Brakes Lectric XP 3.0 Brakes...or lack of.

I just installed my new hydraulic brakes on both of the 3.0s I have. Pretty simple. They say the new wheel is so the spokes won't interfere with the caliper. The brakes work great, by the way. Took me a couple hours per bike because I had to remove their tires from the new wheels and install instead my recently purchased tires with the new tubes (filled with FlatOut).

I used a brake disc shim slipped onto the rotor when setting the caliper and that worked flawlessly.
Are you saying the kit with the new wheel is not centering the disc in the caliper?
If so,,, dang it Lectric, this is your second try to get this caliper where it needs to be.....

Is the pad itself positioned correctly and not hanging off the outside of the disc, creating that step in the pad material?

I have not installed my upgrade kit yet on my 3.0.

No, I'm not saying that. The brakes seem to be perfect so far. I was referring to a process where you use a gap adjustment tool to ensure proper alignment and gap while tightening the two bolts that secure the caliper to the bike. It's a process involving the use of a tool. Search for, "Rotor Disc Brake Gap Setting Alignment Tool" on places like Amazon. They look like this:
 Brake gap tool.png

You slip one over the disc between the pads as you set the caliper down in place. Then you clamp down on the brakes to hold them tight and centered, and tighten the two bolts. Next you let up on the brakes and remove the gap shim by rotating the wheel and the shim will normally follow with the disc and slide out for removal and reuse as a reusable gap setting tool.

These brakes use a different style pad. I haven't found any problem so far with overlap lips forming, but honestly, I haven't felt the need to check. The brakes are great and kudos to Lectric for providing this free upgrade.

My wife brought the Step Through model 12/22. So after the long winter, we finally got to put some miles on it. It's been about two weeks. Here's what I like and don't like.

Like:
  1. Fun
  2. Comfortable with the wide seat
  3. Works like it should in both Pedal assist and throttle
Dislike:
  1. The Brakes. They squeak. They are brand new. It doesn't grip and stop like it should. I hate the squeaking the most. What can be done here. It's brand new. Is this just how it goes with these type of brake system?
  2. The weight. Frankly, they should make two versions: Offroad with the fat, knobby tires and On road with skinny road tires for better efficiencies. This would reduce the weight and it would be much smoother on the road as well as getting better range.
So far, we've enjoyed it. We got the backseat and handle bars so my 8 year old can ride along. And she loves doing that. She almost stopped riding her own bike.
When I went to the local bike shop to pick up my Denago he said that Lectric had recalled bikes for brake defect!

Not sure if this is connected or not.

I too have an XP 3.0. At 385 miles, I had to replace the brake pads. There was no more adjusting that would work on them. Yes, they were a bit loud and sounded like metal on metal most of the time, because the pads do have a lot of metal in them. My rotors appeared scored too, from the pads. I found some replacement pads on Amazon that cost less than $11 for 4 sets. The reviews were good, so I bought them. They were easy to insert and had springs and cotter pin included. So far, they are a huge improvement. Smooth and quiet stopping. We'll see how long they last, but at that price point, who cares?

The other major issue with the rear brakes that I discovered and why I was losing any braking on the rear wheel was that the caliper mounting bracket positions the caliper about 2.70 mm too high on the rotor. This not only applies less pad area to the rotor upon braking, but also allows a lip to form on each pad where eventually you will lose all braking on that wheel because as the rest of the pads wear down, the two lips eventually "kiss" each other over the top of the spinning rotor and prevent further pad pressure against the rotor. I've emailed Lectric support, but I'm not sure what, if anything, they will do about it. I've suggested that they send me a bracket that sits the caliper 2.75 mm lower so no brake pad ridges will form. We'll see. I believe I've read where some riders are milling or maybe grinding the top of the bracket down to prevent the ridge formation, but that would certainly void the warranty.

In fact, I first asked Lectric support why they don't put hydraulic brakes on this since they put them on the trike, but their response was they'd forward my suggestion up the chain, but if I were to put hydraulic brakes on the 3.0, it would void the warranty. So, WARNING: Doing any of this or working on your own bike might void the warranty!

After the warranty expires, I'm considering a dual piston, mechanical brake such as these that I found after much researchView attachment 8763: ORIGIN8 BRAKE DISC OR8 VISE II MECH PM MTB:

It might be that the brake pads Lectric is using on the 3.0 have changed from what was on the 2.0. The rotor is larger on the 3.0, moving up from 160 mm to 180 mm. I met a fellow Lectric rider yesterday who has 2400 miles on his 2.0. He said he hasn't had to touch the brakes - even to adjust them. He's about my age and size and just rides around at about 12-13 mph at PAS 2.

My weight adds 180 lb to the bike and I keep it set at a level 2 and use PAS 2 or 3. Okay, sometimes 4 when I'm in a hurry, so an average speed on bike trails of 17-18 mph at PAS 3. I live in Florida and can ride on sidewalks here where there are no bike paths, so more braking for sure than on a bike path.

I'm no engineer, and could be way off on my assessment based on some unknown, scientific reasoning or engineering calculation, but I don't think so. I can only go with common sense and personal experience. Maybe I'm just stubborn at 70 years old, but check out these photos of the pads I replaced on the rear of the bike at 385 miles:
View attachment 8760

View attachment 8762
I

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back