How to Fix Bafang BBSHD & BBS02 Error 30

Anton

Admin
Staff member
Local time
2:34 AM
Error 30 is a communication fault between Bafang components on the BBSHD & BBS02 kits. It is a common error and the usual culprit is a communication error between the display and the controller. The Bafang set up requires a display (961,963, 965, DCP10) to function properly and unfortunately this makes the system less reliable.

How to Fix Bafang BBSHD & BBS02 Error 30:

1. Check all the connections and make sure they are connected properly.
2. Move the connections around and check for any twists or bends in the wiring harness.
3. If it still shows error 30 then it could be a faulty component. Move onto the next section to test components.

How to Test Bafang BBSHD & BBS02 for a Faulty Component:

Check the following components:
  • Display (most commonly at fault)
  • Wiring (check the wiring loom for damage or crushed wires)
  • Controller
  • Speedo
These components are cross compatible with all Bafang mid drives (apart from the controller). If you have another BBSxx kit or know someone with one, you can interchange the display, controller or speedo to troubleshoot the faulty component(s). The only other way to fix error 30 is to try replacing the components one by one until the problem goes away.

Hi I have bafang 1000w 20ah batery I did only almost 500 km and I have error problem ( error 30 comunication fault ) motor is not working with pedal asistmant and is not working with pressing the botton and on my speedo is normaly red light on and now is off cann you help me semeone pls what to do ?

Hi I have bafang 1000w 20ah batery I did only almost 500 km and I have error problem ( error 30 comunication fault ) motor is not working with pedal asistmant and is not working with pressing the botton and on my speedo is normaly red light on and now is off cann you help me semeone pls what to do ?
It’s most likely your PAS sensor plug isn’t connected or the wire from the controller for the PAS is damaged or deteriorated.

Could Error:30 be showed for a faulty BMS/battery pack?
I'm asking because I have two BBSHD bikes and only one battery. On one of the bikes after ~500 km I got ERROR:30 Communication Error on the display. After troubleshooting and replacing all the components from the other bike I have, ERROR 30 is still there, so the only thing I cannot replace is the battery pack - but I cannot find anythning online about BMS/battery pack being the culprit for ERROR 30 so I'm at a dead end :(.

Could Error:30 be showed for a faulty BMS/battery pack?
I'm asking because I have two BBSHD bikes and only one battery. On one of the bikes after ~500 km I got ERROR:30 Communication Error on the display. After troubleshooting and replacing all the components from the other bike I have, ERROR 30 is still there, so the only thing I cannot replace is the battery pack - but I cannot find anythning online about BMS/battery pack being the culprit for ERROR 30 so I'm at a dead end :(.
Just to clarify you have 2 complete BBSHD kits and only 1 battery? You said the error only came up on one of the bikes, so was the other bike still working OK without Error 30 before you replaced all the components?

Try this: Open up the controller from the motor core and unplug all of the controller plugs and then replug them in again ensuring there is no silicone interference and everything is properly connected.

Sort of :).
First kit is all Bafang including display. The second kit has a Eggrider display.
If I put Bafang display and battery on the broken kit, it shows ERROR 30 and PAS or acceleration is not working (same thing with Eggrider display).
If i put Bafang display and battery on the working kit, it still shows ERROR 30 but PAS and acceleration is working and I can use the bike (need to disable auto power off, otherwise the display turns off). Same thing with Eggrider display.

I don't know if both displays are faulty or the battery/BMS could be the faulty one.

The broken kit most likely has a burned controller, if I try to connect to it via programming cable it does not work.

Hmm seems like it could be a communication problem between the motor and the controller. So yeah I would be suspecting it's the controller. BUT it does seems very strange that you get the same Error 30 using 2 different displays with 2 different controllers when the only thing in common is the battery.

Have you tried removing all other connections (speed sensor, brake sensor, gear shift sensor, throttle ect.) everything apart from the display, controller and battery and then powering it on?

Yes, I have followed the common troubleshooting steps for error 30 and disconnect/reconnect everything. Also after that, I took each component (speed sensor, gear shift, throttle, main cable harness) and replaced them with the ones from the working kit. Brake sensors not mounted.
Now I'm trying to find someone in my town with a Bafang kit willing to let me test my display on his kit - I don't know what other option I have, most of the people I've read about online, they fixed ERROR 30 either by reconnecting sensors or by replacing controller/display.

Yes, I have followed the common troubleshooting steps for error 30 and disconnect/reconnect everything. Also after that, I took each component (speed sensor, gear shift, throttle, main cable harness) and replaced them with the ones from the working kit. Brake sensors not mounted.
Now I'm trying to find someone in my town with a Bafang kit willing to let me test my display on his kit - I don't know what other option I have, most of the people I've read about online, they fixed ERROR 30 either by reconnecting sensors or by replacing controller/display.
Did you end up troubleshooting your problems @AurelV ?

Looks like another member @Easyebikes has a similar problem with the Error 30 here: https://ebikesforum.com/threads/bafang-error-30-750w-250w.775/

Hi,
Sorry for late reply, due to Covid I'm working from home and relocated to countryside.
I have not figure out what component is the faulty one, I suspect the controller has something fried or at fault. I ride the bike like that, lucky for me the PAS and throttle are working and the display is showing the battery power. I had used the programming cable and limit output power to 20Ah in order to decrease the chance to fry the controller and I will continue to ride it until it dies.

Hi,
Sorry for late reply, due to Covid I'm working from home and relocated to countryside.
I have not figure out what component is the faulty one, I suspect the controller has something fried or at fault. I ride the bike like that, lucky for me the PAS and throttle are working and the display is showing the battery power. I had used the programming cable and limit output power to 20Ah in order to decrease the chance to fry the controller and I will continue to ride it until it dies.
Ah that's no good, but at least you can still ride it with the error. Thanks for the reply!

Well here's another error 30 . I just got the kit from Luna last week . I put it on/in and went 1/2 mile before it shut me down with the code . Display will not clear . I tried another display , same thing . The kit is also missing the wheel manet for speed sensor . Have filled out two message dealios on the Luna web site and got nothing . Called and whoever answered the phone said to fill out a ticket and wait , WTF ? Does Luna warranty this crap or am I stuck being pissed off ?

Error 30 is a communication fault between Bafang components on the BBSHD & BBS02 kits. It is a common error and the usual culprit is a communication error between the display and the controller. The Bafang set up requires a display (961,963, 965, DCP10) to function properly and unfortunately this makes the system less reliable.

How to Fix Bafang BBSHD & BBS02 Error 30:

1. Check all the connections and make sure they are connected properly.
2. Move the connections around and check for any twists or bends in the wiring harness.
3. If it still shows error 30 then it could be a faulty component. Move onto the next section to test components.

How to Test Bafang BBSHD & BBS02 for a Faulty Component:

Check the following components:
  • Display (most commonly at fault)
  • Wiring (check the wiring loom for damage or crushed wires)
  • Controller
  • Speedo
These components are cross compatible with all Bafang mid drives (apart from the controller). If you have another BBSxx kit or know someone with one, you can interchange the display, controller or speedo to troubleshoot the faulty component(s). The only other way to fix error 30 is to try replacing the components one by one until the problem goes away.
After riding in a downpour the next day got error 30. Fortunately I have 2 bikes with BBSHD. not configured exactly the same but close enough, swapped display and checked cables still had the error 30. I had weeks before replace the Bafang Controller with a Luna controller so next I put the bafang controller back in and the error 30 went away but now I am back with the bafang controller which is a 48V only, now need another luna controller to get rid of error 7 with over 54.6v, unless someone knows how to make the bafang work on 52V? My other bike has Luna controller so I used the programing cable first time today. Copied the profile from the Luna to the Bafang. It did fix the throttle to work standalone but did not fix the 48V only.. I can only charge my 52V battery using my 48V charger or get error 7. I know this is not a long term fix. Not good for the battery life. Before I order another Luna controller hoping someone knows if possible program the Bafang controller to work with 52 V battery or is it hardware?

I used 3.82 as I didnt have the others either . He addresses that to a question in the comments section .

After checking MCU was able to set to 3.86. Flashed my controller and now can use 52 V batteries. Tried to re-flash Luna setup and got current out of range error and had to re-flash using the 'Golden' again cause error 30 was set. Will check few more things and maybe try again. Want the throttle not related to PAS settings. May even put the faulty controller on and try flashing it but think it has hardware fault slight electrical burn odor.

UPDATE - after flashing with the 48 to 52 flash everything is good except if I use Bafang Config Tool after doing a read, cannot write in fact I get error 30. so far only way to fix is to the complete flash again. I want to set the assist 0 values to 1 so the throttle will work independent of PAS. I tired both the Bafang Config Tool and the Stafan Penov version with same results am afraid try many more time fear of breaking the connector or something else. Any help or explanation? Is my controller locked and shuts down if try reading with the Config Tool?

Last edited:
Hi everyone I am also having same 30error after I had changed the controller. Motor is not working engine fault signal keep flashing.I bought new 22amps controller for my bafang 500 ebike.are these controller in the picture interchangable?(old one was 17A and not working)thanks
IMG_20201226_130559.jpg

Back