Hello from Fredonia AZ.

Journeyman22

Local time
8:34 AM
I found this bicycle for free. It seems to be in decent shape. I was wondering if this would/could be a candidate for an E-Bike conversion? I have loved riding bicycles all my life/all types of motorcycles too.
Thank you for letting me join in on the fun.
20210409_134601.jpg

Welcome to the forum! It appears to be a Walmart bike as you can see here:

As long as it rides well and the brakes are good enough I don't see any problems electrifying it.

Personally I would go with a front hub kit as it's quick and easy to install. Look for a 24" front hub kit with a 250 Watts motor (unless you live in a very hilly area then a 500 Watt motor is recommended). You also need to select a battery with enough amp hours (Ah) to suit the distance you want to travel.

This will give you a good idea what ebiking is all about. If you end up liking it you can then upgrade to something more powerful in the future!

Thank You Sir, I cleaned it up some and oiled everything, put air in the tires and they are good to go.. the only thing i should add more attention to are the derailers. I may try looking for a little bigger bike for me. this one is pretty cool though,

I guess the only thing is the 24" wheel size, it's a little smaller than the more popular 26" wheel size. All it means is it will be a little harder to swap the kit over if you upgrade to a bigger bike in the future with a different wheel size. There is always the option of getting the motor laced into the new rim size, but it might not be worth the cost. You can always sell the 24" bike complete with the ebike kit and then get a bigger bike with a new ebike kit. That's another option.

The main issue I see is where could you mount the battery pack? There doesn't seem to be room in the frames "V". Another issue are the brakes may not be up to stopping a powered bike.

The main issue I see is where could you mount the battery pack? There doesn't seem to be room in the frames "V". Another issue are the brakes may not be up to stopping a powered bike.
Good point @Hoggdoc, looks like he has to mount the battery on the top tube rather than the down tube on this frame.

I would buy a new fully built ebike before trying to build one. You need to get experience with riding and maintaining ebikes. There are a lot of decisions to make when building a good ebike.

I would buy a new fully built ebike before trying to build one. You need to get experience with riding and maintaining ebikes. There are a lot of decisions to make when building a good ebike.
I would pretty much completely disagree with this statement. There are literally 3 decisions when making an ebike. The bicycle itself, what motor/controller to get, and what battery to get. Maintenance is absolutely nothing more than a pedal powered bicycle except for charging the battery.

Back