Locking my Ebike

Mark P

Local time
4:29 AM
Does anyone lock their E-bike when it is in their garage? How do you do it? Did you put an eye bolt in the floor, or do you use something else? What is a good light lock to carry on the bike in case I make a quick stop for something? Thanks...Newbie...

I went "whole hog" and got a "Pentagon locks chain-lock 110". It is...impressive. It is also MASSIVE and REALLY HEAVY! If I had a regular bicycle I'd be saying "nope, this is too damn much weight" and I'd never use it, but with the eBike I just wrap it around the rack and keep it with me. I also have a fairly hefty security cable that I thread through the chain-lock so that I can also secure the front tire.

In the garage (I'm in a very low crime area) I keep the garage door closed and use just the chain and trust the 75lbs of dead weight to help deter theft. I've considered also mounting an eyebolt but haven't done it yet and probably will never get around to it. [Edit: to be clear, the BIKE weighs 75lbs, not the chain]

I went "whole hog" and got a "Pentagon locks chain-lock 110". It is...impressive. It is also MASSIVE and REALLY HEAVY! If I had a regular bicycle I'd be saying "nope, this is too damn much weight" and I'd never use it, but with the eBike I just wrap it around the rack and keep it with me. I also have a fairly hefty security cable that I thread through the chain-lock so that I can also secure the front tire.

In the garage (I'm in a very low crime area) I keep the garage door closed and use just the chain and trust the 75lbs of dead weight to help deter theft. I've considered also mounting an eyebolt but haven't done it yet and probably will never get around to it.
WOW!

Initially, I purchased and mounted a big U-lock onto my bike, in addition to a steel folding lock and a cable I keep under my seat.

After riding around for a while with the U-lock, I decided it was in the way too much…..have to swing it to the side whenever removing the battery, and it was in the way when I mounted my bike to my car rack and my maintenance stand.

I live in a pretty nice area, more of a rural/suburban feel, and I’m unlikely to leave the bike unattended for long. I therefore decided to ditch the U-lock, and just keep the folding lock and my cable with me at all times.

If I ever go somewhere where I anticipate having to be away from the bike for a while, especially in a sketchier area, I’ll just toss the U-lock in my rear cargo bag, and bring it along.

We live pretty rural.....my driveway is 1/4 mile long.....we have a two car garage where my ebike is stored.....never locked. We also have good size shop full of tools....tractors....carriages...4 wheelers.....you name it......we have an 80lb black lab/karelian bear dog mix.....he kinda acts as a really good lock for all our stuff......he lets us know whenever somebody comes up the driveway.

your garage is very good because your bike also can stay with cars with nice security. But I have a question about the long distances, if you go what will you do lock or do not lock?
I rarely go places that I would need to lock my bike. If I did go some place and was going to leave my bike....I would always lock it.....I have a chain lock.....remove the keys and consider removing the battery if I was gonna be away for awhile. Bottomline.....if somebody want to steal your bike.....they will. Common sense should prevail.....if you're worried.....don't leave your bike exposed.

Pewag is the best chain in the world. Check out some YouTube videos about them...... Right now I'm using a Kryptonite 1275 New York Noose. Also the HipLok D1000 is supposed to be absolutely the best D-Lock you can get.... if you can get one. Watch those HipLok YouTube videos also.

Out of caution I always lock up my e fatbike when it's in the garage. A bit of a nusiance but I would like to keep it. My garage has the old style barn doors with brackets that hold a 2 by 4 to keep them shut. On top of that one side barn door is bolted shut and the doors each have a ring installed that my kyrptonite lock fits through to furhter deter a would be thief. I don.t lock up the 2 home made delta e trikes because of their size and most crooks are either lazy or stupid and are usually looking for an easy score. Also I park my truck close in front of the garage barn door as a further obstacle. There have been lots of bicycle theft's in my city the last few years fueled my meth heads. They spread out into the suburbs where there are lot's of easy pickings.

No, I don't; I don't think it's necessary. It kind of defeats the point of having a garage. (unless it's a community garage!)

I’ve used pretty much every style of lock over the years. Many designs have a problem reaching around an object and the bike. A covered heavy duty hardened steel woven covered chain lock is what is use on my e-bikes. Hardened 8mm or 10mm square or hex chain is the way to go. They can’t be cut with bolt cutters. But an angle grinder can cut them and most other locks also. Locks are at best a deterrent. Also I’ve found that these type chains are fairly expensive. I did find a decent deal on a 43” long 8mm hardened square chain lock.

Additionally I use a motion sensitive alarm attached under the seat.

And lastly an Apple Air Tag hidden inside the frame tube.

My garage is locked. When I'm out and about on my bike I carry a cable, and a small u lock. I figure with my insanely loud electronic alarm going off, the thief won't be hanging around long enough to complete his mission. I also don't stray far from my bike.

Pragmasis 11mm boron steel noose chain. Xena Motorcycle grade (Sold Secure Diamond) U lock and a second independent Pragmasis DIB U lock. Each component would need two cuts to defeat so a good 4 minutes of angle grinding. Maybe 2 batteries and a couple of blades. Thats as good as you can get from any lock.

I use a Xena motorcycle disc lock if I am just running inside a shop and back out again, where I can see the bike at all times and just want to keep anyone from jumping on and riding off. Some guy on Ebay was selling 'new-with-cosmetic-defects' cheap not so long ago and I got two $14.99 each instead of like $70. Looks like he is still selling them.

One of these days I am going to put in a ground anchor in the garage. I have a 13mm noose chain not doing anything that would pair well with that.
20230207_174116.jpg
20221217_102444.jpg

I wrote up a bunch of different lock stuff here

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This is my typical air tag installation strategy. Usually there is enough room for one on the battery locking assembly. It’s protected from the weather. Most thieves won’t find it. It’s usually not difficult to accomplish. So far I’ve done this same type of installation on 3 different brands of e-bikes.

Attachments

• 09338EC6-5F1F-4F7C-9287-D092B4B60183.jpeg
    09338EC6-5F1F-4F7C-9287-D092B4B60183.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 80
Back