Light weight foldable e-bike under 50 pounds

Ordered placed on AliExpress back in OCT 2021, didn't receive the ebike until late FEB 2022.
I bought the 48V 25AH battery version, price was cheaper and free shipping when I ordered it from a different seller.
It sat in container at US port for over 10 weeks according to tracking info.
Along with a few other ebikes that were purchased around the same time.

XKIi8lF.jpg

Hi Ya'll, I have been in search for a light weight foldable e-bike to take traveling with me. I am 65 year old women and can lift about 50 pounds (if I have to) but would prefer 40 lbs. Also the bikes that I have tried did not have a very smooth transition from peddling to and the battery kicking in. Are their some that have a better intergrated system out there. Appreciate you advise and wisdom. I like the fatter tire bikes.
I believe the Carbo Model X starts at 28 pounds, and is surprisingly good quality. The frame is carbon fiber, and the Model X has a belt drive instead of a chain which just makes it perfect for such an instance. I have owned the Model X for about 5 months now and it has been super fun to drive!

If you are looking for minimum effort make sure to upgrade to the 350W motor, hills will just feel like speed bumps at that point.

I have had a few folding, lighter-weight ebikes.
They are great for small trips, slow in speed, not carrying much weight, but just to get around without having to walk the distance.

$800 Small 16" wheels with 350w motor seatpost battery that gets about 22-25 miles to a charge, with 180 lb. rider, speed tops out at about 16-17 mph, weighs about 36 lb.
c2CsFUQ.jpg

[...]
What bike is this, please?

What bike is this, please?

I bought it on eBay back in 2019, it was around $599, with my rebate I think I got it for under $300.
I can't find the seller nor the listing anymore.
It was the only 16" (sturdy) wheels ebike with 7-speed I could find back then.
Nowadays, there are plenty of options.
2FjKix7.jpg

Yes, there are lots of options.

HOWEVER - few if any of the named companies have been in business over 5 years, and likely few to none will be around 5 years from now. You need to make certain that motors, controllers, batteries, wheels, and tires are standard types produced by other companies and likely to be available in the future for replacement.

Brompton has been making folding bikes for a LONG time. Another is the Montague Paratrooper.

If I was going to buy a bicycle designed to fold up like an accordian I would NOT choose a company that just started making them recently.

I've been riding folding acoustic bicycles for over 16 years.
I've tried a Brompton for over 2 years, commuting in NYC metro.
IMO, they fold down nice & compact, they are light in weight, but not really worth the cost.
Too many proprietary (non bicycle industry standard) parts, and when something wears out, you have to get parts from Brompton.
Brompton folders tends to be more fragile than other brands when it comes to crash resistance. Few times when the bike just leans over and hit the ground at zero speed the handlebar/stem gets bent and you will need a replacement from Brompton because standard bike industry parts don't quite fit a Brompton.

Stuff like motor, controllers, wheels, they make those by the tens of thousands if not hundreds in China; they are pretty much standardized.
I have not seen an e-Brompton folder model in person, but I would think they would come up with their own motor/wheel, controller, etc..

Yes, there are lots of options.

HOWEVER - few if any of the named companies have been in business over 5 years, and likely few to none will be around 5 years from now. You need to make certain that motors, controllers, batteries, wheels, and tires are standard types produced by other companies and likely to be available in the future for replacement.
Well, that’s not necessarily a top consideration for <$600 bike. The company names change, but the designs resurface later with a new brand.
Brompton has been making folding bikes for a LONG time. Another is the Montague Paratrooper.
Yes, but those are multi-thousand dollar bikes. This bike AND my main e bike will be less than half the price of Brompton or Montague alone.

I do not like folders in general, and a cheap folder is just not something I trust.

Bromptons and Montagues have gone up a LOT since I checked last. Montys were about $750, non-electric.

One thing in particular with folders is a custom, non-standard battery case. Longevity of maker comes into play here, unless you just consider the whole thing disposable.

I do not like folders in general, and a cheap folder is just not something I trust.

Bromptons and Montagues have gone up a LOT since I checked last. Montys were about $750, non-electric.

One thing in particular with folders is a custom, non-standard battery case. Longevity of maker comes into play here, unless you just consider the whole thing disposable.
I guess I'll be in between whether I consider it disposable or not. If it broke, I would try to get help or parts from the company. If not, I would look for the next Chinese mushroom brand that had the rights to the design and try to get parts from them. If not, I would try to fabricate or modify it. If not, time to part it out and start again and see if I consider it worth spending big bucks on a name brand.

For example, on these cheaper bikes, they may use cheaper cells or electronic components in their battery pack or circuitry. I'd be OK with having the pack rebuilt with decent cells when it wears out.

To me, once a bike exceeds $1k, that is a serious investment that I would need to think about and budget for.

I'm kind of an e-bike virgin now. I just got my first one two weeks ago, and I'm loving it so far. ($1400 heybike Ranger; fat-tired folder, 500 W, 48 V, 15 Ah) It seems like I might spring for a really nice one at some point, but for now, I'm keeping it on the cheaper, Chinese side.

For me, been commuting on folding bikes for over 10 years, I see folding bikes as disposable.
I used to want to ride the best folding bike there is for my commute, but then the reality is that the more I commute the less I care about what I ride.
I just want something light, so it is easy to carry it up & down stairs. Something small, so I am a smaller target in traffic to get hit.
Something cheap, so when it gets stolen, I don't feel so bad.

The acoustic folder that I have been riding the most for the last 3 years is a $125 purchase from eBay, I ride it in all weather, rain, snow, road salt, mud.. it doesn't seem to care. It requires minimal maintenance, and I trust it to ride it just about anywhere in the NYC metro:
6SQbySU.jpg

Interesting.

I wanted light weight, so I electrified a road bike.

Changed the handlebars upside down because I wanted to be taller and bigger, to be SEEN. Eliminated recumbents for this reason, too low. Got lots of vision-deficient elderly drivers.

Don't have much weather, just rain and not raining. Also hurricanes.

Looks cheap for good reason. I deliberately added more funk. Other, actually less costly in total, bikes have been stolen parked near where mine was. Looks like crap, on purpose, though the crap is actually functional. Tennis balls notched for the frame make a good shock absorber for the battery mount. The duct taped box on the back will carry a weeks worth of groceries. The water-pipe insulation on the handlebars is dirt cheap and keeps my hands from getting numb on long rides. The plastic grocery bags on the seat are good disposable seat covers, can be removed if wet, and make it easy to change position slightly. The flashlight on the handlebars is mainly for legality if I am out late.

If I wanted to tour on it, it could be the perfect touring bike, for me.

In crowded areas, the small wheels and space-savings certainly work for some. For me, they were just unnecessary compromises.

Well, if you're not competing for road surface with cars in congested traffic, maybe a e-road bike is a better choice.
I ride between car mirrors in traffic, whenever traffic flow is below 10 mph, I filter to the front of all traffic, that's part of staying visible.
Visibility on the road among cars is highly dependent on how you ride as much as how big your bike is.
Working as a bike messenger in my youth in SF & Seattle has taught me valuable lessons how to survive on a bike in traffic.

Pedaling across the North American Continent as a teen on a Huffy 10-speed packed with tents & cooking gear as taught me how to tour on bikes just about anywhere. As my body gets older, recumbent is my go-to for any ride more than 3-4 hours.
Bike choices comes down to usage and environment.
Ride the same route long enough and you would determine what's best ride for yourself.
Reality is: any bike sits majority of the time more than it gets ridden; if it takes up less space, you have more room for other stuff.. or other bikes.

Interesting.

I wanted light weight, so I electrified a road bike.

Changed the handlebars upside down because I wanted to be taller and bigger, to be SEEN. Eliminated recumbents for this reason, too low. Got lots of vision-deficient elderly drivers.

<snip>

In crowded areas, the small wheels and space-savings certainly work for some. For me, they were just unnecessary compromises.
Nelson, why do you and the other guy hang out here and keep posting this kind of stuff in the FOLDING and Compact bikes subforum? You don't get to put them down enough in the other fora? :rolleyes: It's totally off-topic.

If you are lumping me in with BBasset, then you do not seem to be able to distinguish between Opinionated BS, and factual, accurate information based on real-world experience.

My bike is lighter and easier to carry than almost all of the folders listed here. Many look at folders purely for the supposed lightweight aspect.

Don't be so defensive. If you cannot handle a contrary opinion, based on facts and experience, not hype, perhaps the Internet is not the best place for you.

If I have made a statement which you believe to be factually inaccurate please point it out.

The reason I want to be VISIBLE, and not low to the ground, is that I am not dealing with hi-traffic and crowds, I am dealing with a high percentage of elderly drivers who simply do not see very well. Different people have different conditions to deal with, which often require different solutions.
For me, manouverability is secondary to the need for Visibility. For others, it may be different.

BUT - IF YOU ARE PUSHING FOLDERS, AND DENY THE VISIBILITY ISSUE, YOU ARE POTENTIALLY HARMING THE USER BASE.

To state that there are reasons to not get a folder, is not to "put them down". It is, very simply, that there are reasons not to get a folder. There are also reasons not to get a road bike, there are reasons not to get a mountain bike. It is dependent on riding conditions and the preference of the rider.

My bike is nearly perfect, FOR ME. I have never stated it is perfect, for someone else. The reason it works well for me, is that I carefully examined ALL AVAILABLE OPTIONS, with no bias, weighed the pros and cons, evaluated my wants and needs, which, like most people, are unique to me.

Many choose their ebike because it has pretty colors, or a catchy name. Only later on do they realize they did not buy a bike that was well-suited to their wants and needs. This is largely because they have no clue how the hardware acts to serve those wants and needs, or not.

If you are lumping me in with BBasset, then you do not seem to be able to distinguish between Opinionated BS, and factual, accurate information based on real-world experience.

My bike is lighter and easier to carry than almost all of the folders listed here. Many look at folders purely for the supposed lightweight aspect.

Don't be so defensive. If you cannot handle a contrary opinion, based on facts and experience, not hype, perhaps the Internet is not the best place for you.

If I have made a statement which you believe to be factually inaccurate please point it out.

The reason I want to be VISIBLE, and not low to the ground, is that I am not dealing with hi-traffic and crowds, I am dealing with a high percentage of elderly drivers who simply do not see very well. Different people have different conditions to deal with, which often require different solutions.
For me, manouverability is secondary to the need for Visibility. For others, it may be different.

BUT - IF YOU ARE PUSHING FOLDERS, AND DENY THE VISIBILITY ISSUE, YOU ARE POTENTIALLY HARMING THE USER BASE.

To state that there are reasons to not get a folder, is not to "put them down". It is, very simply, that there are reasons not to get a folder. There are also reasons not to get a road bike, there are reasons not to get a mountain bike. It is dependent on riding conditions and the preference of the rider.

My bike is nearly perfect, FOR ME. I have never stated it is perfect, for someone else. The reason it works well for me, is that I carefully examined ALL AVAILABLE OPTIONS, with no bias, weighed the pros and cons, evaluated my wants and needs, which, like most people, are unique to me.

Many choose their ebike because it has pretty colors, or a catchy name. Only later on do they realize they did not buy a bike that was well-suited to their wants and needs. This is largely because they have no clue how the hardware acts to serve those wants and needs, or not.

Are you responding to my post?

Can you include a picture of your bike or ebike?
some specifics about how much they weigh?
why do you think they are easier to carry than all of the folders listed here?

Defensive? Internet doesn't have to be the best place for anyone but I do make an effort to stay factual.
I stated reasons for my preference in folding bikes & folding ebikes for my own application & operation.
I reside & ride in more populated cities/area that have MORE cycling population;
therefore, my decades of cycling experience can reflect MAJORITY of the cycling population needs.

If you really want to be visible in traffic, carry a pool noodle on your bike:
Pool-Noodle-bicycle-Photo-by-Annalisa-van-den-Bergh-8-e1558012951961.jpg

No one said that your bike choice isn't perfect for you.
But fact still remains, folders take up less room than regular bicycles regardless of cycling needs.
Fact still remain that ALL bikes are just taking up room when they are not ridden, that's majority of every bike's existence in this world.
That's not bias, that's not opinion, that's not pushing for folders, that's just plain reality that applies to ALL bicycles, folder or not.

No, "A", I was responding to the post right above mine, who quoted me, and did not like what I posted.

He was comparing me to someone else who insists his bike is the bestest ever, something I have NEVER done.

You have large crowds, while I, and many, many others, do not.

You have small apartments, while I, and many, many others, do not.

You have significant hills, while I, and many, many others, do not.

You have potholes and rough roads, while I, and many, many others, do not.

There are different strokes, for different folks.

There is a man, driving in my state, he was on 60 minutes, had some sort of neck issue and could not turn his head to the left. He drives his car, and if his wife can not go with him, he just does not look to the left. I got lots of those. Blue hairs, FOPs, they are dangerous and I am actually giving some thought to the pool noodle. Low to the ground moving targets are not safe here.

I built my own, using a Walmart Denali as the donor bike. Added a lightweight front motor, controller and minimal display, rack and battery. Whole thing is less than 50 lbs, including lock and flat kit. Chose my motor very carefully. Could not find a user report of anybody breaking one. Spent a year or two researching and making a decision. Looked at EVERY POSSIBLE option. Eliminated weight, unneeded complication, failure points. Reliability and ability to get home was extremely important to me.

This motor, and bike, have never left me stranded. No replacement parts other than tires, tubes, brake pads. No expensive or proprietary parts on it. Have replaced the battery, changed from similar but heavier original donor bike several years ago. Total 8 years, roughly 25,000 miles.

I MUST lift my bike, frequently. I have a slow pedaling cadence and NEED to pedal regularly, but not all the time. So I need tall gearing, 48-13 is barely acceptable. Wanted to do a front wheel install as simplest, easiest, no interference with drivetrain, no changing of gear cluster. Denali has Steel front forks, straight uncurved blade, with a hole for front rack mount which can be used for a torque arm. Tall gearing.
Plus, I rode an unpowered Denali for several years, worked well, no issues, well suited to my needs and my environment and riding style.

Putting a small, geared hub motor in a 700C wheel is universally recognized as a bad idea. UNLESS - you have flat roads and no hills, and pedal only on takeoff. No suspension at 20mph is also a known bad idea. UNLESS you have smooth roads, sidewalks, back alleys, and wheelchair ramps everywhere, and never ride off-road.

Primary starting point for earlier post was people wanting folders for lightweight reasons, and I was pointing out there are other ways to achieve that.

People tend to get fixated on only one way to solve a problem, and also do not look at potential future issues which could be avoided.

Hi Ya'll, I have been in search for a light weight foldable e-bike to take traveling with me. I am 65 year old women and can lift about 50 pounds (if I have to) but would prefer 40 lbs. Also the bikes that I have tried did not have a very smooth transition from peddling to and the battery kicking in. Are their some that have a better intergrated system out there. Appreciate you advise and wisdom. I like the fatter tire bikes.

Back