Hello from Yakima, WA - Struggling finding a carrier for 2 bikes

Grampa_biker

Local time
1:42 AM
In the process of purchasing the Aventon Aventure e-bike. Struggling mightily finding a carrier for 2 bikes (73 pounds each) that can be safely installed on the back of an RV bus. Most top out at 60 or 65 pounds per bike or are not recommended for use behind an RV. I have had 2 bike rack failures (1 weld attachment, and one rack structure) that ended up in dragging bikes down a rough road at 55 mph. So, maybe I am a little conservative.
Would love help.

If you've got the hitch, a lot of people mention the cheap motorcycle carrier from Harbor Freight. I don't have any personal experience with that though.

FulTyme RV Hitch Mount Two Bike Rack Double 200lbs Capacity 2" Receiver 1300

Just got mine, still in the box so no review from me; but, others claim it works. Looks solid and was cheap to buy.

Most definitely check out "1up"
They offer a heavy duty version of single or double. I can attest to the exceptional build quality.
I have riese and muller double battery bikes. 1 up is a usa company and has them in stock. Most others are relying on overseas parts and the wait is long.
I absolutely love the way the carrier grabs the wheels. The carrier detaches and folds for storage. I can even tilt the carrier foward allowing me to open my pick up tail gate fully while I have bikes loaded

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck on your quest. Hauling two Aventures is a big ask. Those are monster bikes. Sounds like you’ve got some good leads, though.

You‘ve probably already checked, but I would make sure the tongue weight on your hitch can also handle the combined weight of the two bikes and the rack itself. Don’t forget, if you add a hitch extender (which I had to do to get beyond the spare tire on my Wrangler) it can cut your tongue weight capacity in half.

Thanks for the tips. The hitch is for a trailer or car hauler, behind the RV, so it will handle the bikes. Yes, agree that 150 lbs is a lot of weight for a rack. Right now, the 1Up Super Duty double (sounds like a fast food or latte order) is looking like the best option. Some folks on the forum are hauling the 73# bike on a rack that is rated to 50#. Yikes! There is a healthy design safety factor, but wiser folks don't use that up. That's needed for washboard or roller coaster roads, and the occasional crater that we call a pothole.

In the process of purchasing the Aventon Aventure e-bike. Struggling mightily finding a carrier for 2 bikes (73 pounds each) that can be safely installed on the back of an RV bus. Most top out at 60 or 65 pounds per bike or are not recommended for use behind an RV. I have had 2 bike rack failures (1 weld attachment, and one rack structure) that ended up in dragging bikes down a rough road at 55 mph. So, maybe I am a little conservative.
Would love help.
Hollywood racks makes a great one.it will hold up to a 5 inch wide tire.bought mine from rad bikes and it came with the brackets for 20 inch tires

FulTyme RV Hitch Mount Two Bike Rack Double 200lbs Capacity 2" Receiver 1300

Just got mine, still in the box so no review from me; but, others claim it works. Looks solid and was cheap to buy.
Thanks. I have the step through bike which would mean purchasing a bar to install from seat post to head, that the rack would capture. Not a fan of doing that, but not completely out of the question.

When I was looking for a bike rack to hold two 70 lb e-bikes on the rear of a motorhome the only ones that fit the bill were ones from Hollywood, Swagman, and 1UP. At the time the ones from Hollywood and Swagman were out of stock everywhere. I bought the 1Up Super Duty Double rack and it has been excellent. I used it with the two 70 lb e-bikes and now with two 27 lb e-bikes.

The 1Up rack as a terrible ramp and so I bought a motorcycle/dirt bike ramp on Amazon and modified one end with cable clamps so it could be easily attached to the 1up rack. It worked very well. With heavy e-bike a longer ramp makes it much easier to wheel a bike up onto the platform. I bought a folding ramp so it would be easier to fit in the RV compartment.

For security with the bike on the RV I bought a $15 motion alarm from Amazon and a cover to fit over both bikes and a heavy duty cargo net to fit over the bike cover. A thief would have to put in a lot of time and effort with little way to know if there were bikes of real value under the cargo net and bike cover.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
When I was looking for a bike rack to hold two 70 lb e-bikes on the rear of a motorhome the only ones that fit the bill were ones from Hollywood, Swagman, and 1UP. At the time the ones from Hollywood and Swagman were out of stock everywhere. I bought the 1Up Super Duty Double rack and it has been excellent. I used it with the two 70 lb e-bikes and now with two 27 lb e-bikes.

The 1Up rack as a terrible ramp and so I bought a motorcycle/dirt bike ramp on Amazon and modified one end with cable clamps so it could be easily attached to the 1up rack. It worked very well. With heavy e-bike a longer ramp makes it much easier to wheel a bike up onto the platform. I bought a folding ramp so it would be easier to fit in the RV compartment.

For security with the bike on the RV I bought a $15 motion alarm from Amazon and a cover to fit over both bikes and a heavy duty cargo net to fit over the bike cover. A thief would have to put in a lot of time and effort with little way to know if there were bikes of real value under the cargo net and bike cover.

Awesome information! Thanks.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
FWIW, I'm happy (so far) with the KAC K1-RT hitch mounted rack - will take 2 fat-tire eBikes. $470 from Amazon. Quick to load the bikes, and the hook ratchets down and locks. They sell racks suitable 1.25" and 2" trailer hitches.

Thule makes 2 bike eBike carriers. Thule is agreat company. Go to a REI store if there is one in your area.

If you have a 2"hitch you should be good as far as that goes. I have a 1.5" on my car but carry only one ebike at 56 lbs (without batteries) and a 16 lb road bike. The rack is rated to 120 lbs but I still remove both batteries when transporting them. I was never comfortable with the amount of flex even with 2 regular bikes. I found an accessary that really helped. It's a nylon strap that has a coated flat hook that hooks onto the center top of my trunk near the rear window. The other end loops around the top of the rack center post. Then you simply snug it up a bit with a pull by the tension lock. Similar to a canoe or kayak strap. It minimizes the amount flex and stress on the rack which is absorbed by the strap. It's very useful for any set up and takes stress away from the driver also, especially when you hit a bump...LOL

Back