Idle Thoughts, what do eBikes really need?

CloneWerks

Local time
4:10 AM
It's the end of the workday, not enough time to get into anything else important so my mind was wandering a bit and I came up with some idle thoughts about what I think eBikes should have. Feel free to chime in, maybe I have something here, maybe my ideas are stupid.

#1) BIGGER BRAKES! The current options for disc brakes are certainly better than any rim-brake setup, but given the significantly higher weight of eBikes I strongly believe it's time to start looking at some brake systems specialized for them.

#2) Armored cables. [or some kind of aftermarket sleeve] I've now heard of 3 instances of vandalism where a cut computer cable deadlined a bike. I don't know if some kind of armored cable cover would have kept the bike(s) operational but it seems, much like with EV cars, there is a segment of lowbrows out there who hate ebikes enough to commit random acts like cutting cables.

#3) "Dead man" switch. I think all eBikes should be required to have a robust method of instantly and securely removing all power from the system. If you have a removable battery this isn't such an issue, but not all of the integrated battery system(s) have a foolproof way to cut the power. This places the user/mechanic at high risk of bodily harm due to getting caught up in the drivetrain while working on a bike. My first thought was a safety interlock in the seat but I can see drawbacks to that due to how you ride a bike, especially on rough terrain.

Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down.
You spend all that money for more power output, more battery range; do you encounter situation that you lack brake performance on every single ride?

Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down.
You spend all that money for more power output, more battery range; do you encounter situation that you lack brake performance on every single ride?
Humor accepted, but in all seriousness.... YES, every single time I ride! I start every ride at the top of a 80 yard, 16% grade that does a "T" straight into a main road at the bottom. My bike weighs 75 lbs, I weight 292 lbs. In 200 miles I've already had to sand the glaze off my brakes because I have to ride them to keep the speed down. If I coast too much I'm going too fast for them to actually stop me before I get to the road.

Yeah like pit bike brake system would be nice ..then i think we'd have to add more gussets and probably finagle
some pit bike forks onto out bike. I have alot of hills and get glazing too @CloneWerks

I deglaze pads and rotor once every 3 months. I actually havent touched my hub drives pads since i built the mid drive :oops:

Ride Safe Ya'll :cool:

HP

Humor accepted, but in all seriousness.... YES, every single time I ride! I start every ride at the top of a 80 yard, 16% grade that does a "T" straight into a main road at the bottom. My bike weighs 75 lbs, I weight 292 lbs. In 200 miles I've already had to sand the glaze off my brakes because I have to ride them to keep the speed down. If I coast too much I'm going too fast for them to actually stop me before I get to the road.

Seems like you could be a candidate for regen braking, via direct drive hub motor.

Seems like you could be a candidate for regen braking, via direct drive hub motor.
You ain't kidding there! That last stretch when I'm coming home almost kills me every time (LOL). I've learned to wait for traffic to clear and then throttle up to get some momentum before I hit the bottom or I'm walking by 3/4 of the way up.

Lights:
  • Better headlights (factory installed ones are usually "meh" at best).
  • Tail lights with braking function.
  • Turn signals (front and rear facing).
  • Side lights. I'm afraid of being T-boned at night.

Lights definitely.
Preferable a short beam that doesn't dazzle on coming traffic (like car lights)

Brakes?
I think they are powerful enough.
Can you lock the brakes and get the bike to skid (back brake only!!!) then the weak link are the tires.
A case could be made for more rubber on the road (fat tires)

Lights definitely.
Preferable a short beam that doesn't dazzle on coming traffic (like car lights)

Brakes?
I think they are powerful enough.
Can you lock the brakes and get the bike to skid (back brake only!!!) then the weak link are the tires.
A case could be made for more rubber on the road (fat tires)
No I can't. And I have fat tires (and a fat me <sigh>). Seriously I don't think y'all understand what a 16% grade really is.

Oh I know all about regen (LOL)

Volt.jpg

The predominant view espoused by Grin and other regen advocates is that regen, whilst hardly an efficiency advantage (perhaps 5% gain), IS the solution to the ebikes brake problem.

I do not currently use a grin kit, though i have experimented with an off-brand controller bought from electricscooterparts.com that boasts regen. The real performance is pretty pathetic. I think the regen capability of hub-motor ebikes has a lot of tapped potential, i.e., there is much room for technological innovation. I think the mid-drive trend will die off in favor of hub motors when the regen technology gets better. Grin is pioneering the way but others will follow.

Back