How Often Should An Ebike Battery Be Charged?

Local time
5:38 AM
The more fully charged the battery, the greater the loss of the battery. The long-term low or no power state will increase the resistance of the battery to the self-movement of electricity, resulting in a decrease in the battery capacity.

For the first use, the new battery should be charged for at least 12 hours. Subsequent use should be supplemented in the actual state. When not in use, it needs to be charged 1-3 times a month.

What do you think?

I have three lithium triangle packs, two 5-year-old EM3ev 58.8V 29Ah packs, and a 2-year-old DHGate commissioned 58.8V 35Ah pack. The batteries are the most expensive expendable part on the bike... hell, they can be the most expensive single part OF the bike. Treating them properly can extend their life by up to 3 times the number of recharge cycles. The way to do that is after fully charging the pack and depleting it to 20% 5 or 6 times I don't charge past 85% capacity 56.8V for me. Don't charge past 85% and don't discharge past 20% or 45.4V. When you DO fully charge the pack do it right before you start riding and never leave the pack fully charged for long. Here's the rub... 99% of battery chargers only charge to 100%. Research the Grin Satiatoir and how it can help manage and maintain batteries of all kinds. I ride pretty much daily from 10 to 100 miles... depending on the weather. After 37K miles and hundreds of recharges, I can't tell a difference in performance. Maybe it's like tennis shoes, ya never know how worn out they are until you try new ones on, but I'm still riding like I did when I started.

I got a 4 amp smart charger for my battery. You can select 80, 90 or100% charge. During our long and bitter cold winters the battery will live indoors and i will charge it once a month on the day i pay bills. I plan to charge at the 80% rate and will try not to let it go below 20%

I got a 4 amp smart charger for my battery. You can select 80, 90 or100% charge. During our long and bitter cold winters the battery will live indoors and i will charge it once a month on the day i pay bills. I plan to charge at the 80% rate and will try not to let it go below 20%
You should look at a Grin Satiator but you got the right idea. Never charge when it is going to get close to freezing.

Sounds like a Luna Smart charger, which I have, and seems to work well.

Lithium battery packs deteriorate quicker when stored at a full charge. They last the longest when they're stored at around 30-50% state of charge.

What I plan to do is to not charge my battery pack until it needs it, then run it all week until it's down. (more charge cycles also wear it out)

If you have more range than you need, you could just partially charge it each time, up to maybe 70% capacity, then run it down to maybe 20%; keep it in that low stress zone.

It's good to think about this, as these packs are EXPENSIVE. (one for my Heybike Ranger is $500...)

Back