I am not sure whether to buy an ebike

Mama

Local time
1:07 AM
Hi. I am ovee 65 and take a bus that they want to discontinue in the spring, so I am considering getting an ebike. I had an ebike before that was stolen. I am wondering if it is good to keep an ebike outside in all weather. I have a parking spot and could get something to cover the bike with. Since there are stairs where I live, I would need a very light ebike to bring it inside or else could keep a heavier one in the parking spot.

What do people think about keeping an ebike safe and secure outside, and what is a good ebike for an older person? I might want to get an inexpensive one or one that someone could service at my home for not too much money. I would prefer an ebike light enough to keep inside, but it would be nice to have one able to carry things, as well.

Hi. I am ovee 65 and take a bus that they want to discontinue in the spring, so I am considering getting an ebike. I had an ebike before that was stolen. I am wondering if it is good to keep an ebike outside in all weather...
It's not optimal in any way. Lithium batteries don't like being charged in cold weather, no bike is great left out to weather, and if crime is an issue no bike can be secured unless indoors or under watch 24/7. Isn't there a garage or lockable space you have access to?

My grandpa was in the same situation as you, but since I bought him a Magicycle folding ebike, it hasn't bothered him like that. The folding ebike can be folded up and put in your room, and it's not particularly heavy. You also can buy some racks to go with the ebike, that can carry a lot of stuffs. Maybe you can try.

Hi. I am ovee 65 and take a bus that they want to discontinue in the spring, so I am considering getting an ebike. I had an ebike before that was stolen. I am wondering if it is good to keep an ebike outside in all weather.
It's sub-optimal and will cut down on its life. If not covered, UV will damage plastics, rubbers and vinyls over time. Also, if it gets cold in the winter, the battery will need to cool down in order to be charged.

I have a parking spot and could get something to cover the bike with. Since there are stairs where I live, I would need a very light ebike to bring it inside or else could keep a heavier one in the parking spot.
"Very light" is a relative term. A "light" eBike weighs 40+ pounds, and most of them are a good deal heavier than that.

What do people think about keeping an ebike safe and secure outside,
If you don't have something to lock the bike to, your chances of keeping the bike for long are not good. Are there any trees or posts you could use? If so, you could occasionally lock it outside with a heavy chain and heavy duty lock. In the winter, depending on where you live, you would want to bring the battery pack inside at night anyway. (for charging in the right temperature range)

and what is a good ebike for an older person? I might want to get an inexpensive one or one that someone could service at my home for not too much money. I would prefer an ebike light enough to keep inside, but it would be nice to have one able to carry things, as well.
What does "light enough to keep inside" mean to you? Do you live on the ground floor? If not, do you have an elevator or escalator, or would you be carrying it up stairs? Those things make a difference. A lot of folding eBikes can be rolled along when folded. The ones that can't be, can be put in a wheeled tote and rolled along, but none of that would help you with stairs.

There is one company, I think it is RadPower Bikes, that has vans that can go around setting up and servicing eBikes. A decent quality one doesn't need much service, though, once it is set up. They're not like combustion cars, needing service all the time. You might need help changing a flat, but other than that, it's just keeping the tires aired up, occasional chain oiling, maybe a new battery pack every few years; things like that. Rad makes one folding bike, but it's heavy, (65 lbs?) so you'd need an elevator if you don't live on the ground floor. Here's the link to their RadExpand 5 folding bike.

I have a Lectric XP Lite incoming that is due to arrive Monday. (Here's the link) It's only 46 lbs. That might be one to consider, if you're OK with having just one gear. They're not too expensive, either, at $800. (I sprung for the comfort seat package though, for another hunge)

Meanwhile, fight like hell to keep that bus going. Write to your mayor and congressman. Let him know that there are people who RELY on public transit and that the way forward is to improve it, so that it will be more viable for more people, not to defund it.

Back