"Ignition" Switch Added

Vinz

Local time
5:38 PM
I undertook a small project today that I had been planning for a few weeks.
I added an ignition switch to disable the motor, to be used as a kind of lock. I rarely leave the bike when I'm riding, but it does happen.
The switch does not cut the battery out, as I don't want to run the main power up to the handlebar and back. Rather it acts as a third brake cutoff switch - wiring it into the existing cutoff cable via a splitter.
With the ignition turned off, the bike will power up, but the motor is disabled. The key can be removed and taken with me.
Everything was purchased on Amazon, and I can give more details should anyone be interested.

Bike: 2020 Giant Roam 3
Motor Kit: Bafang BBS02B

Ignition1.jpg
Ignition2.jpg

Looks like a great edition to your ebike, thanks for sharing with everyone!

I've also thought it would be good if the motor could be used as a brake when the bike is locked.

Possibly just connecting all the windings to ground would do this, but it would require mutiple high current relays to isolate the controller from the motor etc

I've also thought it would be good if the motor could be used as a brake when the bike is locked.

Possibly just connecting all the windings to ground would do this, but it would require mutiple high current relays to isolate the controller from the motor etc
That's interesting, the motor would present a very large drag. That, and killing total power provide the best security... but I don't want to mess with running 12V, high current lines, which could drop the voltage slightly, and just be more risky.
Since the BBS02/HD already has a cutoff feature for brakes and shifting, I just tied into that. The bike can still be ridden, but it won't go fast. For that matter, the bike can be tossed into the bed of a F150.
Yes of course I could have simply selected a power-up password on the display, but it's winter, I needed a bike project!

I was mainly thinking of hub motors. Which have an external controller.

AFIK The Bafang BBSxx have an internal controller, so this would not be practical

Hmm. Good idea. I have an external exhaust fan that lives in my controller bag, and wouldn't mind being able to leave that on while briefly stopped at stores or whatnot without risking any of the badness that could result from unattended powerful expensive thing.

I undertook a small project today that I had been planning for a few weeks.
I added an ignition switch to disable the motor, to be used as a kind of lock. I rarely leave the bike when I'm riding, but it does happen.
The switch does not cut the battery out, as I don't want to run the main power up to the handlebar and back. Rather it acts as a third brake cutoff switch - wiring it into the existing cutoff cable via a splitter.
With the ignition turned off, the bike will power up, but the motor is disabled. The key can be removed and taken with me.
Everything was purchased on Amazon, and I can give more details should anyone be interested.

Bike: 2020 Giant Roam 3
Motor Kit: Bafang BBS02B

View attachment 3051View attachment 3052
hello looks great could you link the key switch and maybe a little method on how it was done please!

Vinz! You still out there?!? Looking to see where you found the bar mount keyed switch. Have been searching for the same idea for my ebike but no luck locating anything like it.

Back