Lost trying to get into E-Bikes, so many options, looking for guidance

I will definitely try to find bikes that have the components you recommend.

I have had several people say to look for a torque sensor instead of cadence. Would you agree and does the Norco have this? I rarely can find mention of the type of sensor.

You mentioned that bike shops will provide support. Obviously it would depend on the specific shop, but don’t most bike shops only work on their licensed bikes ie only brands they sell?

Here is a nice piece describing the pros and cons of Cadence vs Torque.

My current Pace 500 v2 has a cadence sensor, which I love. I noticed last night that the v3 now has a torque sensor. I’m not sure if I would want that, but it all depends on one’s riding preference.

Regarding hills, I just got back from a wonderful 30 mile ride. While I am mostly somewhat flat where I am, part of that trip involves a climb up the Niagara Escarpment (the geographic elevation which Niagara Falls used to fall over before it eroded to its current location) which I’m guessing is about a 200 foot climb in height. I weigh about 195 lbs (trying to get to 185, LOL) and my ebike climbed the path smoothly, quickly and without a hint of complaint.

Coming down, on the other hand, is a good test for the disc brakes <grin>.

Regarding bike shops, I think you are right….most will likely just service what they sell. The advantage there is that it also is a great opportunity for a test drive!

I will definitely try to find bikes that have the components you recommend.

I have had several people say to look for a torque sensor instead of cadence. Would you agree and does the Norco have this? I rarely can find mention of the type of sensor.

You mentioned that bike shops will provide support. Obviously it would depend on the specific shop, but don’t most bike shops only work on their licensed bikes ie only brands they sell?
OK I'm going to jump in here. First of all we need more information on the projected rider of this ebike, such as, height (inseam), weight, experience riding bikes in general and general age range. Also might be helpful to know more precisely where you are located as the more remote the location the more likely you will not have local dealers in your area.

Why do I ask all these questions because beyond everything else the ebike has to fit the rider. The weight of the ebike does come into play as first, but once the rider gets used to it and is actually riding it the weight issue goes away.

As far as other issues such as motor power and battery size, to me these are of utmost importance. For instance the Shimano STEPS E6100 motor in the Norco Scene VLT is a very small 250 W motor with not much torque. The battery is also very small at only 10.5 Wh.
Even more disturbing on their web site with the exception of the motor they offer no information on the components being used on their $2700.00 ebike, very odd.

As for cadence vs torque sensing I prefer the cadence approach. Why, because a properly programmed cadence system allows from 3 to 9 assist levels. This allows the rider to dial in the amount of physical work they do as well as speed by using the Assist levels along with the gears. With torque sensing the power the motor provides is totally dependant on the amount of force the rider is applying to the pedals. This sounds good but to older people it doesn't allow you to pedal without much force at the pedals.

My suggestion is to get her on a couple ebikes and don't shy away from the ones with 20" wheels. I would say unless you plan to transport the ebike a lot I would stay away from folding models as they tend to be among the heaviest out there.

There aren't enough ebike shops around let alone qualified mechanics servicing even their own E-lines; so I'm finding that 'in theory' (just a quick phone poll) some of these businesses will at least take a look at what you have and take a stab at it. That's obviously better than say 5-6 years ago when many had no idea and weren't interested in learning.
Even an hour of diagnostic labor is a dollar not earned previously and worth the gamble to me if I'm down.

@Hoggdoc thank you for reading and responding!

Inseam is 28 inches, weight is around 125lbs. My wife wasn’t afforded the chances most had to learn how to ride a bike growing up. She just learned last year (in our late 30s) after transitioning from a tricycle. She loves it now! This is why I thought maybe a more natural bike feel is "better." She is mostly confident, but she will never be reaching 20mph or any high power, nor do I anticipate that being a future desire. We just spend time together on casual bike rides; so something that will allow her to ride for several hours and also assist her with any hills. We live in St Louis Missouri where there are a good amount of local shops. A lot of Specialized and Trek stores.

I wouldn’t be adverse to going around and test riding many bikes, however we have a little one so time is a scarce commodity.

If you had a couple of suggestions to narrow down the search, I would love to hear them!

Anyways, sorry for the long post. And thank you for the education on the torque vs cadence censor. And thanks @Snoop for the helpful article. I was misinformed; and see the benefit of the cadence sensor. I would agree that the cadence makes the most sense. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to help!!

Thank you for your responses! Well I’ve embarrassingly and stupidly overlooked that all e-bikes will be harder to peddle without any resistance due to the weight. So I should scrap everything I had written down and start from square one. This is mostly what it will probably be used for.

How far do you normally ride and do you feel the lectric bike provides you with the advertised range? How do you feel it handles hills?

I guess a negative is that you can’t test it out prior to purchase?
I ride anywhere fro 4.5 to 7 miles almost any evening I can......I have the regular battery not the extended life one now offered......I easliy can ride for 3 nights without a charge......I probaly could go another night.....or two.....but I don't want to worry about power.....when I bought my bike.....the extended life battery was not being sold......if I were to buy today.....I would go with the bigger battery. As for hills......I ride many......we live in a rural area......I ride paved roads mostly but many small hills.......the bike does well.....on hills I downshift and ride in PA 2 mostly. Don't know where you are located but....apparently you can test ride Lectric bikes at their Phoenix location......nowhere near me so I didn't test ride. As for riding without PA.....I rarely do......we have a very flat paved river trail in our town.......I have pedaled there without PA for a short distance but with a new hip and knee.....it got old fast. Good luck with your search......get riding!

Inseam is 28 inches, weight is around 125lbs. My wife wasn’t afforded the chances most had to learn how to ride a bike growing up. She just learned last year (in our late 30s) after transitioning from a tricycle. She loves it now! This is why I thought maybe a more natural bike feel is "better." She is mostly confident, but she will never be reaching 20mph or any high power, nor do I anticipate that being a future desire. We just spend time together on casual bike rides; so something that will allow her to ride for several hours and also assist her with any hills. We live in St Louis Missouri where there are a good amount of local shops. A lot of Specialized and Trek stores.

I wouldn’t be adverse to going around and test riding many bikes, however we have a little one so time is a scarce commodity.

If you had a couple of suggestions to narrow down the search, I would love to hear them!

Anyways, sorry for the long post. And thank you for the education on the torque vs cadence censor. And thanks @Snoop for the helpful article. I was misinformed; and see the benefit of the cadence sensor. I would agree that the cadence makes the most sense. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to help!!
Well I would look for local bike shop that sells something other the Big Brand names as they tend to be very pricy for what you get. Sure try them but look for a store that sells a variety of styles and sizes of bikes.

For sure I would look at 20" tires on the bike as your wife has very short legs.

Check various local shops to see who carries the big brand names, give them a try but be aware the prices will be high for what you get.

I don't so searching found a local shop I think you should check, https://www.mikesbikesstl.com/indexp2#/electric/. They sell at least one well known brand that are reasonably priced. Let use know what to find after testing a few bikes. Remember the most important is the fit.

"....She just learned last year (in our late 30s) after transitioning from a tricycle. She loves it now! This is why I thought maybe a more natural bike feel is "better." She is mostly confident, but she will never be reaching 20mph or any high power, nor do I anticipate that being a future desire. We just spend time together on casual bike rides; so something that will allow her to ride for several hours and also assist her with any hills...."
She might not be as confident on two wheels as you may think or may hope/know in your heart. If so, I took a chance on this one yet to be delivered or reviewed. Not much interest here in this new release yet I'm hoping that my wife falls in love with her 2nd bike too for different reasons. (not much safer than a two wheeler but maybe at her experience level/age; we'll see)...

Well I would look for local bike shop that sells something other the Big Brand names as they tend to be very pricy for what you get. Sure try them but look for a store that sells a variety of styles and sizes of bikes.

For sure I would look at 20" tires on the bike as your wife has very short legs.

Check various local shops to see who carries the big brand names, give them a try but be aware the prices will be high for what you get.

I don't so searching found a local shop I think you should check, https://www.mikesbikesstl.com/indexp2#/electric/. They sell at least one well known brand that are reasonably priced. Let use know what to find after testing a few bikes. Remember the most important is the fit.
Ah! I thought Aventon (if that is even what you are referring to) was one of those companies that didn’t have local dealers. I’ve have heard some good things about them through researching. I just always thought people meant Trek, Specialized or Giant.

Is the any absolute minimum specs that you would recommend? Do you agree with the: Bosch or Shimano entry level mid drive, no throttle, 7 or so gears. Battery and motor specs?

Also, my wife is 5,7 so I didn’t think she had that short of legs and she easily handles 27“ diameter wheels. I won’t write off smaller wheels then.

Ah! I thought Aventon (if that is even what you are referring to) was one of those companies that didn’t have local dealers. I’ve have heard some good things about them through researching. I just always thought people meant Trek, Specialized or Giant.

Is the any absolute minimum specs that you would recommend? Do you agree with the: Bosch or Shimano entry level mid drive, no throttle, 7 or so gears. Battery and motor specs?

Also, my wife is 5,7 so I didn’t think she had that short of legs and she easily handles 27“ diameter wheels. I won’t write off smaller wheels then.
Aventon has been working into dealerships for a while now. Just be sure the local dealer is not charging more than you can buy it direct.

As for minimum specs. The bigger the battery capacity the better, but get quality cells, LG, Panasonic, Samsung. As for the motor I would say stick with 750 W if possible as they do considerably better climbing than smaller motors.

I thought you wrote your wife had 28" inseam, that the important measurement as it dictates the stepover of the bike. Also remember unless she wants to hop off the seat everytime she comes to stop, that measurement is very important.

Personally I think the Bosch and Shimano systems are overrated and very overpriced. Additionally the Bosch systems can only be serviced by dealers with the special equipment Bosch provides. Not many mfgs use Shimano mid drive system from what I have seen in the marketpalce.

Hope that helps.

The Norco is a mid drive, no throttle, and is only torque sensor driven. In plain English, you must pedal to make the electric motor work.

Take a typical Chinese e-bike bike into a typical bicycle store with a problem, no matter what it is, and you'll find they won't touch it with a 40 foot pole. And for good reasons. Assume you are 100% reliant on only the store you bought it from support. The exception to this is e-bikes with industry leading components from companies like Shimano and Bosch. Most bikes stores will support these, as the bikes they are selling will also be using these components. At least that's now it works in my corner of the world.

As you probably totally confused by now with all the conflicting opinions, perhaps this article with their opinion of the pick of mid drive bikes for 2023 may help 2023 Mid Drive picks

They seem to also like the Norco, describing it as "The Norco Scene VLT is the best mid-drive electric bike of 2023 in the comfort-commuter category."

Hello everyone,

I have been doing several days of research here, but seem to be going in circles trying to narrow down a first E-Bike. Thought I would just create an account and hope you experienced riders might be gracious enough to recommend some bikes for further research based on my criteria.

The main wishes: a bike that feels like a bike instead of a scooter, when the assist is not being used, to feel like a proper bike. Capable of assisting up a decent grade incline but we only really ride on bike paths and casual road rides. Price ideally would be around $2,000 or less.

I have read many comments and complaints that say stay away from the online shops such as lectric, Aventon etc. and go with a brick and mortar Trek, Specialized for the customer service. Which I definitely see the value but the trade off is around $1,000 more. I do tend to subscribe to the buy once and save in the long run instead of now. I’ve read that some companies also might quickly abandon a model and the e parts that go with it. But are the others that bad at customer service?

I have also come to believe that a torque sensor is what I would like. But is that only for high end bikes? I can’t really find any info on that type of sensor.

I guess I am kind of lost. Anyone have any bike suggestions or critiques?I have one possible bike on my list but I don’t want to influence anyone’s thoughts. I would be greatly appreciative of any experienced commentary.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
My wife short and rides a rad mini 2 step thru which is not made anymore. I bought a vtuvia step thru 20 x 4 tire bike.Have had it 2 years and just noisy brakes.2 year warranty, great customer service.Not 1 mechanical problem.13 amp hour battery,750 watt motor. 2 years ago it was $1299.00 on amazon.I installed cable pull hydraulic brakes and no noise. Most e bikes have inexpensive brake components along with the derailleur, gear shifter that are available at your local bike shop.good luck

The Norco is a mid drive, no throttle, and is only torque sensor driven. In plain English, you must pedal to make the electric motor work.

Take a typical Chinese e-bike bike into a typical bicycle store with a problem, no matter what it is, and you'll find they won't touch it with a 40 foot pole. And for good reasons. Assume you are 100% reliant on only the store you bought it from support. The exception to this is e-bikes with industry leading components from companies like Shimano and Bosch. Most bikes stores will support these, as the bikes they are selling will also be using these components. At least that's now it works in my corner of the world.
What almost every bicycle electric and non electric are made China .maybe assembled here. Just like the chinese harley,parts are shipped and some assembled there others here.buy american ok but where is the American made item ? On the ship from china

What are your thoughts on something like the Trek cruiser, townie, or loft?
Well I'm kind of an old-school cyclist who has gone over to the Dark Side... I build my bikes and maintain them myself as I'm not fond of having someone else do the work, plus I can build a bike without shaving corners to maintain a profit margin. However it looks like @Freddy1 did some research and based on what he's describing, I wouldn't go anywhere near it, either. Gears and a good sized battery sound like a necessity given what you want the bike to do for your spouse. There's no more regret-filled purchase than an expensive one that turns out to be a half-measure.

You have the idea now exactly on how ebikes are meant to work. Always at some level of assist. In my experience - admittedly not limitless by any stretch - a typical ebike at minimum power feels like a normal analog bicycle. Its when you start ramping the power up that the giggling starts and as was already noted, there is a natural progression to more power. Not necessarily to go faster, but because a bicycle ride can now be a much longer one and people who enjoy riding tend to ride much further and for longer when they go electric. If you buy for your perceived need now you will be upgrading soon, very likely.

Shimano is one of the few manufacturers who have set an end-of-life on their earlier motors and stopped supporting them. I know of a number of Bullitt riders who use those bikes for commercial duty who became stuck with very expensive paperweights when their motors died of old age. As I understand it, Bosch still supports every motor model they have ever manufactured. So if longevity is your goal, then Shimano would not be my first choice.

This, by the way, is why I always do my own builds as I want to be the one who decides a bicycle frame, wheelset etc. is ready for retirement. But I realize that sort of hands-on approach is not for everyone.

I still have a lot of catching-up to do in terms of reading the thread, but something @Hoggdoc said jumped out at me. He came out in favor of cadence sensing, which is a recipe for having the local villagers rise up, tie him to a stake and light a match.

Its familiar ground for me as I agree completely: Cadence sensing, when properly tuned (which almost nobody does) can be an outstanding exercise tool, and it is by far my preferred method. Look back to that bike I pictured way back in the early part of this thread. Part of what I was doing when I bought it was seeing if my jaundiced view of torque sensing was fair (I also wanted to try out a belt drive and an IGH for the first time).

Well, torque sensing was every bit as distasteful as I thought it would be, unfortunately. I wrote the following some years ago and I don't take any of it back.

Torque sensing is fine if thats what you want out of your ride, but I view it as a holdover from the analog cycling era. Not necessarily 'better'. Its more familiar to new entrants. Also there are apparently cheapo cadence-based controllers that are slow to engage or merely on/off switches. I've never used one but if I did I am sure I'd be just as negative about it.

Worth mentioning is that cadence sensing is not at all the lightning rod in cargo / utility rider circles as it is for recreational riders. Riding a bike that has a job it seems makes for a different perspective.

Hello everyone,

<snip>

The main wishes: a bike that feels like a bike instead of a scooter, when the assist is not being used, to feel like a proper bike. Capable of assisting up a decent grade incline but we only really ride on bike paths and casual road rides. Price ideally would be around $2,000 or less.
This is doable.

I have read many comments and complaints that say stay away from the online shops such as lectric, Aventon etc. and go with a brick and mortar Trek, Specialized for the customer service. Which I definitely see the value but the trade off is around $1,000 more. I do tend to subscribe to the buy once and save in the long run instead of now. I’ve read that some companies also might quickly abandon a model and the e parts that go with it. But are the others that bad at customer service?
I have both an Aventon and a Lectric. They are both high quality bikes. Lectric customer service has been responsive and fair to deal with. I haven't needed to contact Aventon yet. Both are good quality bikes and both are US-based. I think I read that Aventon will soon start selling from Best Buy stores.

I have also come to believe that a torque sensor is what I would like. But is that only for high end bikes? I can’t really find any info on that type of sensor.
My Aventon Level.2 has a torque sensor and the bike was about $2100 from a local brick & mortar store. (An Indian motorcycle dealer, who started getting into eBikes during COVID when they couldn't get motorcycles) It has the rare combination of a hub drive (costs less) but with torque sensing.

Most bikes with a torque sensor are also mid-drive, so that they can use the chain & sprocket gearing too; those tend to be more expensive and are usually what's available from the traditional bike brands like Trek & Giant. They have the motor installed in the crank mechanism, so it doesn't turn the wheels directly. The other arrangement is hub motor drive, which is simpler, and less expensive and a bit less intuitive; when you start to pedal, the motor accelerates you to a speed you've set by the PAS (Power Assist Setting) level in the computer. If you pedal faster, the motor turns off. In my experience, non-technical women don't like this, but men can handle it. Sorry that's sexist, but it's just my anecdotes.

If you have a lot of steep hills, you'll probably want to go with a mid drive, even if it's an entry level Class 1. Otherwise, hub drive is fine.

Based on my experience, the Aventon is the better recommendation for you. Look at their bikes with torque sensing. The Level 2 is very rideable in the purely mechanical mode; it's just heavy compared to a regular bike. (64 lbs., I think)

Thank you for your responses! Well I’ve embarrassingly and stupidly overlooked that all e-bikes will be harder to peddle without any resistance due to the weight. So I should scrap everything I had written down and start from square one. This is mostly what it will probably be used for.
They will all be, to some extent. Someone posted about a low-powered, low-weight sporty ebike they had, but this doesn't appear to be what you're looking for, for your wife. Yes, I think you should not worry so much about weight unless you plan to tote the bike around. If it'll live mostly in your garage, it doesn't matter.

How far do you normally ride and do you feel the lectric bike provides you with the advertised range? How do you feel it handles hills?
You weren't asking me, but with minimal effort, and the PAS set to about 15 mph, 20 mile range is pretty easy.

I would also mention that there was nothing wrong with my Lectric. I contacted customer service because they ran a promotion where they included a free folding lock just a week after I bought my bike. I gave them my order # and asked if I could please have a lock. They said yes and sent me one. I thought that was a stand-up thing to do. Component quality is good, except for the stock seat. Brakes, tires, paint, welding, etc. are all good.

I guess a negative is that you can’t test it out prior to purchase?
Yep. You have to depend on reviews for this, or find someone local. Speaking of which, why not fill out your profile a bit more, so we can see where you live. Someone local to you might volunteer you a test ride. I know I would if you're in SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois...

For your wife, I would recommend a torque sensor, unless she's the brave sort. Most women will be scared when the motor kicks in; it's unexpected the first time and they don't like to get used to new things that take away any control or safety net from them.

The Level.2 is not the same style at all as the Trek (Electra) cruiser you were looking at. Scratch that one, as it has a forward lean she probably won't like. I think some of the higher-end Electra cruisers have mid drive w/torque sensing. Take a look; they'll have a big lump in front of the cranks.

Lectrics are nicer, but if she'll want it to feel like "a real bike" you can scratch them too. They all have 20" wheels and fat tires, so they don't feel like mechanical bikes. They're also heavier for their spec level because they fold. For example, my XP Lite weighs 40 lbs, but is only a single speed and only has a 350 W motor and a smallish battery. Go to something with mechanical gears and you're adding another 20 lbs. Bottom line is that if you don't need it to fold, don't buy a folding bike.

You'll also notice a lot of eBikes have fat, knobby tires. Don't buy that if she won't be riding offroad. They reduce rolling efficiency and are draggy pulling the knobs through the wind too.

Policies vary, but in general, I'd say you're supposition is correct.

I looked a bit on Trek's site and they have a couple that would seem to fit the bill for your wife:

They both have upright riding positions and mid drive, and are both about $1k above your budget, but I think they're more likely to satisfy and less likely to scare her away than a cheaper eBike with a hub drive. Plus, local support and it's an American company. The Townie has the cruiser style and balloon tires, the Trek has a more modern style and more efficient tires.

One other thing: I bought my first eBike thinking the same thing as you: I wanted to get it for my wife so we could go for bike rides together at more than 5 mph. I would ride my mechanical bike and she would ride the eBike. She didn't like the eBike I picked, though, as it was 74 pounds and she couldn't really handle it. She really didn't like the hub drive w/cadence sensor. (as someone pointed out, they're not always set up very well...) It was a heybike Ranger, for reference.

That set us back awhile, but this past weekend, she rode the Lectric XP Lite ($800) after some more instruction. The single speed mechanical drivetrain made it simpler. It's lighter. Doesn't feel like "a real bike" but she could still handle it. It feels more like a heavy BMX bike, when the seat is low. It was great; I was varying between about 3 mph to 20 mph. I like to go faster on the flats and downhill than she does, but she caught up when we were riding into a headwind or going uphill, which really slows down a fellow on a mechanical bike.

This was just released. Again not a bike I would buy or recommend, but it fits within the original idea, which is a bike light weight enough to ride unpowered. At 35 lbs, with generous gears, thats reaching into the possible here. But note the very small battery. Same limitation described before on that front. this is the first one I have seen with robust gearing.

Bikes like this seem to be best for a known-distance commute where the rider is packing very light (maybe work shirt, pants and briefs for example). The rides you describe fit something like this bike to a tee ... until you get to the part where you say you want the bike to work for "several hours". Thats the spot where I think bikes like this fail in your use case.

With that said, if you can find one with a removable battery, you can carry a spare in a backpack, which is pretty easy to do. Especially if you are already packing a sandwich or similar. For that matter a pannier with a blanket and a lunch basket can put a battery on the other side.

@Cmid02 you mentioned Trek and Specialized dealerships nearby. You might take an afternoon and do some shop visits to test ride and generally lookie-loo. You may know out of the gate these bikes are out of your price range, but you'll learn a lot about likes and dislikes by actually riding them rather than listening to all of us self-appointed keyboard experts.

By the way, if you haven't seen 'Cowboy' brand - no I did not make that up - its a transplant here from the EU and has fared well since its introduction.

Here's another contender thats a little closer to reality. Van Moof has been around for awhile. I spent some time last summer in Belgium and riding an ebike all over Amsterdam and I'd say the Van Moofs were the single most recognizable ebike brand (in a colossal sea of them, so there's that). I saw maybe 50 of them on a weekday as I rode all over the city.

The thing to pay attention to is Van Moof's 'outlet' sales where they sell demo bikes in two flavors: Ridden more than 500 km's and ridden less than 500 km's. Read the FAQ link on the for sale page of the individual bike to see the notes on bike condition. These bikes are about $1000 off of current prices. Some are right at your price range upper limit. An X3 fits riders down to 5' tall. You can buy a 'removable power bank' that adds another 100 km of range. Figure its really less than half of that because all ebike manufacturers lie like a rug when it comes to range, but still. You're starting to reach the kind of bike that can handle your 'ride for hours' criteria and still be a pedal bike.

Take a look at the Swift-X from Biktrix. I own three of their bikes, excellent product and support.

Back