Hello from WA state ! New E-Bike owner - Himiway

WG7D

Local time
2:08 AM
Hi ! I am Mike from eastern WA state (Kennewick) and just bought my first E-Bike. It is a Himiway cruiser.
Loving it so far. I started a playlist on my YouTube channel for my rides. Here is the link.

My channel

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the video! Looks like you're enjoying your Himiway cruiser.

Hi Mike welcome. Can you tell us how long it took to get your Himiway. I have one on order and once they printed the shipping label nothing has happened. Himiway claims they have to have a full truck load before FedEx will pickup the bikes, I don't believe that.

KB6HD here!

Hi Mike welcome. Can you tell us how long it took to get your Himiway. I have one on order and once they printed the shipping label nothing has happened. Himiway claims they have to have a full truck load before FedEx will pickup the bikes, I don't believe that.

KB6HD here!
Mine took about 3-weeks. The cruisers shipped faster, the step thrus longer what I hear.

Hey Mike - I’ve done a lot of research on hub vs mid-drive motors before I purchased a Trek Allant +7S Stagger (Bosch mid-drive). Just wondering how your Himiway does climbing steep hills? Does it have enough torque?
I actually just purchased my ebike but will take possession of it in a couple of days (driving to Walla Walla).
That to say, I don’t know how the Trek will actually perform and I was considering purchasing a Himiway. My final decision was largely based on local service vs on-line.

OK thanks at least now I have an idea of what to expect.
I see you’re in Washington along with Mike. I ordered my Himiway Cruiser on Sunday night (March 7) and since we live in San Diego and they have a warehouse in Chino I sent them an email asking if I could simply pick it up. I will be in Orange County for meetings and honestly I’d rather get it sooner and avoid the delay/possible shipping damage. I will say the command of the English language from Himiway reps is not exactly high but it’s better than my Mandarin...Ha, Ha! We’ll see how it goes including the assembly. Hope you get your Himiway Cruiser soon.

I see you’re in Washington along with Mike. I ordered my Himiway Cruiser on Sunday night (March 7) and since we live in San Diego and they have a warehouse in Chino I sent them an email asking if I could simply pick it up. I will be in Orange County for meetings and honestly I’d rather get it sooner and avoid the delay/possible shipping damage. I will say the command of the English language from Himiway reps is not exactly high but it’s better than my Mandarin...Ha, Ha! We’ll see how it goes including the assembly. Hope you get your Himiway Cruiser soon.
Hey BMoreySurfs - I'm in the same boat (San Diego) and ordered two bikes a few days ago. If you would, let me know what you find out regarding picking them up in Chino. Seems like a better option for all!

Hey BMoreySurfs - I'm in the same boat (San Diego) and ordered two bikes a few days ago. If you would, let me know what you find out regarding picking them up in Chino. Seems like a better option for all!
Chip, you will want to email the after sales group at proposal@himiwaybike.com to request a pick up at their facility. Email them your order number etc. Once you arrive during the pick up window they give you park near the loading dock and wait patiently. I opted to pick mine up to avoid the possibility of shipping damage, plus I was going through LA to the Central Coast. Good Luck! Ping me at 858-602-2532 if I can assist in any way.

Chip, you will want to email the after sales group at proposal@himiwaybike.com to request a pick up at their facility. Email them your order number etc. Once you arrive during the pick up window they give you park near the loading dock and wait patiently. I opted to pick mine up to avoid the possibility of shipping damage, plus I was going through LA to the Central Coast. Good Luck! Ping me at 858-602-2532 if I can assist in any way.
BMoreySurfs - much appreciated! So, if I read correctly, you picked up your bike? If so, that is awesome and certainly look forward to hearing about the assembly process.

BMoreySurfs - much appreciated! So, if I read correctly, you picked up your bike? If so, that is awesome and certainly look forward to hearing about the assembly process.
btw, I did send them an email per your suggestion. Again, much appreciated!

Correct! Ordered the bike on a Sunday night, sent them an email Monday morning asking if I could pick it up from their warehouse which obviously saved them money on shipping but also minimized a possible damage in transit situation. Was able to get it in Chino at 11AM then drove up to the Central Coast (Morro Bay) to have dinner with our son & his girlfriend. Since I pulled into San Luis Obispo 90 minutes early I built the bike and tossed the cardboard. I was very careful following video instructions and had it assembled in less than 30 minutes including brake cable adjustments.

Correct! Ordered the bike on a Sunday night, sent them an email Monday morning asking if I could pick it up from their warehouse which obviously saved them money on shipping but also minimized a possible damage in transit situation. Was able to get it in Chino at 11AM then drove up to the Central Coast (Morro Bay) to have dinner with our son & his girlfriend. Since I pulled into San Luis Obispo 90 minutes early I built the bike and tossed the cardboard. I was very careful following video instructions and had it assembled in less than 30 minutes including brake cable adjustments.
Wow, awesome. Hope our experience is the same (picking up the bikes). We just returned from a week in Paso Robles (road cycling) but, had lunch in Morro Bay with the Sea Otters! Beautiful place for sure and a lot of good riding up there. Do you have thoughts on the brakes vs hydraulic? Might be a change in the future?

Wow, awesome. Hope our experience is the same (picking up the bikes). We just returned from a week in Paso Robles (road cycling) but, had lunch in Morro Bay with the Sea Otters! Beautiful place for sure and a lot of good riding up there. Do you have thoughts on the brakes vs hydraulic? Might be a change in the future?
Yup, our son graduated from Cal Poly SLO as a Mechanical Engineer in 2019. He works for a firm in Paso Robles & lives in Morro Bay...he absolutely loves it up there! Then again that is some colder water with plenty of guppies. Great area for Mountain biking, off roading and camping which is why they go up to Big Sur a lot.

The mechanical disc brakes are decent and I chose the Himiway over the Rad Rover due to the 180mm disc vs. 160mm but I would say hydraulic brakes are something to invest in. My buddy Gary converted his Rad Rover to hydraulic with a kit from Bolton Electric. Sent them an email two days ago to see if they have a kit for Himiway Cruiser bikes, no response yet.

Yup, our son graduated from Cal Poly SLO as a Mechanical Engineer in 2019. He works for a firm in Paso Robles & lives in Morro Bay...he absolutely loves it up there! Then again that is some colder water with plenty of guppies. Great area for Mountain biking, off roading and camping which is why they go up to Big Sur a lot.

The mechanical disc brakes are decent and I chose the Himiway over the Rad Rover due to the 180mm disc vs. 160mm but I would say hydraulic brakes are something to invest in. My buddy Gary converted his Rad Rover to hydraulic with a kit from Bolton Electric. Sent them an email two days ago to see if they have a kit for Himiway Cruiser bikes, no response yet.
Congrats to your son! Quite a few of our friend's kids did the same.. working in Ventura and San Diego. Our kids graduated a number of years ago but, stayed local (USD). Nice to get the college years done and on to the next phase(s).

Sounds like you may have the same bent towards tinkering with the bike. We'll have to keep trading information (only one way at the moment!). We're actually up in Alpine so, forest biking is a sure bet for us. I do a lot of road riding (many treks up the coast and inland through Elfin Forest) but, ordered the Himiway bikes specifically for a different fun on two wheels and plan to haul them on our RV trips. We rode the RadRover bikes last Monday in Newport (3hrs of driving to ride and hour) but, glad we did as it was a blast. Solidified our thoughts on the Himiway due to power and almost the same stances.

Michael

Hey guys let me jump in on your conversation, Wayne here, Hi Brett and Chip. All these bikes use pretty much the same fitment for the disc brakes. You may have to change the adapter that goes between the caliper and mounting point if you change the size of the rotor.

Changing to full Hydra brakes can be a bit of a pain because of the routing of the lines connecting the caliper and master cyl. Also you have to get a special switch to mount on the hand lever assembly to kill the motor when braking. Another option is using cable operated hydro calipers, there are several available on the market at various price points. I haven't ridden my Himiway that much yet because of weather here in SW Washington, but stock brakes seem to work fine if they are properly adjusted.

If I make a change I will increase the size of the front rotor to 203mm first see how that works, I will need an adapter to fit the larger rotor. If you can skid the rear wheel with current brakes there is not much reason to change it.

FYI Amazon has several kits to do both changes. Bolton E-Bikes rebrands a brand they have on Amazon can't reminder exactly which one it is right now, last I checked he was out of stock on his brakes setups.

Take care and enjoy.

BTW Brett, the rack fits fine and seems like it will work fine, but because of the crosstube design on the Himiway I'm having a problem figuring how to mount on the rack.

UPDATE 9-9-2021

I did some YouTube research on proper way to adjust the manual brakes on the Himiway, very easy process and made them work much better. As I rode the bike more I noticed the rear brake had a spongy feel compares to the front brake. I felt this was caused by the long cable run to the rear brake and the associated outer cable housing compression.

Doing some more research I found a company that sells on Amazon called JagWire that makes a PRO level cable set that features Kevlar reinforced cable housing and polished inner cables that nearly totally eliminate cable flex/stretch. I have installed this kit on the the rear brake of my Himiway it made a big improvement in the feel at the lever.

Here is current link to kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0WYVCU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At this point I don't feel the need to mod the brakes anymore. I can lock both the front and rear brakes so how much more braking power do you need.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That is good info Hoggdoc. Anyone know about replacing the seat post with a set back? Turns out the step-thru model will not be available (long story regarding their website) and we're going to end up with 2 cruisers. My wife is 5' 2" so, might be a crossbar challenge for her. We'll evaluate once we get our hands on them. Can't wait until sometime in May for the step-thru as we'll be leaving for trip and want to take them with us at the end of April.

Back