How do mid-drive BBS02 e-bike kits go in wet weather?

z1ppy

Local time
5:33 PM
I'm slowly saving up for a Bafang BBS02 750W 48V setup for my heavy upright riding utility bike, which will make using the bike around town and hauling a heavy trailer for groceries much easier and faster than it is currently. I got a little help from a Christmas bonus, so hopefully I'll be able to order the stuff soon.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that I can ride my road bike to work (15.5 miles each way) 2 days a week like I've been doing, but then I may try replace car use further by riding my new e-bike setup to work on one or possibly more of those remaining 3 days each week.

My question is how will this setup be able to handle cold and/or wet conditions? We hardly ever get snow, more often ice, but even that is fairly rare around here. Morning temperatures in the teens are fairly common, 20's much more common. 20°F is my limit for riding the road bike, simply because it takes 80+ minutes when it's that cold, and I just can't handle being out there for that long if colder than that, no matter what I wear. I'm hoping the e-bike setup will cover the distance in a decently less amount of time.

I will be outfitting the bike with full fenders for sure, and probably something like Big Apple 26x2" tires (something with great flat protection). Most likely I will keep the bike's 8-sp 11-28 cassette, at least initially, and run one of Bafang's standard chain rings.

You should be fine, Bafang ebike motors and controllers are all sealed, here is some info on the Bafang website about riding in mud and water:

Are eMTBs allowed to come into contact with mud and water?
Of course, e-bike motors are sealed. However, eMTBs should be cleaned of dirt after each contact with water or mud, so that no water settles anywhere. In addition, if the eMTB is stored for a longer period of time - for example in winter - a humid microclimate should be avoided. In such cases, we recommend additionally removing the battery and storing it in a dry place at room temperature.

Source: https://bafang-e.com/service/faq/

I'm slowly saving up for a Bafang BBS02 750W 48V setup for my heavy upright riding utility bike, which will make using the bike around town and hauling a heavy trailer for groceries much easier and faster than it is currently. I got a little help from a Christmas bonus, so hopefully I'll be able to order the stuff soon.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that I can ride my road bike to work (15.5 miles each way) 2 days a week like I've been doing, but then I may try replace car use further by riding my new e-bike setup to work on one or possibly more of those remaining 3 days each week.

My question is how will this setup be able to handle cold and/or wet conditions? We hardly ever get snow, more often ice, but even that is fairly rare around here. Morning temperatures in the teens are fairly common, 20's much more common. 20°F is my limit for riding the road bike, simply because it takes 80+ minutes when it's that cold, and I just can't handle being out there for that long if colder than that, no matter what I wear. I'm hoping the e-bike setup will cover the distance in a decently less amount of time.

I will be outfitting the bike with full fenders for sure, and probably something like Big Apple 26x2" tires (something with great flat protection). Most likely I will keep the bike's 8-sp 11-28 cassette, at least initially, and run one of Bafang's standard chain rings.
I think they are IP 65 rated so should be good for most conditions. I have a 350 W motor with a 14 amp hour battery. Mine will do at least 30 miles with about Level 2 assistance. absolutely fly’s !

Back