How can I run multiple LifePo4 batteries in Series with controlled voltage output?

funster

Local time
6:48 AM
I've got 4 batteries running around a combined 48-53 volts and one of the batteries will shut off if it's voltage shifts more than 2 volts or so from one of the other batteries. I think this is limiting my range and wondered if there was a way to control the draw for each of them. They each have built in BMS systems. Thanks for the advice.

Can I run a resistor between each battery that restricts voltage output and therefore creates a consistent voltage level across all batteries?

Well, first, you are REALLY not supposed to connect them this way.

These re-cycled tool packs, or hoverboard? Usually not really a full BMS on those small packs.

Not likely any shutdown events related to OTHER packs voltage. Most likely, the shutdown is because a particular sub-pack is too low.

Combining mis-matched cells and/or packs into larger batteries generally does not work well. Best practice is to use cells of at least roughly matching capacity.

There is some testing and balancing you can do, look up recycled cells for battery packs, but this involves major re-construction.

Back