Looking at Cargo Bikes

TALLGUY1234

Local time
9:53 AM
Hi..I am 6'5, 260#s...looking at various Cargo E-bikes..n it seems hard to get the clear picture for my size group..anyone have advice? Thank you.

Budget?
location?
desired battery range?
how much cargo/weight do you plan on carrying?

Groceries mainly, so say 30#'-40s max..10 to 15 miles round trip max..prefer to keep it economical so let's say less than $4k, preferably less..

Have you looked in the Ecargo bike subforum for something that might interest you?

Thanks..seems alot of discussion but...again..need advice on size, not general discussion..

They are generally one-size fits all, but at least from some of the discussion you can get an idea how different models look in the pictures and see what strikes you fancy.

I've had a few different cargo e-bikes since 2017, Fiido T1 currently fits my purpose and cost under $1700 shipped to my driveway.
vCYKilp.jpg

I don't know how well a Fiido T1 would fit a person over 6' tall; but I'm about 5' 10", I've plenty of room to raise the saddle if need to.
I'm about 180 lb. with all my riding gear on, The Fiido has plenty of motor to get me going from a stop to 25 mph or above. PAS (Pedal Assist System) has 5 different levels, I rarely get above PAS 2 for my riding in NYC.
Cast wheels (instead of spoked) require zero maintenance, likely to be more durable, too; strong enough for my motorcycles, should be strong enough for my cycling activities.
I like the size of the Fiido T1, since it does not have the extra long wheelbase as my previous cargo ebike:
vGmhyIH.jpg

Currently Fiido is doing a recall due to frame failures, I knew they were bound to fail before my purchase; but I still get out on mine.
I've been instructed by Fiido to stop riding my T1, replacement bikes are being sent to those who are affected by the recall. I'm expecting my replacement T1 to arrive by DEC 2022 or JAN 2023. Meanwhile, I've little to no concern of riding mine.
Below are list of improvements for replacement T1 model:
pzxvlr1.jpg

I don't know much about cargo bikes, I own an Ocelot Pro myself. However, I have heard one complaint that those models that have bench seats (moped style saddles) are hell to pedal. I suggest that you stick to one that has a traditional bike seat.

Second thing, that is true for all e-bikes. If you intend on getting a rear basket, then make sure you find (and preferably order) a basket that will fit the bike BEFORE buying the bike. There are a million options on bikes (well, it seems that way) but only a few dozen options for baskets. It's easier to find a bike that fits a specific basket, than to find a basket for a given bike. That's assuming that you are particular about appearances. If you don't care how the finished product looks, you can always find a way to McGyver a solution.

I have a non-electric Madsen. I'm 6' 4" and fit it fine. It can be had with a Bafang mid-drive kit and fits a ton of groceries in the bucket. I like the long tail layout. The components aren't the best, but they are okay.

Back