Limit Motor Wattage output

mikero55

Local time
1:35 AM
Hello All, I'm new hear and still researching ebikes, plan to buy in the spring. So far I like the Nireeka Prime and the Ariel grizzly. I live in Georgia and will do some riding in Tennessee. As far as motor limits Georgia allows 1000w and Tennessee allows 750w. The Nireeka prime has 1500w and the Ariel has Two 1000w motors. I know that I can programmatically limit the max speed to comply with each states max speed but is there a way to programmatically limit the motor output wattage for either of these or any other for that matter?

Thanks,
Mike Roberts

I think the motor watts rating depends on the internal windings.
Generally, mid-drive kits perform better in the hills and mountains. Hub motors can overheat during long climbs.
You may be surprised how well a 750 watt Bafang mid-drive can climb.
Mid drive costs more, but will last longer in the GA-TN hills.
-Sorry the Bulldogs didn't make the playoff this year. Great team, but they had a bad night when they played Bama.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Nireeka 750w instead of the 1500w. With the 10 speed gearbox I was leaning towards the Nireeka. I wasn't really planning on driving at 38mph anyway!
Thanks,
Cheers and Happy New Year!

Thanks, I'll have a look at the Nireeka 750w instead of the 1500w. With the 10 speed gearbox I was leaning towards the Nireeka. I wasn't really planning on driving at 38mph anyway!
Thanks,
Cheers and Happy New Year!
You should also check a Frey AM1000 It will climb hills like a billy goat and it is full suspension with the Bafang Ultra Max. It is the closest ebike to what I built/rebuilt. https://www.frey.bike/full-suspension-eMTB/Frey-AM1000.htm I have one from the first batch Ultra Max's in the US and it still runs great. If you get a Ultra Max try to get a Sram EX1 drive-train. It is a 11 to 48 8 speed made for ebikes and it is mind blowing. I have that with a 50 tooth chain-ring. It will climb until it flips over and can do 40mph on the flat. But it is really not how fast it can go on the flat. But how fast it can climb a hill.

Hello All, I'm new hear and still researching ebikes, plan to buy in the spring. So far I like the Nireeka Prime and the Ariel grizzly. I live in Georgia and will do some riding in Tennessee. As far as motor limits Georgia allows 1000w and Tennessee allows 750w. The Nireeka prime has 1500w and the Ariel has Two 1000w motors. I know that I can programmatically limit the max speed to comply with each states max speed but is there a way to programmatically limit the motor output wattage for either of these or any other for that matter?

Thanks,
Mike Roberts
Why worry about it? No registration required for e-bikes and not likely that the local LEO''s are going to set up road blocks and check wattage and even then they would need data to know what the output of a bike motor is for a particular model of bike. At this point in time the laws are out of sync with reality. I can bicycle along at 40 mph with my regular bike but am supposed to stay at under 28 mph with my Class III e-bike on the same road. In some cities e-bikes are limited to speeds of 15 mph but not regular bikes on the same streets and bike paths.

The first road association, the League of American Wheelmen, was organized in 1880 by cyclists to push for better roads and this was decades before auto associations arose. Clearly any improvements will require organizing and working at the local level to correct the situation where motor vehicles are favored over non-polluting bicyclists and pedestrians.

Thanks,
Mike Roberts
Some bikes allow you to program the maximum amps the controller provides to the motor. If you have such a bike you can adjust the maximum power of the motor develops and wants by reducing or increasing the amps the controller provides.

The formula for that is: battery voltage times amps equals watched motor.

Why worry about it? No registration required for e-bikes and not likely that the local LEO''s are going to set up road blocks and check wattage and even then they would need data to know what the output of a bike motor is for a particular model of bike. At this point in time the laws are out of sync with reality. I can bicycle along at 40 mph with my regular bike but am supposed to stay at under 28 mph with my Class III e-bike on the same road. In some cities e-bikes are limited to speeds of 15 mph but not regular bikes on the same streets and bike paths.

The first road association, the League of American Wheelmen, was organized in 1880 by cyclists to push for better roads and this was decades before auto associations arose. Clearly any improvements will require organizing and working at the local level to correct the situation where motor vehicles are favored over non-polluting bicyclists and pedestrians.
Thanks, and a very good point. I agree that LEO's are not going to be tracking down e-bikes and checking output. I am looking at converting my Trek with a Bafang BBSHD @ 1000w. I have found that the pedal assist modes limit the motor output to varying percentages of full. So that should allow me to stay within the prescribed levels.

Thanks,
Mike Roberts
I think you maybe getting concerned over nothing. Think about who is going to question you on the motors power and if they did how would the measure it. Just ride sensibly and no one will question you I bet.

You can buy "500W" stickers online.

Don't ride like an idiot, and you will not be hassled. Ride like an idiot, and you will cause us ALL hassle.

Thanks,
Mike Roberts
You can get the 11 speed XT gear setup. What I've been reading with middrive running the power through the chain it's best to upgrade to the best you can get.

You won't need to do anything. As long as you're not riding like an ass no one in authority will ever question your bikes speed or power.

Back