Hey from Western NY

Snoop

Local time
2:23 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Shawn, and I’m new to the forum. I live in Western NY, near Lake Ontario.

I purchased my first ebike about 2 months ago, and have happily pedaled about 550 miles already! Ended up getting the Aventon Pace 500 (next gen) and am thrilled with it. Decked it out with the Aventon add-on fenders and rear rack options.

Pedaling with power has totally redefined cycling for me. I use the bike mainly for commuting to work and back (6 miles each way) and for taking weekend adventures along the many local trails.

I‘ll try to post some of my experiences as I embark on this journey. I’m sure I’ll have questions for some of the experienced forum members as well.

Thanks for letting me be part of this community.

Attachments

• 7AC50C7E-04AA-4DC0-8929-77AA209125EF.jpeg
    7AC50C7E-04AA-4DC0-8929-77AA209125EF.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 124
Makes ya feel like a kid again doesn't it Shawn?

It really does.
I think my favorite part is being able to enjoy the benefits of biking (local commuting, being outdoors, scenery, exploring new areas without worrying about parking, etc, and just the “fun of it”) without feeling like I am crushing a workout.

While I’m all for exercise, and the 550 pedal assisted miles I’ve done so far are certainly better than the zero miles I would have otherwise done ;) , it’s nice to be able to enjoy biking without feeling exhausted. Or showing up to work needing a shower, LOL.

Another thing I’ve been enjoying is exploring local bike paths. My car bike rack has given me the flexibility to drive out to those, so no regrets buying that. I found an app (TrailLink) which gives maps of many local routes, which is pretty cool, and I’ve been checking them off as I do them.

Welcome to our humble home :)

It was amazing to me how many trials and riding areas there are within just minutes of my house... 90% I had no idea they were even there. What I started enjoying most is riding slow... riding at about the same pace as a fast walker. Just enjoying the almost effortless motion. When I'm riding at 20 to 35 mph most of my attention is focused on my line and whatever might be intruding on it, but at 5 mph it is almost serenity. I have been feeding crows from the bike for 6 years now. Interacting with them takes way more attention than just focusing on "my line" regardless of the speed, and they can fly fast! I have watched them drop in on me on a large open area and they have to be doing over 50 mph. Depending on head or tail winds there are times that I can't outrun them. Try riding along at 35 mph in big looping lines and zipping peanuts to crows both in flight and stationery that have been practicing this game for years now. I get way more exercise riding an ebike than I would on a standard bike now. I'm like you, I enjoy not having to feel cooked at the end of the ride.

How long has your max ride been and how long did it take?
I been throwing peanuts to the squirrels and the birds in the park :ROFLMAO:

Those days of 50+MPH are over for me. I just cruise at 9 up to 14 MPH now days. Life took a turn and i slowed down.

Ride Safe :cool:

HP

It really does.
I think my favorite part is being able to enjoy the benefits of biking (local commuting, being outdoors, scenery, exploring new areas without worrying about parking, etc, and just the “fun of it”) without feeling like I am crushing a workout.

While I’m all for exercise, and the 550 pedal assisted miles I’ve done so far are certainly better than the zero miles I would have otherwise done ;) , it’s nice to be able to enjoy biking without feeling exhausted. Or showing up to work needing a shower, LOL.

Another thing I’ve been enjoying is exploring local bike paths. My car bike rack has given me the flexibility to drive out to those, so no regrets buying that. I found an app (TrailLink) which gives maps of many local routes, which is pretty cool, and I’ve been checking them off as I do them.
It was amazing to me how many trials and riding areas there are within just minutes of my house... 90% I had no idea they were even there. What I started enjoying most is riding slow... riding at about the same pace as a fast walker. Just enjoying the almost effortless motion. When I'm riding at 20 to 35 mph most of my attention is focused on my line and whatever might be intruding on it, but at 5 mph it is almost serenity. I have been feeding crows from the bike for 6 years now. Interacting with them takes way more attention than just focusing on "my line" regardless of the speed, and they can fly fast! I have watched them drop in on me on a large open area and they have to be doing over 50 mph. Depending on head or tail winds there are times that I can't outrun them. Try riding along at 35 mph in big looping lines and zipping peanuts to crows both in flight and stationery that have been practicing this game for years now. I get way more exercise riding an ebike than I would on a standard bike now. I'm like you, I enjoy not having to feel cooked at the end of the ride.

I think my longest ride was just shy of 40 miles (round trip). It’s tough to say how long it took, as it was mostly along a scenic gorge and I took a lot of stops and breaks to take it in. Also came across other bikers that day (where I learned that cyclists are mostly pretty friendly and like to talk a lot about their gear :) ). On paved blacktop my comfort zone is usually around 12-14 mph, though, except when I’m commuting to work, where I’m usually at a pretty steady 17 mph.

I agree with you that it is nice to sometimes just coast slowly as well. Life is short, we should enjoy it.

I think my longest ride was just shy of 40 miles (round trip). It’s tough to say how long it took, as it was mostly along a scenic gorge and I took a lot of stops and breaks to take it in. Also came across other bikers that day (where I learned that cyclists are mostly pretty friendly and like to talk a lot about their gear :) ). On paved blacktop my comfort zone is usually around 12-14 mph, though, except when I’m commuting to work, where I’m usually at a pretty steady 17 mph.

I agree with you that it is nice to sometimes just coast slowly as well. Life is short, we should enjoy it.
Sweet! 40 miles is a great ride. On some rides, I'm off the bike more than on... I totally get it. I find that actual riders are a friendly lot, people that just talk about riding not so much, too much time stuck indoors I suspect. As you spend more time on the bike you might find your average speed starts to inch up. It looks like you are set for when the weather turns wet too. Think about the rain gear you are going to be using to get to work and back now so you're ready. Ride safe.

Back