Idea for a supercheap ebike made from a vacuum cleaner motor, UPS batteries, rusted walmart bike, and electrical junk from home depot.

rustywalmartbike

Local time
3:06 PM
As the title suggests, I've got some parts I think I could use. Reposting this from a thread on motoredbikes.com, as I felt this would fit here better.

What I have:
-A 1.2 amp 120v universal motor from a vacuum cleaner
-Two 7ah 12v batteries from a UPS
-A 12v to 120v inverter rated at 150 watts
-An old 24" bicycle sitting in my shed
-No regards for how it looks

I'm thinking I could maybe use a dimmer switch to adjust the speed of the bicycle, don't currently have one on hand.

I weigh 120 pounds, do you think the ~140 watt motor would be capable of maintaining at least 10 mph? How should I mount everything without welding, duct tape? zip ties? screwing into the frame?

1651848837119-png.174482

Thanks! I see one of them shows multiple lead acid batteries connected to a vacuum motor which is rotating the bike chain. Seems like I would be able to run my motor with the batteries, however the motor in the video appears much stronger.

Another video shows someone drilling a hole into the frame of the bike to mount it, which seems like a good solution. Slightly worried about drilling though, since as my username implies, the bike's rusted. The same video also shows using a drill trigger switch to vary the speed. I have a drill trigger switch, which should work too.

The only other problems are securing the batteries and fitting a gear to the motor. The second video suggests simply tying the batteries in using a fabric strap, but he's using a single lithium battery, which is much smaller and lighter.
Not quite sure about attaching the gear, most people hammer on a gear to the motor shaft. My motor is pretty small, and I'd worry about damaging it.

You gotta be f***ing joking I would not want to be seen riding an ebike like that lol. But if you can pull it off, knock yourself out man.
lol yeah, it's meant to be awful looking.
I just want something that I can legally drive on the road for about 3 miles that doesn't require as much effort to use. Plus it'll get me positive attention which is always nice

Also, someone reminded me the motor won't have enough torque to start with my weight on it and will stall out. Somehow I need to add a clutch to this monstrosity.

Where you at with this Frankenstien ebike.?
May I suggest a cordless chainsaw motor for your bike.
Currently, not much further unfortunately. A cordless chainsaw motor will probably work much better but I think the idea of a vacuum motor is funnier. I'll probably have to use something like a chainsaw motor though, since the vacuum motor really isn't that powerful.

Back