How do you charge your e-mtb battery when car camping?

Litehiker

Local time
5:52 AM
If you are car camping away from an AC power source how do you charge your e-mtb batteries during, say, a 4 day stay where you are riding every day?

I built a portable solar generator that has a 2200 watt inverter with 300 amp LiFeP04 battery to use when boondocking. I plug my e-bike charger into the solar generator when needed. Maybe a Bluetti unit with some solar panels. Think about a 2nd battery so one can be charging while out riding. To charge directly from solar panels you need something like a MPPT-7210A solar contoller. It can function as a DC to DC boost controller when wired to vehicle. A small generator is an option but not the way I would go. A lot depends on budget and how much storage is available.

"Mysery",
I was called away while i was posting this question, otherwise I'd have finished the post with the information below.

That you built yourself a Li Fe PO4 battery/charger is amazing. Do you have a degree in electrical engineering?
I have an Off Grid TREK 220 watt folding solar "blanket". Off Grid TREK is a Canadian company and his products, though pricey are first class.
For a battery I have a BLUETTI AC200 MAX, a lithium iron phosphate battery. While it's about 15% heavier than an equivalent Li-ion battery it is, as I'm sure you know, far safer from combustion. Again, about the same price as the TREK solar blanket so, yeah, lots of $$ tied up in this system. The main problem with it is that it charges from the solar blanket much slower than other similar batteries. :( Hopefully it's a software problem I can upgrade through the BLUETTI app on my phone. The solar blanket is 3.5 ft. x 6.5 ft. and cable locks to crossbars on the roof of my 2019 MAZDA CX-5 SUV through the grommets on each side of the array. Wires run into my trunk to charge the BLUETTI.

My reason for posting this question was to see if others had any other, better ways of handling this. I rejected a Honda generator because I absolutely did not want to carry cans of gasoline in my SUV's enclosed rooftop carrier. That's just asking for trouble and it stinks like hell.
A bonus for this charging system is that I can use it at home in a power outage - or your typical zombie apocalypse.

BTW, my e-mtb is an E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown (I know, a rather ridiculous name). It is a 2 wheel drive, 2 batteries, dual suspension monster at 95 pounds. it can carry up to 400 pounds. I need it to haul out boned-out meat from big game when I hunt here in Nevada. I "eschew" ATVs and feel they are a pox on the land. This bike has a patented single charging port that charges both batteries at the same time which is a convenance.

With MPPT you're able to controll how much amps you charge with..for instance...perhaps your panels charge at 1 amp or 2.5 or 4 amps...

with the MPPT boost charge controller you'll be able to bump up that amperage per charge, giving you a bit faster charge time.

Just throwing that out there...be careful too....

HP

Litehiker,

Nice system you have there, hope you get the charging issue sorted out. I have an associate degree in Electronic Technology that I aquired about 35 years ago. Until I retired I spent about 35 years in manufacturing enviroments doing both mechanical and electronic/electrical repairs. If I were to build another one I'd use an all-in-unit such as this. Hookup a battery and solar panels and your good to go.

https://chins.shopping/products/24v...ne-suitable-for-24v-lead-acid-lithium-battery

I've used my present system during power outages, so much easier than dealing with our duel fuel generator.
This is us boondocking out in the Mojave Desert with the solar generator last May. Beside the constant wind it was great.
20220426_192901.jpg

@HumanPerson -> What is a physical Maximum Power Point Tracking device? How does it work"
@Mysery-> "Boondocking out in the Mojave Desert..."?? I live in Henderson, NV, the southern suburb of Las Vegas. Do you live in Cali, near or in the Mojave?
Nice camper setup. Beats a tent and pooping in the desert! (Don't ask) So if you did 35 years working and are now retired you should be able to collect Soc. Security and Medicare - like me. But at 80 this April 4th I'm considerably older than you,"Sonny". :cool: Still able to ski here at our Lee Canyon Ski Resort an hour from my home. It's small but high with a base lodge at 8,500 ft. Great skiing this year with all that snow. And I backpack in Nevada, Utah and Cali, ultralight of course since I'm a geezer as you can see in this photo from last summer at the GC North Rim
P5270033.JPG

I'm on the east coast, Wilmington NC. Yeah I'm on the goverment dole. The wife and I took a 6 week trip last year so she could visit a friend Fresno for a few days. Did a day trip to San Francisco and one to the Seirra National Forest while in California. I also got do some fly fishing in New Mexico and Arizona and camped at the south rim of the GC for a few days. Beside Fresno and the GC where we had reservations we used Harvest Host to book sites as we traveled. Hoping to head out again this year but it doesn't look like it's going to happen except for some trips to the NC mountains for some bike riding and fishing.

@HumanPerson -> What is a physical Maximum Power Point Tracking device? How does it work"
@Mysery-> "Boondocking out in the Mojave Desert..."?? I live in Henderson, NV, the southern suburb of Las Vegas. Do you live in Cali, near or in the Mojave?
Nice camper setup. Beats a tent and pooping in the desert! (Don't ask) So if you did 35 years working and are now retired you should be able to collect Soc. Security and Medicare - like me. But at 80 this April 4th I'm considerably older than you,"Sonny". :cool: Still able to ski here at our Lee Canyon Ski Resort an hour from my home. It's small but high with a base lodge at 8,500 ft. Great skiing this year with all that snow. And I backpack in Nevada, Utah and Cali, ultralight of course since I'm a geezer as you can see in this photo from last summer at the GC North RimView attachment 8026

Not sure how it all works really but in a nutshell the mppt raises or lowers the voltage and amperage to whatever you set it to be.

I use one on a few solar panels and set it to charge 52v batteries to 57.5v
i usually set my charge amps to 4 or 6 depending on what my mind says that day :)

Some of the mppt will only boost the charge up, others will let you go down in voltage and up in voltage. I just started messing with that stuff the last 4 years or so. Havent gotten very far with it yet.

Human Person,
You have me looking into the MPPT gear. Thanks for the heads up.

"May all your days be filled with custard pudding>" (Always a good filling) ;)

BTW, I study Thich Nhat Hanh's works

UPDATE: I found my BLUETTI AC200 MAX has a "PV" setting and this is what permits my Off Grid TREK solar blanket to charge it fairly fast so there is no longer a problem.
"IF ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS" :rolleyes:

The ALP propane generator is another option. Runs on those little 1lb bottles. We generally carry ours when we boondock in the truck camper. I converted the Honda e3000 to run on propane ad, after opening the plug gap, that works great with the camper trailer. We also carry “solar generators” and panel but the generators work great at night

if you already have one of them so-called solar generators. IE big power bank that has an AC outlet on it and a build in inverter you could always just use your existing charger plugged into the power bank.

I think the simplest way would be to buy a DC/AC inverter of the proper capacity to plug your charger in. Sure you can go the solar route, but thats far more complex and expensive. When using the inverter connect it directly to the vehicle battery and make sure to run the engine to keep the battery up to proper voltage.

I think the simplest way would be to buy a DC/AC inverter of the proper capacity to plug your charger in. Sure you can go the solar route, but thats far more complex and expensive. When using the inverter connect it directly to the vehicle battery and make sure to run the engine to keep the battery up to proper voltage.
tho keeping the engine running for 4 to 6 hours to recharge most ebike batteries could get pretty expensive same as running a gas generator with a slow low amp charger could get expensive real quick too.

Back