Juiced closeout eMopeds

Smaug

Local time
1:42 AM
(no affiliation with Juiced)

These look like well-made mopeds. I recall reviews saying so as well. All their bikes have free shipping and the packaging looks like it would even stand up to United Parcel Smashers.

Here's what they have on sale right now. I'm weakening; might just throw one on the credit card...:

HyperScorpion Express (marketed for delivery riders) [LINK]
  • 1,000 W motor (they don't specify if that is continuous or peak; watch your local laws)
  • Big, sturdy rear rack; I love this!
  • Street tires
  • Fenders
  • Full lighting
  • 30+ mph (watch your local laws)
  • 52 V, 19.2 Ah Listed battery
  • On Closeout for $1,999 US
  • Cadence AND torque sensing PAS
  • "70 mile range" (maybe at 10 mph with me pedaling hard)
  • Looks like maybe they use proprietary batteries, and they're $800 to replace.

HSE22-RtSide_1000x666_crop_center.jpg

HyperScorpion: (As above, but with a normal luggage rack and $100 cheaper) [LINK]
  • Also available in boring colors
  • $1,899
HyperScorpion2022-Blue-RtSide_1000x666_crop_center.jpg

HyperScrambler 2: (dual battery action!) [LINK]
  • Long seat, but no luggage rack
  • Dual battery option!
  • Fenders aren't included and are an extra hunge
  • Cast wheels
  • Also on closeout for $1,999
  • Street tires, License plate frame and full lighting means they know it's not going to qualify as an eBike everywhere :-(
HyperScrambler22-Red-RtSide-Single-Battery_1000x666_crop_center.jpg

I had a Juiced Scorpion for about 8 months, very stout e-moped, everything seem built to last.
52V power output is very nice. The seating position is a bit short for me, just a bit heavy for my liking.
Sold it after 600 miles, it's a nice solid bike though.
R7GXtl3.jpg

(no affiliation with Juiced)

These look like well-made mopeds. I recall reviews saying so as well. All their bikes have free shipping and the packaging looks like it would even stand up to United Parcel Smashers.

Here's what they have on sale right now. I'm weakening; might just throw one on the credit card...:

HyperScorpion Express (marketed for delivery riders) [LINK]
  • 1,000 W motor (they don't specify if that is continuous or peak; watch your local laws)
  • Big, sturdy rear rack; I love this!
  • Street tires
  • Fenders
  • Full lighting
  • 30+ mph (watch your local laws)
  • 52 V, 19.2 Ah Listed battery
  • On Closeout for $1,999 US
  • Cadence AND torque sensing PAS
  • "70 mile range" (maybe at 10 mph with me pedaling hard)
  • Looks like maybe they use proprietary batteries, and they're $800 to replace.

HSE22-RtSide_1000x666_crop_center.jpg

HyperScorpion: (As above, but with a normal luggage rack and $100 cheaper) [LINK]
  • Also available in boring colors
  • $1,899
HyperScorpion2022-Blue-RtSide_1000x666_crop_center.jpg

HyperScrambler 2: (dual battery action!) [LINK]
  • Long seat, but no luggage rack
  • Dual battery option!
  • Fenders aren't included and are an extra hunge
  • Cast wheels
  • Also on closeout for $1,999
  • Street tires, License plate frame and full lighting means they know it's not going to qualify as an eBike everywhere :-(
HyperScrambler22-Red-RtSide-Single-Battery_1000x666_crop_center.jpg
Looks like great value but keep in mind this style of ebike is not designed for pedaling. Also I would be looking to see what cells their batteries are made with Samsung, LG are preferred.

I had a Juiced Scorpion for about 8 months, very stout e-moped, everything seem built to last.
52V power output is very nice. The seating position is a bit short for me, just a bit heavy for my liking.
Sold it after 600 miles, it's a nice solid bike though.
How tall are you and what is your inseam? I'm curious if it would be tight for me as well, at 5'8 with a 30" inseam?
They advertise it's fine for up to 6'3, but I guess that assumes one is OK with bent knees and no pedaling?

Speaking of pedaling, is it pedal-able at all without power in the lowest gear, or is it mostly wasted?

How about in Limp Home Mode; were you going about 10 mph in low gear? Any climbing possible?

How is the inner thigh rubbing when pedaling? Will it chafe or does it narrow enough in the front of the saddle?

I'm 5'10", about 34" inseam.
The pedaling action on the Scorpion is is so much the problem, more how wide the seat nose is.
I got used to pedaling within an hour of riding it, but the weight of the Scorpion really demands the low gear to tackle the hills.
I don't mash the pedals with low rpm cadence, I try to keep my legs spinning at least 60-70 rpm on the hills.
The wide nose section of the seat just hinders to leg movement.
I guess if you are used to pedaling at lower cadence the wide nose may not be so much of an issue.
For me, I really feel the extra weigh of the Scorpion, only because it is built so tough, seems overkill for me.

The issue is the distance from the pedals and the angle. Does not make for efficient or comfortable pedaling. Most that but this style of e bike use them motor like a moped and use throttle more than pedals.

For me the Juiced Scorpion rear suspension was really over sprung.
Maybe because I didn't carry enough (cargo & rider) weight.
At 175 lb. fully dressed, I felt the ride was harsh & not much damping, maybe I should have ridden it with less tire pressure like 10-12 psi.
The tires on the Scorpion are really nice for the pavement though, quiet & fast rolling with plenty of traction when leaned over.
8KtjCZO.jpg

Before I sold the Scoprion, I did try changing the handbar position & raise the seat height.
Still wasn't quite enough to compensate for the harsh suspension.
DAKRAxs.jpg

EBlo7yK.jpg

I’ve had the Hyper Scorpion for about 6 months now and love it! I’m 5’-7” 73 yrs. old and drive it to my volunteer job 2-3 days a week 23 miles round trip, it fits me perfectly!

I just bought a Hyper Scrambler 2 on closeout; won't ship til mid-November, though. $2500 with both battery packs, compared to the release price of $3k with one pack and $500 for the spare. Juiced's site says they're discontinuing it. I question that, because the late ship date means they haven't been produced yet. If they were going to discontinue it, they wouldn't keep scheduling future production runs, right?

Assuming they're wrong and they WILL discontinue it, what improvements would they make? It's already got a 1kW (sustained) motor, cast wheels, good lighting, hydraulic brakes, etc. The thing people complain about on it is the bad seat and the fact that they don't include rack or fenders. Oh and folks don't seem to like the Inova tires. It doesn't look as good with a rack as the Hyper Scorpion, but $150 extra for fenders really galls.

That's a shame the Hyper Scorpion is over-sprung, but I guess they built it for the chunky American demographic and food delivery guys. I wonder if they make thinner springs or if they could be sourced from China or AliExpress? Ditto for fenders for the Hyper Scrambler.

[...]

That's a shame the Hyper Scorpion is over-sprung, but I guess they built it for the chunky American demographic and food delivery guys. I wonder if they make thinner springs or if they could be sourced from China or AliExpress? Ditto for fenders for the Hyper Scrambler.
Adding that a lot of Juiced owners are fitting aftermarket shocks with remote reservoirs. Users seem to like them, but I wonder how effective they are with sharp quick bumps like potholes. (due to the massive unsprung weight of the rear wheel)

Suspension is a common area manufacturers like to cheap out on. It's ok though, there's a lot of good aftermarket shocks, and prices have actually come down compared to years ago.

Suspension is a common area manufacturers like to cheap out on. It's ok though, there's a lot of good aftermarket shocks, and prices have actually come down compared to years ago.
I disagree that it's OK. When something is provided on something we buy, it should be decent quality and should work properly. It should not have to be immediately replaced. We PAID for it.

In the case of the rear shocks on the Juiced HyperScorpion & -Scramblers, they are oversprung except for morbidly obese people. They would probably work OK for people weighing 220+ lbs. That ignores all women of healthy weight and most men. All they need to do is put a tiny bit of effort into it to provide a slightly thinner spring and it would be fine. It doesn't have to be "nice" or "top quality", but it should at least be functional for a majority of the population.

I DO understand that we're fatter here in general that any other country, but even so, it should be adjustable to be functional for someone weighing < 200 lbs.

An analogy to this is pedals on bikes. Higher end bikes are not always provided with pedals, because customers of those bikes will often want different clip types, etc. At least we're not wasting money on them though!

On lower end bikes, low-end pedals are supplied. They are not the best, (high friction bearings, lots of plastic) but they are functional and of reasonable quality. Many customers will ride the whole life of the bike on those pedals and not know or care.

...but almost EVERYONE who rides one of these aforementioned Juiced eMopeds complains about the rear shocks at some point. Why buy a full suspension bike if the rear suspension is not functional or is only functional in theory?!

{/rant}

Sorry for the rant, but I am on a crusade to educate buyers about these bikes. I'm not sponsored, so I don't care if the mfrs. are upset by what I say. I'd rather save someone some money.

For similar money as a Juiced HyperScrambler 2, one could get a Ride1Up Revv1, which seems to have nicer components all-around; it's just that it doesn't come with dual batteries. Better brakes, better tires, better seat...

I ran into the same "over-sprung" issue on my Zeegr S1. I ended up replacing the unit with another shock bought on Amazon. I also bought a cheap junk shock which had a hundred pound lighter spring (650 pound), which had the same dimensions. I ended up swapping the spring off the cheap 15 buck shock onto the body of the more expensive spring. Now my ride is perfect.

5 On the bike.jpg

Back