Himiway different controllers setup:

Wayne

Local time
5:12 AM
This spring, 2022, I bought two Himiway ebikes. One Cruiser and one Setp-thru.
On the Cruiser, the throttle works at pedal assist settings 0-5. I find that desirable, especially when teaching someone how to operate the bike for the first time.
On the Step-thru model, the throttle will not work on pedal assist setting 0 but it does work on settings 1-5.
I'd like to set the throttle control on the Step-thru to work the same way as the Cruiser.
Any ideas?
It would be extremely helpful if Himiway would make available a COMPLETE controller setup manual.

On the Cruiser, the throttle works at pedal assist settings 0-5. I find that desirable, especially when teaching someone how to operate the bike for the first time.
On the Step-thru model, the throttle will not work on pedal assist setting 0 but it does work on settings 1-5.
I'd like to set the throttle control on the Step-thru to work the same way as the Cruiser.
Any ideas?
It would be extremely helpful if Himiway would make available a COMPLETE controller setup manual.
Hello Wayne,
Have you resolved your issue? I recall that there is a setting that may impact your issue. I will look it up if you still need help. It had to do with whether or not the throttle adopted the PAS setting or would operate to max power regardless of the PAS setting.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. I have not yet resolved the issue but I did get an answer back from Himiway which included instructions that were pretty straightforward although the title of the "fix" was not. I'm waiting for a replacement caliper to arrive currently. Once I get that I'll install it and try the fix they proposed.
If you have a solution in mind that you are able to forward, I'm interested.
Thanks again,
Wayne

Hi Wayne,
I attached a snapshot of the setting from the LCD manual that I believe is responsible for the way your throttle is operating. The full manual for the LCD display is available on the Himiway site. Maybe they sent it to you. It sounds to me like yours is set HF-y and you would prefer HF-n.

Attachments

• B1536724-E3BD-436F-AD88-B0570598F40E.png
    B1536724-E3BD-436F-AD88-B0570598F40E.png
    186.8 KB · Views: 404
Hi Wayne,
I attached a snapshot of the setting from the LCD manual that I believe is responsible for the way your throttle is operating. The full manual for the LCD display is available on the Himiway site. Maybe they sent it to you. It sounds to me like yours is set HF-y and you would prefer HF-n.
I have Himiway Cruiser it only allows throttle to work when PA level one and above. What this setting does is allow full throttle regardless of what PA level is selected but it does have to be in PA level one o above for the throttle to work at all. I like it that way because basically when in PS 0 the throttle and PA are both disabled.

Any ideas?
Hi, I have the same problem with my Himiway Cruiser, What did you do to fix the problem ?

Hi, I have the same problem with my Himiway Cruiser, What did you do to fix the problem ?
Hello rgfrit,
There is a E-bike Display User Manual on the Himiway site. Under the section “Personalized Parameter Settings” there is a parameter called “Throttle-PAS enable/disable”. Setting HF-y would seem to be the way your bike is set. Setting HF-n should ignore your PAS level and provide throttle in PAS level 0. Hope this helps.
Steve

Hi Steve,
I did set HF-y to HF-n but still no throttle at level 0 ? I also reset to factory defaults and I checked that HF-n was set correctly.
Are there any other perimeters you can think of to fix this problem ?

Thanks Again Bob

Hi Steve,
I did set HF-y to HF-n but still no throttle at level 0 ? I also reset to factory defaults and I checked that HF-n was set correctly.

Thanks Again Bob
Hi Bob,
I can’t think of another parameter off hand, but I will see what I can find. This problem sounds a lot like one I have with our Cruiser Step through where when I enable the security passcode but don’t enter the code the motor is still enabled and the throttle works. This is not the case with my cobra. If I don’t enter the passcode the motor is disabled as I would expect. Himiway’s response was that the Step Thru is made in a different factory and the programming is different. I wonder if your cruiser issue is similar because of different programming. Have you tried enabling the security code on your Step Thru? Does it work like mine? They have poor quality control if they can’t even program all the bikes the same way.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. I have not yet resolved the issue but I did get an answer back from Himiway which included instructions that were pretty straightforward although the title of the "fix" was not. I'm waiting for a replacement caliper to arrive currently. Once I get that I'll install it and try the fix they proposed.
Thanks again,
Wayne
Hi Wayne.

Here is the Himiway link you need.

(Click on 'LCD display User Manual' when on that page.)

God bless

Hi Steve,
Thanks again,
Wayne
Hi Wayne

Here is the Himiway link that you need

Click 'LCD display User Manual' on that page.
(I have also included/attached this manual download as well for your convenience )

God bless

Attachments

• LCD_display_User_Manual-KD51C_d0be4ae8-ad3e-4047-95f0-973c66f0b3b4 (1).pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 292
Hi Bob,
I can’t think of another parameter off hand, but I will see what I can find. This problem sounds a lot like one I have with our Cruiser Step through where when I enable the security passcode but don’t enter the code the motor is still enabled and the throttle works. This is not the case with my cobra. If I don’t enter the passcode the motor is disabled as I would expect. Himiway’s response was that the Step Thru is made in a different factory and the programming is different. I wonder if your cruiser issue is similar because of different programming. Have you tried enabling the security code on your Step Thru? Does it work like mine? They have poor quality control if they can’t even program all the bikes the same way.
Hi Steve O,

I did check out enabling the security code and it did lockout the display and the throttle, I did find this on YouTube (BBSHD no throttle on 0) www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpV_h9twtKk

The issue is discussed in the video but the programing setup is for a mid-drive bike.I do not know if the Himiway Cruiser controller has a locked program. I am attempting to resolve an issue with my throttle not being active on peddle assist level "0". It would appear the only way to resolve this problem is to access the factory programing presets through the Luna program and Bafang interface cable with a male to male adapter cable. I am aware that the Bafang interface cable is for Mid Drive motors but it should work ? Of course if the controller has a locked program it would not be posable. Unfortunately no-one can tell me if the controller is locked.

"0" setting is for no help at all from the electric.
If you want to give a novice a 'safe' setting, why would you have "0" run the throttle?
It looks like a responsible way to help the beginner.

No, 0, to me, means no pedal assist, one of the 6 settings for that feature.
Why? Consider that the bike weighs as much as my grandaughter who, at 14, is excited to ride the bike and has put many miles on it. BUT starting from a stop on an increasing incline is difficult for her even at PA-1. Using the throttle to assist in taking off is much safer for her than having to control the bike through the initial pedal rotation under those conditions. In addition, simply wanting to use only throttle somtimes is also desirable. I still struggle to understand why himiway programmed one bike's contoller to work with operational throttle at PA-0 and the other bike not to. I never did find the answer to my initilal question.

Hi Steve,

Thanks Again Bob
Everything I can find shows PA at 0 totally removes electrical assist, PA or throttle. That seems a safety feature. Select 0 and there is no chance of an inadvertent twist of the throttle causing mayhem. I wonder if one could go into PA settings and set 1 assist for one at zero. That might do what (I think) you want.
Likewise, either brake lever pulled - no PA and no throttle. Now that one I wish I had some selectability. Stop with brakes on a steep climb and want some help from the throttle to get going again? No dice (unless I release the brakes with the throttle twisted - a technique best thoroughly practiced before needed). Do it wrong and probably either dirt-kicking wheel spin (Sorry buddy!) or rolling backwards towards that big step I just climbed.

I have the opposite problem. My ST Cruiser throttle energizes even with PAS 0. I would prefer throttle cannot energize in PAS 0.
How would I change this?

Back