Just got my first E-Bike and I’m terrified….

LovelyNancy

Local time
8:19 AM
Of having it stolen.
I just bought an E Lux Malibu GT step thru.
This is my first electric bike.
I don’t know how I went this long without realizing how awesome e bikes are.
Some friends recently talked to me about how much they loved theirs.
I have a motorcycle, so I guess I’ve kind of looked down on electric bikes.
Boy was I wrong. I did one test drive and I was sold.
I believe this can offer more freedom than a motorcycle. Much more unrestricted in where I can ride.
I’m also surprised that it’s a little more complicated than I expected. There’s definitely a learning curve.
As my title stated in my title, I’m afraid of having it stolen.
I live in Santa Monica, CA. We don’t have laws here anymore.
Everyone is pretty much on their own. :confused:
I’m basically never going to let it out of my sight,…ever.
I’ll probably be asking lots of questions and hope to get to know you all.

8CC8AF7D-B2B3-4CD8-A14F-6084BF8B3B37.jpeg
Thanks for the reply Human Person.
I like the alarm idea.
But right now, I’m not locking it and walking away.

Here is my new ride.

View attachment 3648Thanks for the reply Human Person.
I like the alarm idea.
But right now, I’m not locking it and walking away.

Here is my new ride.
Hey that is a pretty nice ride :)

How is the Hub drive on the hills in your area?
I would, if it were me get an alarm or a few locks/chains
That is a really neat and clean looking bike you have :)

Of having it stolen...
Once you know how to lock both wheels and the frame to something secure the very best thing you can do is get a cover that fits ground to ground all the way around. Think of your little baby like a Taliban father with daughters and put a burka on her. - https://photos.app.goo.gl/6qs3omh1GG1GGRJp6 Then the pervs can't be eyeballing your baby. You could easily smash a motion alarm with a hammer (or rock) before it even chirps, if you have a cover over the bike no one would even know it was there. I don't like to leave my bike anywhere either, a lot of the time I will walk her inside with me while shopping and have even brought her inside restaurants when there is a good place for her to wait. Good locks, an opaque cover, common sense, and the understanding that nothing is really safe in this world. Ride safe.

I've had a few bikes stolen over the years mainly because I thought a lock was good enough. I learned that the quality of a lock buys you a certain amount of time it takes to break it. I found some pretty good alarms on eBay and Amazon that are very affordable.
They have a simple remote and are pretty loud enough to attract attention if someone is messing with your bike.
Between those and a good lock I haven't had anymore problems.

I recently got an ebike that I'm fixing up and I tried one of the disc lock alarms. They seem pretty good too. Very loud and piercing sound. The bike is not going to roll with that thing on the brake rotor. So now I use the 2 alarms and a good quality locking cable together and no issues yet besides someone occasionally setting the alarms off by locking up or retrieving their own bikes form the racks.

Always lock your bike and take the battery out when not riding! My Pedego dealer said theft rate goes way down when there’s no battery!

Of having it stolen.
I just bought an E Lux Malibu GT step thru.
This is my first electric bike.
I don’t know how I went this long without realizing how awesome e bikes are.
Some friends recently talked to me about how much they loved theirs.
I have a motorcycle, so I guess I’ve kind of looked down on electric bikes.
Boy was I wrong. I did one test drive and I was sold.
I believe this can offer more freedom than a motorcycle. Much more unrestricted in where I can ride.
I’m also surprised that it’s a little more complicated than I expected. There’s definitely a learning curve.
As my title stated in my title, I’m afraid of having it stolen.
I live in Santa Monica, CA. We don’t have laws here anymore.
Everyone is pretty much on their own. :confused:
I’m basically never going to let it out of my sight,…ever.
I’ll probably be asking lots of questions and hope to get to know you all.
I bought a cheap, $10, alarm off Amazon. They came as a set of 3 and are meant to be hung on door knobs. I hide mine under the seat. It's a little sensitive but LOUD as all hell!

Nice looking bike. Hope you enjoy it.

I've got one of these boogers: Kryptonite!
It's highly rated and seems very sturdy, but mine has never been tested in the real world as far as I know.

A lot of people also put Apple Air Tags on their bikes. If you have an Apple phone or tablet the tag can help you track the location if it's stolen. Take some big, mean guys with you! ;)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Nice looking bike. Hope you enjoy it.

I've got one of these boogers: Kryptonite!
It's highly rated and seems very sturdy, but mine has never been tested in the real world as far as I know.

A lot of people also put Apple Air Tags on their bikes. If you have an Apple phone or tablet the tag can help you track the location if it's stolen. Take some big, mean guys with you! ;)
Ebike thefts have become insane in my area. Luckily I bring it up to my apartment and most stores will let you park them indoors. It's often just the battery but they end up causing so much damage in the process they destroy the bike

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If someone wants your bike bad enough and it is in a public place there is nothing you can do to stop it. A cordless grinder will take about 10 sec or less to cut through almost any lock.

However, there are things you can do. The biggest thing is to not allow your bike to be an easy target.

Thes articles discuss other strategies:
https://www.bikelockwiki.com/how-to-stop-your-bike-being-stolen/

I carry one of those brake light,strobe,solid, horn, and alarms on my bike. The thing is I actually have to remember to set the alarm once parked. after many years of not having one, makes it hard for me to remember. to date, ive used my bike equipped with alarm twice now during a grocery run, and both times left the fob on the bike and not set. Jeez! lol

I bought a cheap, $10, alarm off Amazon. They came as a set of 3 and are meant to be hung on door knobs. I hide mine under the seat. It's a little sensitive but LOUD as all hell!
Portable Wireless Touch Door Sensor Anti Theft Security Alarm Loud Door Knob Touch Alarm for Door Handle 120dB Ultra Loud Alarm Ringing https://a.co/d/2APHTDa I couldn't find the exact alarm I bought but it's this style I just hide it under the seat

Portable Wireless Touch Door Sensor Anti Theft Security Alarm Loud Door Knob Touch Alarm for Door Handle 120dB Ultra Loud Alarm Ringing https://a.co/d/2APHTDa I couldn't find the exact alarm I bought but it's this style I just hide it under the seat
It's VERY loud but pretty sensitive. I can here it from anywhere inside Kroger/King Soopers

....AAAND she's gone.

I hope she bought a good kryptonite lock and is enjoying herself out there in lovely Santa Monica.

Back