Himiway Wheel Size Settings?

ozzie21

Local time
3:51 AM
I see my Himiway Cruiser came with the settings for wheel size as 26" OD. Yea that's the rim size but if you measure the overall OD of the tire and wheel it's more like 28+ inches. So what should a guy set his wheel size at so he can get the best accurate speed, 26" or 28"? Has anyone made corrections to the settings? What was the result? I've got a KD718 display that has my maximum speed set at 90 kph (yes I know the bike will never do 90 kph), so considering my using the KD718, I have no real speed limitation. Has changing the wheel size in the display settings resulted in any top speed capability changes?

Heya ozzie long time no see.

Best thing would be to get a car with good speedo to go behind you mate.
See if the readings on yur bike match the car speedo reading i'd think but i could be wrong.

I'm running a 26" X 2" drifter tire on the rear and a 29'er Schwalbe Big Apple on front and that is what i did to make sure i was having correct readings.

Yes changing wheel size changes things. Sometimes you can cheat the wheel size to get maybe a few mph out of the motor.
Now think...what does that do? I'm not sure lol

Set it at the 26" and have a car follow you and test the real time speed bruh.

Then set it at 28" and test again the same way and see the diff.

From there find the most correct one and stick with it i'd say.

Yes changing wheel size changes things. Sometimes you can cheat the wheel size to get maybe a few mph out of the motor.
Now think...what does that do? I'm not sure lol

Set it at the 26" and have a car follow you and test the real time speed bruh.

Then set it at 28" and test again the same way and see the diff.

From there find the most correct one and stick with it i'd say.
Yes I know changing wheel size makes a difference. I could use a GPS app and compare what my phone says to the display but I don't have a phone mount that I can attach to my handlebars and I have, or had, no plans to get one....ever. I'm a believer that when I go for a motorcycle or bike ride I prefer to leave the BS behind and enjoy the ride. But I'm on the fence now about getting a phone mount. I'd only use it to compare speeds then throw it in a drawer after.

Meh, I understand, i have a few drawers.

Sometimes the little things that we say we're not gonna do, can come back and show us a thing or two.

Yes I know changing wheel size makes a difference. I could use a GPS app and compare what my phone says to the display but I don't have a phone mount that I can attach to my handlebars and I have, or had, no plans to get one....ever. I'm a believer that when I go for a motorcycle or bike ride I prefer to leave the BS behind and enjoy the ride. But I'm on the fence now about getting a phone mount. I'd only use it to compare speeds then throw it in a drawer after.
Disregard my last comments. I forgot some time back I bought a crossbar bike bag that has a center mount phone holder as shown in attached photo. I'll see if I have time to check that today.....

Attachments

• Capture Rock Bros Bike Bag & Phone Mount.JPG
    Capture Rock Bros Bike Bag & Phone Mount.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 125
OK... I downloaded a GPS speedometer app to my phone and went out to check this. There wasn't a whole lot of difference between the KD718 display speedo and my phone's GPS speed displayed when set on either 26" or 28" wheel diameter. On both 26" & 28" settings there was quite a bit of fluctuation (probably due to GPS lag) even though I was trying to maintain as steady a speed as possible on the bike path. The bike path was had some twists with sections of inclines, declines and flats, as well as other bikers, one wheelers and a few people walking. Anyway, the bike's KD718 display set on 26" wheel size showed it was many times 2 kph higher than the GPS speedo app whereas when the display was set on 28" wheel size the difference was generally 1 kph higher on the KD718 display. These differences seemed to be similar at all speeds and up to 54-55 kph. I could have possibly been able to go faster on a nice long flat stretch but a few kph more wouldn't have made any difference in regards to the calibration testing. So bottom line, I left the wheel size setting on 28". I'll continue to monitor this.

I did another test. See attached. My top speed showing on my KD718 display was 55.8 kph (34.68 mph). My top speed showing on my phone GPS app was 54+ kph (34 mph). I'm saying 54+ kph because my GPS app doesn't display decimals so I'm assuming the speed was somewhere in-between 54 & 55 kph. So being less than 1 kph difference from my KD718 display and the GPS app I think is quite accurate and acceptable. As I said before I changed my settings from being for a 26" wheel size to being now a 28" wheel size. I'm gonna leave the settings on 28" wheel size. I was going to continue and see if I might be able to get a bit more than 34-35 mph but it started raining so the testing was aborted cuz I'm a p**sy and hate riding in the rain....lol. FYI I've got a 48T chainring. If I could get a larger chainring mounted the same as the stock chainring without hitting the frame and getting an extreme chainline I'd really like to use a 52T chainring, which I already have sitting on my shelf. I'd have to mount larger than 48T on the outside of my bracket causing an offset I don't like the looks of.

Attachments

• 20220730_182347_resized.jpg
    20220730_182347_resized.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20220730-182313_Speedometer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220730-182313_Speedometer.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 112
Back