven't heard a peep from them in my 15 day trial. Lousy Customer Service. Bad experience all around. As Freddy says, had to really work on getting the front brake running true, but I did it after a couple hour trial.

My bike was opened and reclosed, the front wheel reflector was missing, the only "gift" I got was a small backpack, and they raised the price $200 after I ordered. Don't tell me about Magicycle. Haven't heard a peep from them in my 15 day trial. Lousy Customer Service. Bad experience all around. As Freddy says, had to really work on getting the front brake running true, but I did it after a couple hour trial.
Pick up your phone and call them. My own experience has been the opposite, with very responsive customer service., and 3 Magicycles in my garage.
213-559-1861

Pick up your phone and call them. My own experience has been the opposite, with very responsive customer service., and 3 Magicycles in my garage.
213-559-1861
Yep, that's the number. Lousy service. Lousy Follow-up. How many of those Magicycle's did you buy and how many given to you? The only folks who talk good about Magicycle are the folks who get one free. The one's who have paid, meh. They quoted me one price and raised the price $200 the next day. And you had better be cycle shop quality repairpersons. Every thing has to be adjusted to a much greater degree than Magicycle's " "This is the seat, it goes in here". I am still adjusting seats, derailleurs, handlebars, all handle bars attachments, electronics, I've had to tune it in.
But if one arrives for free? "Oh, it's a wonnerful bike, goes so easy, blah,blah". It's a different story when it's YOU who have paid. You pay attention to the details when it's those many thousand coming out of your pocket.

..... its increasingly apparent that free sky is rather shady ESPECIALLY in the put non as advertised brakes ( they swiftly swapped the listing after i called them out on the false advertisement ) so if anyone has any other models brands in the 4 piston or so 200mm ish catagory id really appreciate it heres some random bantering media from me below showcasing the bike some quick shots. LET DEE GRAMMAR POLEEEZ FEED I LEAVE LIVATIONS FRIENDS!! we alllllll gottta eat !
Your comment about getting non-advertised, shady operations? That's what I experienced with Magicycle.. So I apologize for hurting your feelings. And I'm here because I will have to get hydraulics and here I am.
I almost bought a Freesky.

lmfao bud i wasnt charged all i have to say maybe use your next few posts maybe 24 and 25 ( for your refrence little guy itll work out ! i got your back ill poleez myself by typeing with absolutely ASSANDNINE (opps i did a thang!) GRAMMER SKILLZ OR LACK THEREOF WEEE LOOK @ ME GOWWWEEGOO!

Honestly im not a sarcastic grammar free degenerate but really man like you gotta do better than that with only 23 posts.....help dont make THE FIRST IMPRESSION A NEGATIVE ONE JUST RELAX DAWG ITS COOOOL TAKE A BRAKE (lol again god i love myself....) SMELL THE REEFER HAVE SOME HERB.....i mean really it might get your booty pucker to manageable but never comfortable levels ( SORRY homie it aint a mircle drug can induce stupid but wont fix it tisk)

So for us adults and general normal people who dont enjoy wasting others time and eye strain quota ( and yearly laugh dose in one forum sitting needed that my little friend ty so much free dopeamine release yeahhhzeeee! ) LETS CHAT BRAKES !! @HumanPerson not specificly what i was asking got it figured out so no worries going with some tektro rear pads and doing the above rotors and the new caliper lever setup from amazon linked above so im pretty mechanicly inclined ( and enjoy outside oppinons can make one myself but would rather consult peers on things usually ) but yeah im very very stoked to get some ACTUAL stopping power but this darn morning i lost ( bad brake fade) most of my rear and currently this is the best and my only mode of transportation so i sort of dont have a choice but to ride her and risk my ass with no stopping power up front dont see the install being too hard never tried reseating the cables nor have i done anything with hydro disc brakes on bikes but bleeds so shouldnt be out of my reach ill keep you all posted just trying to make super sure i have all the required things fluid ( tektro mineral oil or shimano if i get the shimano bleed kit i need another other lost in the move revcently along with my bike work stand and some other tools sucks but theyll show up still unpacking ) much love all im mainly poking above but yeah if you want to help someone in general you wouldnt walk up and say " ohhey thereere WHY THE f*** ARE YOU SAY YALL INSTEAD OF "YOU ALL" its like so oxymoronicly comical i couldnt help it but help folks brother theres ZERO NEED FOR THIS in my thread its literally a hijack at this point i wont have it.
That so?

Might be a dumb question, but have the calipers been correctly aligned to the disks. If not loosen the retaining bolts, apply the brakes, and while holding the brakes retighten the retaining bolts. Poorly aligned calipers are never going to work well, mechanical or hydraulic.
Some of these bikes have had zero care taken with initial setup.
Yeah, that's what took time so long the first time. Amazed it was put together so poorly. What about those hydraulics that are cable operated? Anyone have experience with those?

What about those hydraulics that are cable operated? Anyone have experience with those?

I've tried them on my cargo ebike for few hundred miles in NYC.
I think they don't quite offer the performance advantage of hydraulic disc brakes,
but have the disadvantage of maintenance that require hydraulic fluid ands require adjustments just as the cable mechanical disc brakes.

If you're not constantly on the brakes, trying to slow down while traveling down a long hill, or carrying heavy load on your bike, that require heavy handed operation on the brakes; the cable mechanical disc brake is the simplest solution.
No hassle of changing hydraulic fluids and easily adjustable with simple tools.
Personally, I try to use the brakes as little as possible, even among NYC metro traffic.

I've tried them on my cargo ebike for few hundred miles in NYC.
I think they don't quite offer the performance advantage of hydraulic disc brakes,
but have the disadvantage of maintenance that require hydraulic fluid ands require adjustments just as the cable mechanical disc brakes.

If you're not constantly on the brakes, trying to slow down while traveling down a long hill, or carrying heavy load on your bike, that require heavy handed operation on the brakes; the cable mechanical disc brake is the simplest solution.
No hassle of changing hydraulic fluids and easily adjustable with simple tools.
Personally, I try to use the brakes as little as possible, even among NYC metro traffic.
I bought another ebike (Fahrbike). It has hydraulics standard (unlike the Magicycle). The difference is obvious, but not enough to change out mechanical versus hydraulic brakes. I also just discovered the handlebar attachment came from Magicycle upside down! I wondered why the led display didn't fit right! That will now call for a full inspection of the rear end of the bike. What a Rip-off!

Back