Lectric XP 2.0 Review

JerryB

Local time
1:50 PM
Had my Lectric XP 2.0 now for a few weeks.....my first ebike.......really enjoying the ride. I got this bike for exercise.....have a new knee and hip on right size....can't get up the hills with a regular bike these days. The Lectric seems to be a really good fit. Been riding anywhere from 4 to 7 miles per day.....the bike is doing quite well. Very satisfied with the bike....came fully assembled....needed to put air in tires and charge battery. Needed to make a very small adjustment to front brake pad.....other than that.....the bike has been perfect. I got the comfort package.....love the seat and spring. I have about 75 miles on the bike already......I charge the battery after every 3 or 4 rides......I ride in PA 1 most of the time.....sometimes move up to PA 2 on small hills......I need PA 4 to get up my driveway...long and steep. I think I can get about 25 miles in PA 1 and 2 but......really haven't tested that distance. The bike fits me well....I am 6'4" and 230 lbs. I received my bike 6 days after ordering it.....that surprised me. I got the step thru model because of the knee/hip issue. The bike seems to be well made and adjusts nicely to the rider. For the money.....this is a nice ebike.

Just ordered one a week ago. Not shipped yet. Trying to decide how to transport it to trails. 65-70 lbs. is pretty heavy for my 72 year old arms to be toss it around. Thinking about using a hitch mounted cargo basket on my Ridgeline.

They aren't light weight for sure.....I don't think most folding ebikes are light. My bike weighs 64 lbs including the 7 lb battery. I transport my bike in the back of my pick up truck....in the folded position.....I can lift it up on the tail gate and slide it in the bed.....my truck has a hard tonneau cover and the bike fits nicely under the cover. You got me beat by 3 years......the cargo basket should work fine. Good luck...safe riding.

Thanks. Still exploring some ideas like maybe a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier. I’ll wait until the bike gets here to make a decision.

Just ordered one a week ago. Not shipped yet. Trying to decide how to transport it to trails. 65-70 lbs. is pretty heavy for my 72 year old arms to be toss it around. Thinking about using a hitch mounted cargo basket on my Ridgeline.
They make hitch-mounted bike racks that will accommodate fat eBike tires and heavy weights. Some even have ramps, so you don't have to lift the bike at all.

Most fat tire ebikes are hefty; even though Lectric XP 2.0 have narrower tires, they are still wider than regular 20" bicycle tires.
For heavier (+190 lb.) riders, the fat(ter) tires makes more comfortable ride and wheels likely last longer than narrower spoked wheels.
Smaller, lighter ebikes are better suited for lighter riders.
I sold my Lectric XP 2.0 about a month ago, right when gas prices started to get higher.
I put about 700 miles on my Lectric XP 2.0 for 7 month period.
Compared to Z2O in foreground, the XP2 has more acceleration from stop, throttle response is quick and more top speed.
do0Xa0n.jpg

I agree.....the 3 inch tires make for a very comfortable ride.....so does the front fork suspension and the comfort package seat......a real pleasure to ride.

Most fat tire ebikes are hefty; even though Lectric XP 2.0 have narrower tires, they are still wider than regular 20" bicycle tires.
For heavier (+190 lb.) riders, the fat(ter) tires makes more comfortable ride and wheels likely last longer than narrower spoked wheels.
Smaller, lighter ebikes are better suited for lighter riders.
I sold my Lectric XP 2.0 about a month ago, right when gas prices started to get higher.
I put about 700 miles on my Lectric XP 2.0 for 7 month period.
Compared to Z2O in foreground, the XP2 has more acceleration from stop, throttle response is quick and more top speed.
do0Xa0n.jpg
Why did you sell the XP 2.0?
Just to try something new?

Have you tried an XP Lite yet? I’m thinking of one of those.

Why did you sell the XP 2.0?
Just to try something new?

Have you tried an XP Lite yet? I’m thinking of one of those.

Because I bought it cheap, at $799... sold it for $750 cash.
It just wasn't portable enough for my commute, which could involve carrying the ebike up & down stairs, onto subway trains.

XP Lite single speed, I like gears; they allow me to adjust my cadence.

Because I bought it cheap, at $799... sold it for $750 cash.
It just wasn't portable enough for my commute, which could involve carrying the ebike up & down stairs, onto subway trains.

XP Lite single speed, I like gears; they allow me to adjust my cadence.
I wish they made an XP Lite with seven speeds. (Even if it meant another pound)

Three week update on my Lectric XP 2.0 Step thru........just loving this bike! Have put on 92 miles in three weeks......would be more but we had some rain. No major problems......had to adjust brakes as stated earlier...very minor. Also realized that my 7th gear was not engaging.....watched a video....adjusted screw....problem solved......a 2 minute fix. Really enjoying the ride......hills are no problem......I still use PA 1 about 80% of time.....been charging after every third ride......that's about 18 to 21 miles each charge......I could go further but figure....why risk it?? People are sure interested in ebikes......been asked about mine several times. Safe riding all!

Three week update on my Lectric XP 2.0 Step thru........just loving this bike! Have put on 92 miles in three weeks......would be more but we had some rain. No major problems......had to adjust brakes as stated earlier...very minor. Also realized that my 7th gear was not engaging.....watched a video....adjusted screw....problem solved......a 2 minute fix. Really enjoying the ride......hills are no problem......I still use PA 1 about 80% of time.....been charging after every third ride......that's about 18 to 21 miles each charge......I could go further but figure....why risk it?? People are sure interested in ebikes......been asked about mine several times. Safe riding all!
If you're riding in PAS 1, you could probably easily get 35-40 miles, unless you're letting the bike do all the work. What you should do is ride the ~20 miles, then ride around locally until she finally gives out. Wouldn't you like to KNOW how far it'll go? ;-)

Go to Lowes or Menards and buy a 50 gal. Heavy duty (2 wheeled ) tote. The Lectric folding bikes fit perfect in one. Unfortunately a EBike on a rear rack is a easy target now days. Best to keep them inside the vehicle.

Another idea, which will prolong your battery life:
  • Don't charge it fully. Charge it to maybe just 80%. You can tell when it reaches that level when the temperature of your power supply starts to taper off. (as it has switched to constant voltage mode at that point)
  • Don't wait for it to be discharged fully, either. When you feel like it's getting low, charge it as above.
Lithium batteries "like" to be in this range.

If you store it for the winter, try to leave it at about 30-50% charge level.

If you do these things, it'll double the life of your battery pack.

I had my Lectric XP 2.0 through this last winter.
Even though I ride the XP 2.0 in the cold, but I don't keep the battery in the cold if I'm not riding the bike.
I take the battery out from the frame and store it in room temperature for overnight or longer term storage.
The ebike batteries seems to do fine with heat.

If you're riding in PAS 1, you could probably easily get 35-40 miles, unless you're letting the bike do all the work. What you should do is ride the ~20 miles, then ride around locally until she finally gives out. Wouldn't you like to KNOW how far it'll go? ;-)
I hear ya but realistically.....my rides are always in the 4 to 7 mile range.......I know my limits and never plan to run out of power. I think 35 to 40 miles would really be pushing it.......I think I can easily make 25.

Another idea, which will prolong your battery life:
  • Don't charge it fully. Charge it to maybe just 80%. You can tell when it reaches that level when the temperature of your power supply starts to taper off. (as it has switched to constant voltage mode at that point)
  • Don't wait for it to be discharged fully, either. When you feel like it's getting low, charge it as above.
Lithium batteries "like" to be in this range.

If you store it for the winter, try to leave it at about 30-50% charge level.

If you do these things, it'll double the life of your battery pack.
Thanks.....I've been charging it to 80 to 90% most of the time....good advice. Should you charge it to full capacity periodically? Also.....I usually charge when I get down to the 30/35% level......43/44 volts........is that a good rule of thumb?

Thanks.....I've been charging it to 80 to 90% most of the time....good advice. Should you charge it to full capacity periodically?
I would only charge it to full capacity when I expect to want to USE the full capacity within a day or two.

Also.....I usually charge when I get down to the 30/35% level......43/44 volts........is that a good rule of thumb?
Now that I think of it, you can safely "fully discharge" it. The reason is that the controller will not let you actually fully discharge it. Once the pack voltage gets down to some lower voltage limit, usually about 2.5 V per series cluster, it will just cut out entirely. The pack is not actually fully discharged, it just reached the lower limit allowed by the software so you don't damage the battery cells. This is how lithium cells work: overcharge = fire. Over-discharge = damaged cells. They're delicate flowers, when you compare them to NiMH or NiCad, but the power density is so much higher that we tolerate it.

Other energy storage technologies are on the horizon. Some are a compromise between capacity & safety, like LiFe (Lithium iron phosphate) and some are superior in every way, but just need further development before they're ready for the big time. (super capacitors)

Sorry for the late reply. I'm just back from vacation from Southern CA, where eBikes are rampant.

I would only charge it to full capacity when I expect to want to USE the full capacity within a day or two.

Now that I think of it, you can safely "fully discharge" it. The reason is that the controller will not let you actually fully discharge it. Once the pack voltage gets down to some lower voltage limit, usually about 2.5 V per series cluster, it will just cut out entirely. The pack is not actually fully discharged, it just reached the lower limit allowed by the software so you don't damage the battery cells. This is how lithium cells work: overcharge = fire. Over-discharge = damaged cells. They're delicate flowers, when you compare them to NiMH or NiCad, but the power density is so much higher that we tolerate it.

Other energy storage technologies are on the horizon. Some are a compromise between capacity & safety, like LiFe (Lithium iron phosphate) and some are superior in every way, but just need further development before they're ready for the big time. (super capacitors)

Sorry for the late reply. I'm just back from vacation from Southern CA, where eBikes are rampant.
Thanks for the response. We use to live in So Calif 20 yrs ago....great place to be from. Lots of ebikes out there now....we went camping a month ago....must have seen a dozen in the campground. Thanks again.

I'm 71 years old and deadlifting my XP 1.0 into my Honda Fit would tear up my back. Instead, I use a scrap kid's playground slide as a ramp. It is short enough to slide inside my car yet long enough that the slope is manageable. Here is a video. Sorry about the poor sound quality:

Back