Hello, introduction and possible electrical problem

sam

Local time
4:41 AM
Just joined Electricbikes, glad to see an active group on the topic.

I've been commuting here in Pennsylvania for almost two years, April through October, about 9 miles each way.

I'm on a 24" Nordic Track with a 36-volt Wilderness Energy kit bought on Ebay. Aside from the expected maintenance of the bike and the electrical and drive system, details of which I'll probably discuss in future posts, it's been a great little EV for me.

After some recent frame repair work, I put it all back together and have been riding for about a week on the reassembled bike. My 3) 12v 11ah batteries were on their desulfating charger all the while the work was underway.

Now, sometimes going up a stiff hill, the power seems to fade sometimes.

this isn't the same as dying batteries, or aging batteries. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries, and they're still fine. This was something else I think.

My question is, are there some parts of the electrical and motor system that wear out or begin to lose performance eventually? Is my brushless motor a possible suspect? The wiring in general?

Maybe it's the controller. It's a little black box that I mount under the seat, which connects the front drive wheel with the thumb throttle, and has a lame little stamped key the size of a bracelet charm.

Looking forward to chiming in with some of my own solutions and experiences,

When you are desulfating batteries they are receiving a higher voltage charge than normal. This is an attempt to push the sulfate back into solution. I would suggest a full charge then a votage reading. You will probably see about 13.2. This is the surface charge from being charged. You will probably find that charge dissapates overnight and you should level off at about 12.7. This voltage should hold for a week or more. Do not load the battery and continue to take readings. If a couple of weeks go by and you are no lower than 12.5 the battery will probably deliver satisfactory service. I do not think the battery will be good after all that time with an overcharge applied. If you do the voltage test and the battery holds it's charge at least it is eliminated.

My name is Tom and I was asked to intruduce myself. I am very new here. I am 74 and recovering from ankle fusion surgery. I bought a Himiway Zebra which I got and assembled last Friday. No pictures of the bike. It has been raining since I got it. I do have a picture of my newest bone jewelery. I do have lots of other pieces for a later discussion.

Perhaps someone could tell me, what is the proper inflation pressure of a 26 x 4 tire?

Attachments

• inbound846648294302071990.jpg
    inbound846648294302071990.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 121
@TomDu Hello! On my fat tire ebike (Himiway Cruiser) I run 15 PSI in the rear and 12 PSI in the front. Some run higher pressures but I find these work great for me, YMMV. Have fun on that Zebra when you can get out and ride! Waiting for dryer weather here so I can as well. Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. Deninetly sounds like a reasonable starting point. I was really surprise at how firm 10 PSI made the tires feel. I've been through the owners manual and can't find a referance for pressure. The tires say between 20 and 40.

I do wonder how Sam is doing with his batteries. I forgot to ask which technology his batteries are. I've only run desulfation on wet cells where the electrolyte can be replaced.

I started out at 20 PSI when I rec'd the bike. I didn't know any better until I had it serviced and it was recommended to try lower pressures (for a softer ride and better traction). After about 800+ miles, these are the pressures I find work best for me. Great tire wear so far. Have fun!

Tires have a range of recommended air pressures printed on them. What is best for your ride is up to you. Safety zone for exceeded recommended pressures is a factor of the particular rim design plus load and environment.

Higher pressure gives better mileage, speed, rougher ride.

Lower pressure gives softer ride, lower speed, less mileage.

Exceeding mfr's recommendations in either direction can cause sudden flats and loss of control.

Oh, and the original post is four years old.

Back