Lithium charging question

rzza

Local time
4:55 PM
Hello all. I bought my son an electric scooter, it's cruises at 30mph super awesome but after only a few weeks it stopped taking a charge. Although he denies it, I suspect he discharged it too far by perhaps turning it back on when it died. When I plug the charger in the light doesn't turn red, it stays green and the fan doesn't turn on.
My question is, how do I determine the problem? I tested it with multimeter and its reading around 50 volts. Are there further tests I can run? I would rather buy a nice charger than a battery.

Thanks!

he probably blew the 10 amp input car fuse inside the battery case. or the output possibly 30 amp 250 volt output fuse which should be accessible w/o removing the case. the 10 amp is insdide the case. if the fuses are good then either the BMS is bad or a lithium cell(s) went low voltage.

Thanks a lot. I will diagnose further tomorrow. I really appreciate this.
he probably blew the 10 amp input car fuse inside the battery case. or the output possibly 30 amp 250 volt output fuse which should be accessible w/o removing the case. the 10 amp is insdide the case. if the fuses are good then either the BMS is bad or a lithium cell(s) went low voltage.

It appears that there are not any fuses in this scooter. I will have to open the battery I suppose. Its the 2021 Kede 48v from hypersports.

Attachments

• scooter.jpg
    scooter.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 176
  • scooter2.jpg
    scooter2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 170
  • scooter3.jpg
    scooter3.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 174
Hello all. I bought my son an electric scooter, it's cruises at 30mph super awesome but after only a few weeks it stopped taking a charge. Although he denies it, I suspect he discharged it too far by perhaps turning it back on when it died. When I plug the charger in the light doesn't turn red, it stays green and the fan doesn't turn on.
My question is, how do I determine the problem? I tested it with multimeter and its reading around 50 volts. Are there further tests I can run? I would rather buy a nice charger than a battery.

Thanks!
At first glance it sounds to me like the charger is bad. You probably could take to to an eBike shop and ask them to test it for you.

At first glance it sounds to me like the charger is bad. You probably could take to to an eBike shop and ask them to test it for you.
If you have a volt/ohm meter you can check the charger by probing the connector that plugs into the scooter to charge it. Be careful not to short the two probes together. Check the charger there should be a label that tells what the output voltage should be.

Last edited:
If you have a bolt/ohm meter you can check the charger by probing the connector that plugs into the scooter to charge it. Be careful not to short the two probes together. Check the charger there should be a label that tells what the output voltage should be.
The charger is good I tested it. I believe the battery is too low for this charger to operate (currently 49.8v). I wonder if a few minutes on my 84v charger at 1amp would charge this back up to the 51v range for me?

I purchased a 60v dc power supply. Tomorrow I will connect it and hopefully restore to over 50v.

Fixed it with the dc power supply. I used it to charge up to 51.8v then I put the scoot back together and its charging the regular way. Great device to have and cost 60 bucks.

Back