Journalist: Tell me how your e-bike enhances your life

dreierF

Local time
4:38 AM
Hi there, my name is Fred and I'm a journalist. I'm writing a piece that is a rebuttal to the recent Atlantic story "E-bikes Are An Abomination," and I am looking for anecdotes from other e-bike owners (I have a Radwagon) about how the bike contributes to your life. Feel free to email me if you'd like to participate fdreier@outsideinc.com. I'd love to hear from you.

My wife and I are retired and live in an area that has many more hills than flats, some with 20%+ grades. If it wasn’t for ebikes, I would be riding alone.

We ride class 1 and usually ride four times a week and ride between 15 and 40 miles each time. The only time that we are using assistance is while getting up to speed, warming up, cooling down, taking it easy or going up hill.

The ebike still gets you out in the air and provides a good workout without overstraining the heart or knees. It’s also a lot of fun.

Hi there, my name is Fred and I'm a journalist. I'm writing a piece that is a rebuttal to the recent Atlantic story "E-bikes Are An Abomination," and I am looking for anecdotes from other e-bike owners (I have a Radwagon) about how the bike contributes to your life. Feel free to email me if you'd like to participate fdreier@outsideinc.com. I'd love to hear from you.

I read that story in The Atlantic last night. I wasn’t sure how much was trying to be tongue in cheek and how much was trying to be serious. In any event, there were definitely points I disagreed with.

I read the article as well. I think that the author was trying to be clever, and at times, he was. It didn’t seem that he was aware of the different classes and types or that ebikes are used for trekking and all types of riding. Ebikes can also be used as a way to get fit and maybe make riding a traditional bicycle more appealing. The focus seemed narrow.

100% serious here. I was a lifelong cyclist who eventually was injured to the degree that I was around 8 years in recovering. During that time I put on a ton of weight and was reaching the age (50 something, we'll leave it at that) where I thought my cycling days were done. I discovered eBikes and it got me back on the road. I'm just a month in and the difference in my life already is just astonishing but I can tell you for a fact that if I didn't have the motor to "fall back on" at certain points or to give me confidence in finishing a longer ride, I'd never have dared to even try. As it is I'm discovering every expanding boundaries as I slowly get stronger and regain my long dormant cycling skills.

Looks like here is Fred’s article.

I’m not a subscriber to Outside.com, so I can’t read it, but if any of you are, have at it. Just don’t copy/paste here….that’s probably a copyright no-no.

@dreierF , can you give us a couple snippets from the article?

The "common use" acceptable method of posting such an article is to give credit at the start, paste "no more than 2 paragraphs", and then post a link to the entire article at it's source.

Looks like here is Fred’s article.

I’m not a subscriber to Outside.com, so I can’t read it, but if any of you are, have at it. Just don’t copy/paste here….that’s probably a copyright no-no.

@dreierF , can you give us a couple snippets from the article?
Good article....thanks for shaing.

Back