I live in NJ. so which one of these two bikes will work based on their laws. ?

daneebee

Local time
1:16 PM
So I live in Long Branch NJ The rules the way I’ve looked them up is Motor not larger than 750. And no power assist after 20moh. So first question is do I have that right. Are they the current guidelines for Nj.
And if so. I’m considering 2 bikes
1. Ariel Grizzly. Which has 1000 w motors.
2 Ariel D class. Which has 750 w motors

Both come with 20 mph limiter if chosen. So the obvious question here is for city riding. Will it matter that the grizzly has the 1000w motor. Will it matter police wise. ?

Also separate question. In NJ do you have to wear a helmet if you are an adult ? Thanks in advance

ok, so alot of people ride ebikes that their city/county/state say has to be 750 watts. There are a ton of people that go over that but ride
slow and low, meaning if they ride like an idiot they will get caught. I've been pulled over by bicycle cops and asked about my ebikes...
none of which are as low as 750 watts lol

I just tell them 750 watts and explain to them i dont go over such and such for my area...plus they all see me ride
at anywhere from 9mph up to around 25mph...stop at lights and signs...pull over and let cars pass when needed.

There are stickers one can buy to place on a 1000w motor that says 750w

Here are a couple links:
http://njbikeped.org/new-law-legalized-e-bikes-and-e-scooters-in-new-jersey/

I'd wear a helmet. You head is precious cargo in my opinion ;)

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

ok, so alot of people ride ebikes that their city/county/state say has to be 750 watts. There are a ton of people that go over that but ride
slow and low, meaning if they ride like an idiot they will get caught. I've been pulled over by bicycle cops and asked about my ebikes...
none of which are as low as 750 watts lol

I just tell them 750 watts and explain to them i dont go over such and such for my area...plus they all see me ride
at anywhere from 9mph up to around 25mph...stop at lights and signs...pull over and let cars pass when needed.

There are stickers one can buy to place on a 1000w motor that says 750w

Here are a couple links:
http://njbikeped.org/new-law-legalized-e-bikes-and-e-scooters-in-new-jersey/

I'd wear a helmet. You head is precious cargo in my opinion ;)

HP
thanks for the detailed response. you see my dilemma though. as much as i love the d class. i think id rather the grizzly. but there is def a possibility of a cop looking at the motor and seeing that its either a 750 or 1000. so im a little torn. the obvoius safe route would be to go with the 750 d clsass. the riskier route would be to get the grizzly. and then throw a sticker on somewhere saying 750. but doesnt it say 1000w on the grizzly motors in plain sight? thanks again .

well, this is where someone that knows about those types of motors should chime in.
ok i looked at several pics of the 1000w and 750w bafang hub drive and they each say 750w or 1000w
on the hub. So if it were me, i'd just ride like i have sense, slow and low while in and around the city and if i would be riding outside of the city i'd prolly just putt my old arse around at 12 to 17mph just to enjoy the scenery and life itself. Just thinking about it, i'd prolly be paranoid about it so i'd light sand the hub slap a 750w sticker on there then clear coat the hub...just dont get caught flying down the road or doing wheelies :D

HP

it's such a weird greay grey/gray area right now with the ebikes, state to state, county to county, city to city..
Even from cop to cop in some towns. Dont draw any attention to yourself, blend in and wear a helmet and gloves for safety reasons.
That https://arielrider.com/products/d-class-dual-motored-scrambler-electric-fat-tire-bike seems about what you need but i really dont know
how ya ride and what your needs are. I like it but would make me happier with 2 batteries though ;)

I doubt anyone is getting pulled over for having a 1000w drive instead of a 750w unless they're misbehaving pretty severely, but that's not what I'd worry about if I were over the limit. Imagine being involved in an accident while illegally operating an unregistered motor vehicle...

I doubt anyone is getting pulled over for having a 1000w drive instead of a 750w unless they're misbehaving pretty severely, but that's not what I'd worry about if I were over the limit. Imagine being involved in an accident while illegally operating an unregistered motor vehicle...
It's happened to people in my town and another college town i ride in. Yur right though, they were acting like idiots on the big bikes they built, and one that was bought. Either way..if one is to ride safely and with caution and awareness of surroundings then the cops dont tend to look much...just when doing over 40mph and doin wheelies on an ebike that looks like a motorcycle...welp....be on the lookout for PoPo! :ROFLMAO:

@DCErik What do you ride as far as an ebike and how is it riding in DC? I am small town Virginia actually not very far from DC.
Nice riding here, in town and outside of town.

@DCErik What do you ride as far as an ebike and how is it riding in DC? I am small town Virginia actually not very far from DC.
Nice riding here, in town and outside of town.
I'm actually out in Reston these days, so lots of rides on the W&OD, C&O, etc on my DIY BBSHD bike, but I'm also big into pump tracks so I travel around for those, and getting into burger-powered MTB at Lake Fairfax and other spots. Always up for a group ride, especially if it ends at food!

I'm actually out in Reston these days, so lots of rides on the W&OD, C&O, etc on my DIY BBSHD bike, but I'm also big into pump tracks so I travel around for those, and getting into burger-powered MTB at Lake Fairfax and other spots. Always up for a group ride, especially if it ends at food!
Oh fo sho! I loves FOOD!!!
Welcome to the forums Erik. We have a few trails here around charlottesville, waynesboro and the staunton area but not many like what yas have in yur area. How ya like yur DIY BBSHD? Battery specs? When i forst first started building these beasts i wanted a bit of speed but now i just like to roll low and slow @9 to 14mph.

Oh fo sho! I loves FOOD!!!
Welcome to the forums Erik. We have a few trails here around charlottesville, waynesboro and the staunton area but not many like what yas have in yur area. How ya like yur DIY BBSHD? Battery specs? When i forst first started building these beasts i wanted a bit of speed but now i just like to roll low and slow @9 to 14mph.
Agreed. I built my ebike (52v 18Ah 30Q shrink-wrap triangle) because my Ninja 250 couldn't even warm up on my new, short commute. I ride the ebike at bike speeds, averaging maybe 10mph over 1000 miles.

Used to go to mixers at the girls' boarding school in Staunton, St. Catherine's? Great part of the state to ride in. Lived in C'ville for a bit, too.

So I live in Long Branch NJ The rules the way I’ve looked them up is Motor not larger than 750. And no power assist after 20moh. So first question is do I have that right. Are they the current guidelines for Nj.
And if so. I’m considering 2 bikes
1. Ariel Grizzly. Which has 1000 w motors.
2 Ariel D class. Which has 750 w motors

Both come with 20 mph limiter if chosen. So the obvious question here is for city riding. Will it matter that the grizzly has the 1000w motor. Will it matter police wise. ?

Also separate question. In NJ do you have to wear a helmet if you are an adult ? Thanks in advance
Helmet-Wise, dunno from "Have To”, but I have been dumped by my tadpole trike five times since buying it on 7/6/2022 and two of those times was thankful to have been wearing my helmet.

My initial rationale was that I am going to wearing something on my head anyhow, so why not a helmet?

An osteopath that I used to windsurf with - and who had spent his share of time working in ERs - observed that "The thing with a helmet is that you only need it once.". And he even wore a helmet windsurfing in moderate conditions... So I have to think there's something there.

Back