Lectric XP extended warranty. Worth it?

SDGuitarMan

Local time
5:20 AM
New owner of a pair of XP 2.0 Long Range bikes. One has been solid, the other came with a bent rear wheel which Lectric replaced with another wheel. The other wheel's motor makes a grinding/scraping noise when under load. They initially tried telling me this was normal but I wasn't falling for it so they are sending me another wheel.

I've also been reading about controller issues, cracked frames, and other things that can go wrong.

Which leads to my question about the extended warranty. It's $89 for a second year. Is it worth it for the extra year? I know it's a gamble - they are betting that the bike won't break, you are betting that it will and would like to be covered.

What is the consensus, if there is one? Are Lectric's bikes and components reliable enough to last at least 2 years or should I get the extra year of coverage?

That's a tough one.....I have an XP 2.0......came to me in great condition. I had one minor problem with controller....kept getting strange error codes at start up....called Lectric.....they said to check connections on controller....they sent me a video on how to get to controller....took about ten minutes.....I pushed together all connections.....haven't had a problem since. I did not buy extended warranty.....I think you will have all the bugs gone within a few months. My two cents.

I had their original xp for two years and 3K+ miles with no problems. Sold it to a friend, still going strong.

Felt good enough about the company and products that I bought an xp Lite, 5 months 1K+ miles, no problems.

Generally I don't recommend anyone buying extended warranties, except for Harleys. But given your experience it may offer you a bit more confidence in the bikes.

Generally I don't recommend anyone buying extended warranties, except for Harleys. But given your experience it may offer you a bit more confidence in the bikes.
I usually don't buy them either but for $89.... Although I am a little hesitant about how well they would honor the warranty since they already tried telling me the grinding noise from the motor was normal.

Personally I would never buy an extended warranty from a Chinese ebike company just based on the amount of posts I see about them not even honoring the original warranty.

Personally I would never buy an extended warranty from a Chinese ebike company just based on the amount of posts I see about them not even honoring the original warranty.
I know Lectric uses frames that are mass-produced in China along with pretty much all the other parts they use but would you still consider them a Chinese or internet company? Their headquarters are in Arizona and they also have a regular store there. Basically their bikes are Chinese but they are an American company, at least I think so.

I know Lectric uses frames that are mass-produced in China along with pretty much all the other parts they use but would you still consider them a Chinese or internet company? Their headquarters are in Arizona and they also have a regular store there. Basically their bikes are Chinese but they are an American company, at least I think so.
They all seem to have a "base" in the western U.S., mostly CA, but it's often just a warehouse ime

They are an American based company who gets almost all their parts from China.....in that sense....they are just like almost all other ebike/non-ebike companies......just he way of the world these days.

They are an American based company who gets almost all their parts from China.....in that sense....they are just like almost all other ebike/non-ebike companies......just he way of the world these days.
So...an American company that sells Chinese-made bikes.

Yep......just like most products.....appliances.....tools.....tires......you name it.....good chance made in China.
That's what I figured. I don't have any issue with Chinese-made products but like anything else, their quality can vary greatly from one extreme to the other.

So far Lectric has kept up their end of their support and warranty although we got off to a rocky start with them first telling me the noise mine makes was normal then that it was the brakes. Finally talked to one of their actual tech/mechanics who said it sounded to him like the motor so they're sending me replacement wheel number 3. I'm not convinced but I'm going to take advantage of having the wheel off to put a washer at every mounting point of the back fender and any other attachments that might be rattling.

BTW, in Phoenix they do have a full storefront where you can buy the bikes in person and also a repair/maintenance department where they work on the bikes.

I’ve always been of the mindset that extended warranties are usually not worth the expense for anything.

That's what I figured. I don't have any issue with Chinese-made products but like anything else, their quality can vary greatly from one extreme to the other.

So far Lectric has kept up their end of their support and warranty although we got off to a rocky start with them first telling me the noise mine makes was normal then that it was the brakes. Finally talked to one of their actual tech/mechanics who said it sounded to him like the motor so they're sending me replacement wheel number 3. I'm not convinced but I'm going to take advantage of having the wheel off to put a washer at every mounting point of the back fender and any other attachments that might be rattling.

BTW, in Phoenix they do have a full storefront where you can buy the bikes in person and also a repair/maintenance department where they work on the bikes.
The storefront makes all the difference ime. I found this interesting but I'm a nerd about this stuff https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/topics/tools-consumers/made-usa

The storefront makes all the difference ime. I found this interesting but I'm a nerd about this stuff https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/topics/tools-consumers/made-usa
Yep. That's why I stayed away from the Amazon bikes from a million different brands that don't have a presence in the US. I only considered Lectric, Rad, and briefly looked at Sondor but for the cost and specs the Lectric won out. I'm frustrated with them right now but if/when we get this noise issue fixed, I'm happy with everything else. And if I absolutely have to I can take a 5 hour road trip to their storefront to let them work on the bike in person.

I’d like to jump in here. Do all of you who own Lectric bikes do the service/repair work yourselves?

The only ebike i bought pre-made was an aventon aventure.
All my ebikes are DIY since i feel i am better than an insurance policy and I cost way less ;)

As for repairs, it's always good to be able to repair our own ebikes when on the road or goin down a trail.

Research and people that know about these ebikes, are good tools to have :)

Not everyone wants to or is able to be their own warrenty or repair person for differing reasons though,
so to them i'd say, get to know your neighbors that do ebiking and their own repairs and or some shops that do repairs on ebikes.

I’d like to jump in here. Do all of you who own Lectric bikes do the service/repair work yourselves?
My Lectric XP 2.0 is about 1 1/2 yrs old......I have over 650 miles on it....aside from a minor loose wire problem on the controller....haven't had a problem. Their support was very helpful.....they sent me a video to solve problem....took about 15 minutes. There is a bike shop close by that will work on bike if required......never needed them but when I went in several months ago.....they had a Lectric in their shop.

I lived in the Phoenix area aka Valley of the Sun for 27 years and Arizonans are not real smart. I wouldn't say they are dumb as a box of rocks but not many can pour water out of a bucket unless the instructions are written on the bottom.

It's a primitive culture of unsophisticated sub retarded morons. They are generally like talking to someone whose lights are on but nobody's home. I'll never go near the place again.

Back