Just got my first E-Bike and I’m terrified….

Pretty much any lock can be cut with a portable angle grinder. But it’s a deterrent along with an audible motion alarm like everyone has stated. The other item to use is an Apple Air Tag hidden in the bike frame. I took the battery locking end cap out of my frame (it’s an in-frame battery) and glued the AirTag on the backside of it and reinstalled it. Can’t see it and almost can’t hear it. So if the bike is taken I will definitely be able to locate it, and then notify law enforcement. Make sure you have a photo of the frame serial number so you can give that info to LEO when they go to retrieve the bike.

This is what I use plus the AirTag

Bicycle Lock Heavy Duty Anti-Theft Chain Lock for with Special Hardened Steel

Bike Alarm Wireless Waterproof Bicycle Motion Sensing Alarm USB Charging Remote Control

Pretty much any lock can be cut with a portable angle grinder.

This is a great video to watch even so it focuses on motorcycle locks. Some of these locks can still be used with ebikes. One of the locks in this video required a plug in angle grinder with a diamond blade and another required a portable band saw. Enjoy!

The Aventon Level.2 I just bought has a VIN, which the salesman pointed out to me and recommended I let my insurance company know about it.

I'm a little worried that might open it up for licensing as a moped...

I store it in my garage at home and don't leave it locked up overnight outside, and I lock with with a U-lock, so the most anyone can really do is to steak the quick release seat or try to steal it in broad daylight. I presume if there was a break-in at my house and it was to be stolen, I'd claim it against my homeowner's policy.

4/27 Update: I just replaced the quick-release seat collar with an allen bolt type. The seat was I think $150 and the seatpost was $90, so it was worth the $6 investment.

The Aventon Level.2 I just bought has a VIN, which the salesman pointed out to me and recommended I let my insurance company know about it.

I'm a little worried that might open it up for licensing as a moped...

I store it in my garage at home and don't leave it locked up overnight outside, and I like with with a U-lock, so the most anyone can really do is to steak the quick release seat or try to steal it in broad daylight. I presume if there was a break-in at my house and it was to be stolen, I'd claim it against my homeowner's policy.
I don't think that would apply if you are insuring it against theft only. Although, having vehicle insurance in case of accident (for hospital fees, damage, liability, etc) could be interesting for a commuter bike.

Nancy I love your bike. Pretty bike. Love the color, really stands out and is vibrant. Classic frame yet modern with the electronics.

There has been good advice here, but I may add I never let my bike out of my sight. I know I sent you a PM about this, but to give input in this discussion I will post here. Like you, I live in the greater LA area. Being a very populated city with random crime and with the popularity of eBikes, I rather not leave a good non-motorized bike or an eBike out of sight. I ride for fun and exercise but I don't see any reason to ride an eBike to go shopping or eat. I don't know how how one goes on a Costco run on an eBike. I don't know how to carry my guitars and amps around on an eBike. How to visit friends in OC on an eBike. I have a car and I will use that to shop and visit friends in neighboring counties. I see people post here or I see YouTube videos of people who sold their cars in favor of having an eBike only. That is fine for them but I find that so impractical. That won't work for me. No car means being very limited. That said, I do carry a lock and cable in case I need to use the restroom or need to lock up for some reason but so afr not had to use the restroom while on rides. I did have a flat once in July of 2020 and didn't have a spare tube on me. Now I carry that stuff around. When I had the flat I walked my bike to a local bike shop about a couple miles away yet they were closed. I had no choice but to lock it up to a light pole, take the bus three miles, walk an mile to my SUV, then drive back to get my bike and drive home. Then next day I brought to a different bike shop to get tire fixed. Worked out because the bike shop that was closed, was open the next day and I called and asked how much they charge to fix a flat. It was an outrageous price let us just say, but the one near my house was only $8. My flat occurred in Arcadia and I walked my bike to Temple City where I locked it. This may not mean much to you but point is those are safe and low crime cities where most people behave themselves BUT as far as bikes goes any safe low crime city you can have your bike stolen by criminals crusing different cities to steal bikes. This was my non-motorized bike before I got an eBike. That said I would not leave any bike out of sight. Ride for fun, ride for exercise but I suggest don't ride to eat or shop or the movies. Eventually it will be stolen, most likely.

4/27 Update: I just replaced the quick-release seat collar with an allen bolt type. The seat was I think $150 and the seatpost was $90, so it was worth the $6 investment.
You might consider a seat leash as well. Its a simple, thin, short cable where you loop it thru itself down at the seatstay, and then install the other loop inside the seat rails. Its not like its enormous added security but its another layer to an onion. This one comes from Kryptonite and I get them on Amazon here:

20230303_145246.jpg

I also use a double-bolt post clamp - Primarily to ensure the saddle never moves, ever, but it also adds still another half minute to a theft attempt.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The best thing to do is never let your bike out of your sight unless you know it's in a secure location, like in your living room.. A lock is useless if you're not near your bike, but the high end kryptonite U locks are the hardest to cut. When you lock your bike it's important to lock it to something immoveable, like a bike rack, or iron railing. Since I'm never very far from my bike, I personally use a cheapy cable lock in conjunction with an alarm. The alarm allows me to not necessarily see my bike every second, as long as I can hear the alarm. This one works pretty good, but so far the only person I've caught with it was me, because I usually forget when it's armed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1JWCNV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The best thing to do is never let your bike out of your sight unless you know it's in a secure location, like in your living room.. A lock is useless if you're not near your bike, but the high end kryptonite U locks are the hardest to cut. When you lock your bike it's important to lock it to something immoveable, like a bike rack, or iron railing. Since I'm never very far from my bike, I personally use a cheapy cable lock in conjunction with an alarm. The alarm allows me to not necessarily see my bike every second, as long as I can hear the alarm. This one works pretty good, but so far the only person I've caught with it was me, because I usually forget when it's armed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1JWCNV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What kind of paranoid life is that? I don't want to live like that.

Lots of folks need to live in a safer area.

Don't be a target. Been going to a local grocery store on my ebike for 10 years now. No problem. Fella with a nice, new, pretty brand-name bike only saw him there a couple times, then there was a STOLEN poster with a picture and reward offered. My bike is butt-ugly. Cheap lock.

VIN number on ebike is extremely rare. Yes, you can register it as a moped, MORE IMPORTANT, you can get an actual title. Most bicycles there is no legal way to establish ownership. Prove the crackhead is lying when he tells the cops he gave you $1,000 cash for it.

I don’t tend to leave my bike unattended very often, and when I do, it is usually for a relatively short period of time. I’m fortunate that I can keep the bike in my office at work on days I commute.

Today was one of those exceptions. I drove it up into Canada for its first international excursion. Rode along some really great paths along the river and through vine & wine country, and then locked it up in a nice little village while I did some dining and shopping.

My security involved:

• Big steel C-Clamp going thru the frame
  • Folding steel clamp connecting the rear wheel to the frame
  • Cable lock connecting the C-Clamp to the front wheel.
  • Locked the bike up in a visible area near a park
The area I was in was pretty quaint and upscale, but despite that, I started to feel nervous when I saw a few cut cables attached to bike posts in the village. Was glad my bike was still waiting for me when I got back.

My Jeep and bike rack hitch were parked about 12 miles away, and I had the rack locked to the Jeeps frame with a cable, and the hitch attached with a keyed bolt.

074D2C34-CE0B-4E30-A67E-05514D782E2B.jpeg

Ended up roping my helmet through my C-Clamp. :)

Of having it stolen.
I just bought an E Lux Malibu GT step thru.
This is my first electric bike.
I don’t know how I went this long without realizing how awesome e bikes are.
Some friends recently talked to me about how much they loved theirs.
I have a motorcycle, so I guess I’ve kind of looked down on electric bikes.
Boy was I wrong. I did one test drive and I was sold.
I believe this can offer more freedom than a motorcycle. Much more unrestricted in where I can ride.
I’m also surprised that it’s a little more complicated than I expected. There’s definitely a learning curve.
As my title stated in my title, I’m afraid of having it stolen.
I live in Santa Monica, CA. We don’t have laws here anymore.
Everyone is pretty much on their own. :confused:
I’m basically never going to let it out of my sight,…ever.
I’ll probably be asking lots of questions and hope to get to know you all.
I totally understand your feeling. I try not to leave my e bike unattended and out of sight. I do have a lock and alarm that makes me feel a little better. My answer to you is keep your eye on it and just don't leave it unattended. I don't ride to places where I can't watch it, seems too bad that you have to limit to freedom but that seems to be the world we live in these days.

I'm with you Nancy, I love my e-mtb. (e-mountain bike) Last year while hunting antelope in north central Nevada I was on foot and watched guys on ATVs push the antelope into the back back country. It was then I wished I had my buddy's fat tire e-mountain bike. Now I have my E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown 2 wheel drive, 2 battery, dual suspension E-MTB and love it.
Like you I was terrified of losing "My Precious" to thieves so I got British made LITE LOK and a heavy Kryptonite cable and an Apple Air-tag. Now to get some Velosurance to fully protect my $5,100. investment in fun.

Not when the bike is more valuable than the battery.
Tho if a thief doesn't have an extra 5 mins to spare to defeat the locks on a bike that has a battery they can and will steal the battery or anything else that can be easily detached. esp in any place such as LA or any bid city in the US . so its still best to not leave a battery with the bike if one can help it. and even if someone theif steals a bike without a battery they are not going to have as easy of a time just riding away with the bike or have an easy time selling a stolen e-bike to someone without a battery

Back