Lectric XP 2.0 or 3.0 which one should I buy?

georgej

Local time
5:24 PM
Title says it all. I've been trying to buy a used bike, but for what the prices are I decided to go new. 2.0 seems good enough to me. Opinions?

I love my 2.0 step thru.....well made.....price was right.....came assembled.....no significant issues.....I ride 4.5 to 7.5 miles most days except when raining.....good luck.

3.0 just became available for sale, tough to find them used.
If you can find a used 2.0 for good price, go for it.
If you can afford the full price, buy the 3.0, no doubt.

Title says it all. I've been trying to buy a used bike, but for what the prices are I decided to go new. 2.0 seems good enough to me. Opinions?
I don't have a Lectric but have noticed ALOT of complaints about the motors being really loud, alot of other issues and horrible customer service. I bought a Rattan and just now got it running again after fighting with their customer service since August. If I had to do it over again I would've saved up another $5-$600 and gotten a decent ebike preferably from a local shop in case of issues. As far as cheaper Ebikes go Rad seems to have a good reputation on the forums etc.
You're in the right place. I wish I'd checked out more forums instead of reviews before buying one. I just started doing Door Dash on my Rattan solely to purchase a better ebike. Hopefully it'll run long enough for me to get the Ariel Grizzly

I don't have a Lectric but have noticed ALOT of complaints about the motors being really loud, alot of other issues and horrible customer service. I bought a Rattan and just now got it running again after fighting with their customer service since August. If I had to do it over again I would've saved up another $5-$600 and gotten a decent ebike preferably from a local shop in case of issues. As far as cheaper Ebikes go Rad seems to have a good reputation on the forums etc.
You're in the right place. I wish I'd checked out more forums instead of reviews before buying one. I just started doing Door Dash on my Rattan solely to purchase a better ebike. Hopefully it'll run long enough for me to get the Ariel Grizzly
Sure hasn't been my experience......my motor is not load.....I have two friends with LEctric bikes.....no loud motors. As for their customer service......they have been very responsive....very helpful. These guys sell more ebikes than any other compnay in America.......I think most folks are very satisfied with their products.

Consider how many Lectric XP have been sold vs how many noise complaint have been told.
I have had three Lectric XP 2.0, none of them have any issues, not even flat tire.
I can't think of better value than Lectric XP for hub-drive, folding ebike.
Lectric have a decent market share, the low price and quality product help Lectric obtain their size in the ebike market.
I'm sure Rad have their share of problem units, too.. can anyone find the numbers?

I didn't mean to offend loyal Lectric enthusiasts and often people are quicker to complain about a product on a forum than praise it. That being said I have read alot of complaints about loud Lectric motors and lack of customer service to fix on several forums and reviews & didn't know if OP knew.

Again, you have to consider how many Lectric XP have been sold vs how many noise complaint have been told.
How many complaints have you seen from Lectric owners, 10, 20, 50?
Lectric must have tens of thousands of their XP models; can we honestly think none of them would go wrong?

Similarly to people's hesitancy to get vaccinated; tens if not hundreds of millions people get vaccinated;
do you honestly expect none to have side-effects?

But I digress, actual statistics need to come from reputable and accurate sources,
not just those that experience ebike failure or vaccine side-effects.

I agree and I mentioned that people tend to give more negative reviews, comments etc. than positive ones. The whole reason I mentioned it was not really the noisy motor but the issues with customer service. I wish I had read more posts on forums about how crappy Rattan customer service is before buying mine.
COVID is a liberal hoax, didn't you know that

I own two Lectrics. A step-through and a standard frame. I don't think it's the motors that are the direct cause of the reported noises. I think the motors cause a vibration which in turn causes something on the bikes to rattle like crazy. It could be the fenders, the rear rack (if it's the rear rack the 3.0 should solve this), maybe the kickstand, lights, battery, hinge point, maybe even the frame itself, who knows...

I say this because my step-through rattles like crazy when accelerating under load but the standard frame one does not. In order to rule out the motor as being the cause, I put the wheel from the standard frame on the step-through. The bike still rattled like crazy. Same wheel on the standard frame = no noise.

I just think some of the frames are more prone to the rattling noises for some reason. Maybe slight tolerances in the manufacturing process or something.

What I do know is that if you buy one and it rattles, Lectric will not exchange it and will expect you to spend unlimited hours of your own time troubleshooting the problem. If you complain enough they will set up a virtual meeting with one of their techs but unless their tech can fix it, you'll be stuck with a rattletrap that sounds like a $100 Walmart bike.

Also, their "service network" is hit or miss. At least in my area it's not reliable at all. I should have done more research into this before I bought two of their bikes.

Yeah, I'm a little frustrated with Lectric right now.....

Again, you have to consider how many Lectric XP have been sold vs how many noise complaint have been told.
Lectric must have tens of thousands of their XP models; can we honestly think none of them would go wrong?

Similarly to people's hesitancy to get vaccinated; tens if not hundreds of millions people get vaccinated;

But I digress, actual statistics need to come from reputable and accurate sources,
There is no 100% accurate source. I really doubt Lectric will release their internal statistics of the number of defective bikes they sell or complaints they get. Also, some people might receive bikes with defects and not even be aware that there is something wrong with their bike. Internet reports are from real people who are experiencing issues with their bikes. If there are enough reports, it's a good indicator of a problem.

If you happen to get a bike with a problem and the problem is easily fixed by replacing a part, Lectric is good at that. But if it requires more in-depth troubleshooting, you'll end up frustrated. Even if I end up getting my problem fixed after the virtual appointment with their tech, I still wasted way too much time on it for a brand new bike that came with a problem out of the box.

I didn't mean to offend loyal Lectric enthusiasts and often people are quicker to complain about a product on a forum than praise it. That being said I have read alot of complaints about loud Lectric motors and lack of customer service to fix on several forums and reviews & didn't know if OP knew.
Not offended at all......but......my experience....as stated has been very good........I would not hesitate to buy another Lectric if in the market.

I believe they have sold over 150,000 XP models......they are the fastest growing ebike company in the nation.

I own a 2.0 I have it as a back up and loaner and have had no issues with it. I put hydraulic brakes and a left hand thumb throttle on it. If you need a folding ebike. It works well. If you do not need a folding ebike. There are a lot better choices out there. Hydraulic brakes should be high on your want list. Bigger wheels would also be a plus in most cases. It really has a lot to do with where and how you want to ride it. They are putting torque sensors on a lot of new hub-drives. That is a game changer for entry level ebikes.

There is no 100% accurate source. I really doubt Lectric will release their internal statistics of the number of defective bikes they sell or complaints they get. Also, some people might receive bikes with defects and not even be aware that there is something wrong with their bike. Internet reports are from real people who are experiencing issues with their bikes. If there are enough reports, it's a good indicator of a problem.

If you happen to get a bike with a problem and the problem is easily fixed by replacing a part, Lectric is good at that. But if it requires more in-depth troubleshooting, you'll end up frustrated. Even if I end up getting my problem fixed after the virtual appointment with their tech, I still wasted way too much time on it for a brand new bike that came with a problem out of the box.
I'm starting to think this is an issue with all Chinese ebike companies not limited to Lectric. I ended up just filing a claim with my cc company against Rattan. The only help I got from customer support was months of daily non answers via emails, texts, and chats that I took screenshots of to prove my case to the cc company.

Back