Hi From Australia

Aussie

Local time
1:30 AM
I live in Melbourne, Australia and am about to buy my first eBike after months of research.

What started out as a confusing and somewhat convoluted research endeavour I have finally decided on a mid-drive and the rest comes down to my personal aesthetics requirement. Given the legal limit of a motor is 250w in Australia the rest of my decision making has come down to 2 particular bikes.

*I finally bought it this morning and as soon as I can will post an image.

Welcome to the forum! There's a really low limit for ebikes here in Australia hey and the rules vary a little from state to state. I suppose as ebikes become a more popular mode of transport over time, the restrictions will hopefully be reconsidered. The way around it would be to simply order a motor kit online and build your own ebike. Anyway, I'm interested in seeing the ebike you ended up with, please post up a photo!

Welcome to the forum! There's a really low limit for ebikes here in Australia hey and the rules vary a little from state to state. I suppose as ebikes become a more popular mode of transport over time, the restrictions will hopefully be reconsidered. The way around it would be to simply order a motor kit online and build your own ebike. Anyway, I'm interested in seeing the ebike you ended up with, please post up a photo!

Here's the bike I bought. It's a Merida eSPRESSO 300SE EQ 2021 It's maiden commute was today and I found it extremely comfortable and organic to ride.

merida eSPRESSO 300SE EQ.jpg

I live in Melbourne, Australia and am about to buy my first eBike after months of research.

What started out as a confusing and somewhat convoluted research endeavour I have finally decided on a mid-drive and the rest comes down to my personal aesthetics requirement. Given the legal limit of a motor is 250w in Australia the rest of my decision making has come down to 2 particular bikes.

*I finally bought it this morning and as soon as I can will post an image.
Welcome to the forum. Your choice of a mode drive was the right one give the 250W limit in your country. The advantage offered by being able to use the gears in the drivetrain of the mid-drive bike will be well appreciated I'm sure.

I live in a very hilly area here in SW Washington State, USA and my 750W geared hub drive struggles at times even though it draws over 1200W. I now wish I had chosen a mid-drive setup even though they cost considerably more.

Back