Hello from Northern California

SFKLR

Local time
12:27 PM
Hey Frens, just found the ebikes forum. My wife and I have Rads (Wagon 4 and Expand), we just started riding and are now considering mods. I'd like more power on the Wagon 4. Don't care about top speed, but she's weak off the line and uphill even w/o being loaded. I've seen YouTube videos for a plug n play controller swap, but it's still not quite plug n play--and the videos are all over a year or 2 years old now. Don't even know if they still exist, or if they have been improved or gone away. Any tips appreciated.

I would like to see pedals eventually become optional so that we can get even the most reluctant non-bike people out of cars, off their sofas and into the bike lane. But that doesn't mean I'm talking about fast mopeds or motorcycles. I'm still talking about sub-20mph Class 2 ebike speeds, but just omitting the pedals that people like me don't want and won't use, replacing them with comfortable footpegs and floorboards. Big believer in accessibility, mobility, trikes, and most of all throttles, which finally make bikes as effortless as attractive as every other mode of transportation one might take.

Cheers

Hey Frens, just found the ebikes forum. My wife and I have Rads (Wagon 4 and Expand), we just started riding and are now considering mods. I'd like more power on the Wagon 4. Don't care about top speed, but she's weak off the line and uphill even w/o being loaded. I've seen YouTube videos for a plug n play controller swap, but it's still not quite plug n play--and the videos are all over a year or 2 years old now. Don't even know if they still exist, or if they have been improved or gone away. Any tips appreciated.

I would like to see pedals eventually become optional so that we can get even the most reluctant non-bike people out of cars, off their sofas and into the bike lane. But that doesn't mean I'm talking about fast mopeds or motorcycles. I'm still talking about sub-20mph Class 2 ebike speeds, but just omitting the pedals that people like me don't want and won't use, replacing them with comfortable footpegs and floorboards. Big believer in accessibility, mobility, trikes, and most of all throttles, which finally make bikes as effortless as attractive as every other mode of transportation one might take.

Cheers
As far as increasing the power of your Rad, I would suggest contacting Area 13 E bikes in Apple Valley, CA. In the past they have made a kit with a new controller that really boosted the power for the RAD bikes, I'm not sure if it would work on your model.

One thing to keep in mind about going pedal-less is that then it is not be legally considered an eBike, and you wouldn't be able to ride in the bike lanes/trails.

Better to just leave them and let your potential riders know they're optional. (many people find they would rather pedal lightly than not pedal at all; at least it's SOME exercise!)

Which part of Northern California are you in? I'm fairly certain we'd (I'm from San Francisco) lose the "bike functionality" and be considered a motorcycle. Plus, it's kind of nice to be pedaling rather than stationary feet.

Back