Hello From Virginia Beach

ebike-mike

Local time
6:01 PM
Although I am not new to electric Bikes, I am new to this forum. And I am woefully inept at working with ebikes and their associated hardware. Anyway, I am having a problem with a hub motor I bought a few years back. I never had a decent battery for it, so it sat in my garage for a number of years. Well I finally sprung for a new battery, hooked it up, and low and behold, the motor did not respond. However, I noticed that when I bumped the thumb throttle that the motor would engage for a brief second and then nothing. I concluded that it was the throttle so I bought a new one that looked identical to the one I had, however, when I received it, the wiring was totally different from the one I already owned, and not knowing heads or tails about how to wire an ebike throttle, I packaged it up and returned it to the vendor, and ordered a complete new controller with the associated throttle. After some cautious internet research and careful connections, I finally got everything hooked up, then came my moment of NON-Glory. I fired everything up, and all the lights went on as expected and the motor acted as if it was gonna pull, however, all I got was the sound of the motor in the hub drive, but no corresponding turning of the hub. I've searched high and low for the solution, but I can't find one. However, I noticed that my motor has three wires coming out of it, but my controller only has two wires to connect to the hub motor. I'm thinking that that might be the problem. Also there is another wire harness coming out of the motor, and I have no clue what its for. Can anyone out there in Ebike Land guide me in the right direction? Do I have the right controller? The old controller has no markings on it of any kind, so I don't know how to replace it, or the associated throttle. If anyone can help, thanks in advance. Much appreciated

Something is not right, with your description I would advise just buy a new motor already laced in the correct size wheel, the two wires generally power the controller which powers the wheel, there should be more wires coming out of the wheel unless it is some obselete design( is it even an Ebike motor?) pictures would help

@ebike-mike Is yours similar to this?

21e4d6e979.jpg

Yes, this was an EBike motor. A 48 volt, 1000 watt. mounted in a 26" rear drive configuration. The research I've done says there is something called Hall Sensors, and if they are not connected and configured correctly that the controller does not send a signal to engage the drive mechanism. You may be right. It may just be that I have to get a whole new motor and controller combo already configured to work together. I bought this setup several years ago before the recent EBike explosion, and batteries back then were in the neighborhood of $800 - $1200 dollars. And I thought, at the time, it might be better if I just bought myself a good used motorcycle. Which is what I did. With most of this eBike stuff coming from China, its hard to find a controller to match your setup. Next time I will buy a name brand. But thanks for you help.

Is that a "KT" CONTROLLER?
Yes, this was an EBike motor. A 48 volt, 1000 watt. mounted in a 26" rear drive configuration. The research I've done says there is something called Hall Sensors, and if they are not connected and configured correctly that the controller does not send a signal to engage the drive mechanism. You may be right. It may just be that I have to get a whole new motor and controller combo already configured to work together. I bought this setup several years ago before the recent EBike explosion, and batteries back then were in the neighborhood of $800 - $1200 dollars. And I thought, at the time, it might be better if I just bought myself a good used motorcycle. Which is what I did. With most of this eBike stuff coming from China, its hard to find a controller to match your setup. Next time I will buy a name brand. But thanks for you help.
Just buy the complete kit, it will have everything necessary to convert a bicycle to a ebike. Ebikeling sells some nice kits as does Eunorau.

Back