Can anyone advise me on a suitable ebike within UK law?

Joneb

Local time
8:33 PM
Help me from going bald tearing my hair out, please.

In the UK you'll probably know the law states an e bikes power cant be capable of going above 250 watt, it can't have a throttle or travel more than 15mph

Right now there are many cyclists that aren't conforming. That's their choice but I get hassle from my friends for not getting a 750 watt, throttled at 250. They take for granted this makes it legal but I have never found clarity on this .

Now I am a 55 year old, 117 kg man and very unfit but I dont want limited by steep hills and I believe therefore the torque will make all the difference. I do want to be able to go off the beaten track too however, I don't want to go to £1900 sterling either for a decent 250 watt high torque . That's the cost of the Eskute Netuno Pro with 80 torque that I think I need to feel comfortable and safe for steep hills. It also has good reviews.

It seems most other 250 watt ebikes that are around the price I'm happy to pay have a torque of 40 max. I don't know if this will be enough to help me on steep hills safely, otherwise I would buy the basic Eskute Netuno or a Coniston DRB hardtail.

I thought about Engwe C20 pro too but though its not quite a fat tyre Im not sure if its still as heavy. It uses a throttle. I dont know if this can be altered

So my price range I'm happy to go with is £1100 but for being road legal, comfortable and safe on steep hills at my fitness level, I will push to £1900.

Sorry for the drawn out post

Oh I meant to add are there 250 watt, pretty high torque kits at around £600.

Can anyone advise me on a suitable bike within UK law pkease

In the UK you'll probably know the law states an e bikes power cant be capable of going above 250 watt, it can't have a throttle or travel more than 15mph

Right now there are many cyclists that aren't conforming. That's their choice but I get hassle from my friends for not getting a 750 watt, throttled at 250. They take for granted this makes it legal but I have never found clarity on this .

Now I am a 55 year old, 117 kg man and very unfit but I dont want limited by steep hills and I believe therefore the torque will make all the difference. I do want to be able to go off the beaten track too however, I don't want to go to £1900 sterling either for a decent 250 watt high torque . That's the cost of the Eskute Netuno Pro with 80 torque that I think I need to feel comfortable and safe for steep hills. It also has good reviews.

It seems most other 250 watt ebikes that are around the price I'm happy to pay have a torque of 40 max. I don't know if this will be enough to help me on steep hills safely, otherwise I would buy the basic Netuno or a Coniston DRB hardtail.

I thought about Engwe C20 pro too but though its not quite a fat tyre Im not sure if its still as heavy. It uses a throttle. I dont know if this can be altered

So my price range I'm happy to go with is £1100 but for being road legal, comfortable and safe on steep hills at my fitness level, I will push to £1900.

Sorry for the drawn out post
Living in the UK with their extremely limited specs is a major problem and that's why you see people stepping outside the rules. Given you are a pretty big guy weight wise I would suggest riding a 250W bike on the typical paths you would travel. This is the only way you will be able to see if one of the low power bikes would work for you.

I agree the Eskute Netuno Pro sounds like it might be a good fit for you, but find a dealer and test ride one before springing for it. Keep in mind the bikes maximum payload including rider is only 10 Kg over your weight.

Well a similar sized guy and I don't know what 250 watts means. My bbs02 has an 860c computer, and even peddling it pulls 1100 1200 watts going uphill in low gear with me peddling. I have a lekkie 36 t upfront. Not granted what I have is older so my rear cassette doesn't have a massive low gear. But I don't see how 250watt would get you up a hill. I think it's 250 nominal. Not peak. I can't recommend the bbs02 enough

Well a similar sized guy and I don't know what 250 watts means. My bbs02 has an 860c computer, and even peddling it pulls 1100 1200 watts going uphill in low gear with me peddling. I have a lekkie 36 t upfront. Not granted what I have is older so my rear cassette doesn't have a massive low gear. But I don't see how 250watt would get you up a hill. I think it's 250 nominal. Not peak. I can't recommend the bbs02 enough
I agree the 250w rating most likely nominal but even given that it is not going to have the torque your bbs02 has.

Back