How to fix this clicking?

j_scott_elblein

Local time
4:47 PM
Hey all, first post. (y)

I've got a bike that's making a loud click whenever I pedal. It happens at any speed (not just when I pedal hard). I cant particularly tell exactly where it's coming from so I figured avid bikers here might be real familiar with this issue and know right off the bat what it is?

It's rather embarrassing out on the trails with this sound, as people hear it coming from quite a distance and always turn around to see what it is. :LOL:

Here's a short video of it happening: link

Hey all, first post. (y)

I've got a bike that's making a loud click whenever I pedal. It happens at any speed (not just when I pedal hard). I cant particularly tell exactly where it's coming from so I figured avid bikers here might be real familiar with this issue and know right off the bat what it is?

It's rather embarrassing out on the trails with this sound, as people hear it coming from quite a distance and always turn around to see what it is. :LOL:

Here's a short video of it happening: link
Sounds like something wrong with your crank assembly. Could be just loose, maybe bearings. Either way you need to remove the crank arms to check into it. Any reliable local bike shop should be able to fix that if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

Sounds like something wrong with your crank assembly. Could be just loose, maybe bearings. Either way you need to remove the crank arms to check into it. Any reliable local bike shop should be able to fix that if you don't want to tackle it yourself.
Thanks Hoggdoc, I have a feeling you're right. I'm going to try tightening the crank tomorrow and see how it goes. :)

I have the same symptoms, coming from the crank (hub driven) . It feels like it's coming from the left pedal. Is there some kind of lash adjustment in there?

I have the same symptoms, coming from the crank (hub driven) . It feels like it's coming from the left pedal. Is there some kind of lash adjustment in there?
What motor do ya have? For example i have a BBSHD mid drive on a regular bike.

I've seen where some BBSHD users had to tighten up some bearing inside the motor to stop the side to side play on the spindle.

What motor do ya have? For example i have a BBSHD mid drive on a regular bike.

I've seen where some BBSHD users had to tighten up some bearing inside the motor to stop the side to side play on the spindle.
Its' a 1000w geared hub motor. The noise is coming from the crank, not the motor. I feel it in the left pedal

Its' a 1000w geared hub motor. The noise is coming from the crank, not the motor. I feel it in the left pedal
Ahhh..
Couldnt hurt to tighten the spindle then be sure the crank arms are properly set and torqued down to the specs for yur bike.

Thanks for the help all, I'm still dealing with this. I did do a simple tightening attempt to the left side of the crank but it made no difference at all. Tightened it down pretty good; took a hammer and chisel to it. :LOL:

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the crank area. And it's strong enough that I can actually feel the clicks when they happen. Normally I'm a big time DIY'er but in this case it looks like the entire crank might need to come apart to fix it and I'm not really up for doing that right now, so I'm going to send the video to a local cyclery and see what they think, and if the price is right, take in it and have them service it.

Hi scott,
just tightening the crank arm will not tighten the bearings/spindle...
I dont mean to burst any bubble but you'll need to tighten the bearings/spindle also have you checked the bearings in the bottom bracket
where the spindle goes through yet?

Sometimes these repairs are daunting to say the least..
We're here if you need any help mate :)

have you checked the bearings in the bottom bracket
where the spindle goes through yet?
Heyas :)

No I haven't. That involves taking the entire crank arms out, right? (Not sure I have all the terms down pat; it's been a long time since I've dealt with dismantling bikes). I think the last time I took the entire crank assembly apart and put back together I was probably in my early teens; I'm *cough* over 50 now *cough* :p

J_Scott,

Sounds like the pedal crank assembly has become loose where the pedal meets the crank. Unfortunately, it is possible than riding it in that condition has damaged the crank or the pedal opening. If you can remove the clicking pedal (prolly only one is bad), any physical damage should be obvious by now.
If tightening the pedals did not fix the click, replacement part(s) will be needed. I would take the bike to show to the bike shop, and see what they can do for you.

Thanks Red.

I've sent off an email to about 6 local cycleries with a link to the video included and just waiting for any replies now for any further instruction. :)

I let y'all know what i hear.

Back