Himiway Range Test

kerock17

Hi all, I have had my all-terrain cruiser since mid March. Because of the unpredictable weather here in the Northwest and basic laziness on my part I've only put 100 miles on the bike. I've been curious about how much range is 17 1/2 amp hour battery will provide.

So after the last charge of the battery I reset the trip meter and just rode the bike until yesterday when I had gone 28.4 miles and I was down to one bar. The last bar was not flashing which I understand is when you should charge but living in the hills the remaining battery just did not have enough power to really get me up the hills properly.

The 28.4 miles was a mixture of pedal assist and throttle, pretty heavy on the throttle as I get a little lazy and use the throttle. My riding mostly consist of hill climbing and flat ground cruising. The actual climb to get to my home starts at about 50 feet above sea level and ends at over 350 feet. This climb is all within about 8/10 of a mile.
I took my new Cruiser on a 30 mile test ride to see how it would do. The bike had about 25 previous miles on it. The trail was the Jorden river trail in SLC, mostly flat but some up and down - overpasses, bridges and stuff - mostly paved. It was fairly crowded so there was lots of slow down and speed up situations. Some headwind for the first 15 miles. I am a big guy at about 280 lbs. and 6'1" (64 years old). We rode pretty fast when we could - 20 mph or so, probably averaged 13-15 mph. Did mostly pedal assist.

After the first 15 miles the battery still had 4 bars (out of 5), but it dropped faster after that. By mile 27 I was down to one bar (last bar) and it was still at one bar when we finished (31 miles). After I stopped it waffled between one and two bars. It was not the 40-60 miles advertised, but I was satisfied with the results being big and all. Wishing for a second battery...but oh the cost.....

Hoggdoc

Website
activityphoto.com
I took my new Cruiser on a 30 mile test ride to see how it would do. The bike had about 25 previous miles on it. The trail was the Jorden river trail in SLC, mostly flat but some up and down - overpasses, bridges and stuff - mostly paved. It was fairly crowded so there was lots of slow down and speed up situations. Some headwind for the first 15 miles. I am a big guy at about 280 lbs. and 6'1" (64 years old). We rode pretty fast when we could - 20 mph or so, probably averaged 13-15 mph. Did mostly pedal assist.

After the first 15 miles the battery still had 4 bars (out of 5), but it dropped faster after that. By mile 27 I was down to one bar (last bar) and it was still at one bar when we finished (31 miles). After I stopped it waffled between one and two bars. It was not the 40-60 miles advertised, but I was satisfied with the results being big and all. Wishing for a second battery...but oh the cost.....
You didn't say how much throttle you were using or if you were peddling what pedal assist level you were using. Typically the easy bike manufacturers state their mileage using the lowest level of assist while pedaling in their max mileage listings. I have the same bike you do and typically get about 30 miles on a charge and I mix between pedal and full throttle and I also have to climb some serious hills getting home after each ride.

BBassett

... typically get about 30 miles on a charge and I mix between pedal and full throttle and I also have to climb some serious hills getting home after each ride.
You're getting about what you should, of course, the more leg you put into it the more range you get. There are lots of ways to maximize range but that will never be your bike's strong point.

pnwbiker

I call BS. No offense, but... that's very very improbable.
You can call BS if you want (no offense), it's not improbable at all if you know what you are doing. On PAS 1, I can easily attain 70 miles on mostly flat terrain. I have modified the computer settings from the default, much more conservative than as delivered. After having the bike for a year, I don't ride it at PAS 1 unless I am trying to make it last. I got 64 miles at PAS 1 before charging last week as I'm trying to get my legs ready for a long ride this weekend. I'll ride 40+ miles this weekend, starting with a full battery and end with over 75% of the battery remaining (as I did last year).

BBassett

... I'll ride 40+ miles this weekend, starting with a full battery and end with over 75% of the battery remaining (as I did last year).
Of course, you will sweetheart. And no offense taken I'm not "A" little girl with easily bruised feelings. So you're saying you can get 160 miles on a full charge on your SUV by crawling along at 6 mph? In that scenario, any ebike can ride an unlimited distance on a single charge, by just not using it... right? 1000 miles on a single charge! 10,000 miles! I'm sure with all that riding you do you should have some documentation to show your mileage, speed, range, and charge levels before and after a ride... or not. If I had someone that I disliked enough to give them a Himiway I'd suggest going on a ride sometimes to test those fantastic claims for "pink slips" so to speak. We (you and I) are fairly close, maybe when I finally get my Piston Pro X rack this month I can drive down to Oregon for the day to have you take me on a long ride. Stay safe.

pnwbiker

This place used to be a fun place to hang out, share experiences and help others. Recently, not so much.

I do have "receipts", not that anyone here would take them at face value. I never said making the battery last that long would be fun for most people as it takes a lot of leg work, nor do I recommend running the battery down that far on a regular basis. Have fun.

BBassett

This place used to be a fun place to hang out, share experiences and help others. Recently, not so much.

I do have "receipts", not that anyone here would take them at face value. I never said making the battery last that long would be fun for most people as it takes a lot of leg work, nor do I recommend running the battery down that far on a regular basis. Have fun.
Not sure what you mean by receipts, I was actually talking about ride data, and charging data. So you are saying that any ebike, all ebikes, have unlimited range? And you choose to lunk a Himiway the SUV of ebikes around for fun on leg power. Ok, that's cool. Crawling around on soft or muddy surfaces is a blast on wide rubber, with a 1 h.p. mid-drive turning an IGH, and a big battery. I'd really love to have you ride with me for a couple of hours sometime. I'm sorry you think I should live in a world where I don't question things I suspect are pure... ahhhh, in a world where something being said goes against everything I have learned for myself in nearly 40K miles of ebike riding. I don't live in that world, dude. Stay safe.

Black100

@LTK Honolulu .
What kind ebikes do you ride?
@pnwbiker I can smell the BS and I'm in the middle of the Pacific.
I'm new in this forum, we can make it fun and educational or we can talk stories about our wonderful ebikes and keep it real

BBassett

I'm new in this forum, we can make it fun and educational or we can talk stories about our wonderful ebikes and keep it real
When you've wasted a couple of thousand dollars on something lame because the price was more important than getting a quality product maybe it's natural to BS about how good it is. I knew one hooker in Germany in the 90s that was spectacular! Beautiful... rode like a dream. Maybe not the best analogy, maybe it is,

Top Bottom