Heavy Duty Rack Rated for 500 lbs

ozzie21

Local time
4:09 AM
I posted this on FB & it got some good feedback so I figured I’d post it here also.

For those of you who don’t want to or can’t pay $500-$1,000 for a rack here’s the solution. This rack is available at Harbor Freight in the USA for $90-$100 USD and in Canada at Princess Auto for $120 CAD. It’s listed as a motorcycle carrier and is rated for 500 lbs. I made a bracket with a rubber wall mount clamp and a couple of sections of 1-1/2” square tubing. I use a couple of extra tie-down straps as added insurance but they’re not really necessary. Using the bracket by itself would be fine. It takes maximum 5 minutes to load or unload the bike unless you want to get anal about strapping it down. Then it might take 10 minutes. This is absolutely the most secure rock-solid rack you can find for transporting your Himiway or any eBike. Thule, 1-UP, Hollywood etc. can’t compare. As I said, this is rated for 500 lbs and most racks you find are rated only for 60-80 lbs per bike maximum.

Attachments

• 20220724_190436_resized.jpg
    20220724_190436_resized.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 290
  • 20220724_193814_resized.jpg
    20220724_193814_resized.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 294
  • Princess Auto Bike Rack 2.jpg
    Princess Auto Bike Rack 2.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 278
Haven't purchased the bike, yet. Will get two 73 lb behemoths and am frustrated about finding a rack. Your information is very useful. Need to be sure the rack will not fail!
Thanks.

I posted this on FB & it got some good feedback so I figured I’d post it here also.

For those of you who don’t want to or can’t pay $500-$1,000 for a rack here’s the solution. This rack is available at Harbor Freight in the USA for $90-$100 USD and in Canada at Princess Auto for $120 CAD. It’s listed as a motorcycle carrier and is rated for 500 lbs. I made a bracket with a rubber wall mount clamp and a couple of sections of 1-1/2” square tubing. I use a couple of extra tie-down straps as added insurance but they’re not really necessary. Using the bracket by itself would be fine. It takes maximum 5 minutes to load or unload the bike unless you want to get anal about strapping it down. Then it might take 10 minutes. This is absolutely the most secure rock-solid rack you can find for transporting your Himiway or any eBike. Thule, 1-UP, Hollywood etc. can’t compare. As I said, this is rated for 500 lbs and most racks you find are rated only for 60-80 lbs per bike maximum.
Yes I did same thing but found this one after looking at Harbor frights. Got it at a shop online $160. Heavy but my e bike weighs 83 lbs. Works great and 2 other RV'S bought it now.

Good for 500lbs. Fits in 2" receiver and it's steel and weighs around 60lbs. Couldn't find this in aluminum.

Attachments

• 20221011_094018.jpg
    20221011_094018.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 20221011_093944.jpg
    20221011_093944.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 20221008_153829.jpg
    20221008_153829.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 20221008_153750.jpg
    20221008_153750.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 20221008_130653.jpg
    20221008_130653.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 164
  • 20221010_185811.jpg
    20221010_185811.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 217
Basic construction seems to be exactly like the one I got from Princess Auto in Canada except I made my own upright bracket from 2" square tubing and this one has an upright bar included. I'd guess this one and mine might have been from the same manufacturer. I have a ramp also but I don't use it. Mine can still be bought at Princess Auto and it still goes for under $90 USD but lately at Harbor Freight they haven't had the steel one for sale for a few months. But they've got another very similar rated for 400 lbs instead of 500 lbs, which is fine anyway cuz even an heavy ebike loaded with accessories and battery in place is probably not going to be over 90 lbs. These racks are super sturdy and good value for the money.

Always interesting how people complain about the loss of jobs to China but then trundle off to Harbor Freight or Wal-Mart.

Always interesting how people complain about the loss of jobs to China but then trundle off to Harbor Freight or Wal-Mart.
You're 100% right, and I hate it, and like everyone else I still do it. I wish Nixon and Clinton had never opened up relations with China. And the PM of Canada, Justine Turdhole is a phoney woke commie flunkey of George Soros and the WEF. But I can't just blame them completely cuz I guess I'm also contributing to the problem. I really don't mind paying more for something made anywhere else other than China. I'd prefer North America, Europe, even India or even places like Bangladesh, any place but China. But if I can get a decent rack for $90 versus a rack from 1-Up, Thule etc., for $800-$1000, I'm gonna get the $90 rack. And likely most the high dollar racks are fabricated in China and at best assembled in the EU and North America anyway. The bigger picture is that it's a conundrum the big corporations and politicians started and we're all part of now. Now with China having and gaining more control over rare earth minerals and electronic components while we're so distracted with trans and gay issues crap, the phoney climate change BS and blaming everyone and everything for being racist, meanwhile we've taken our eyes off the ball.
Anyway I'm done venting now and this is supposed to be about the enjoyment of ebiking. Our ebikes, of which 99% of every one that we all own and enjoy probably including even yours, was made in China and at best assembled domestically.

Boy your said it all. I agree with you 100% are leadership and big businesses set this up years ago and I hope are goverment gets it soon. Big business just like the money till china ends up takening them.

You're 100% right, and I hate it, and like everyone else I still do it. I wish Nixon and Clinton had never opened up relations with China. And the PM of Canada, Justine Turdhole is a phoney woke commie flunkey of George Soros and the WEF. But I can't just blame them completely cuz I guess I'm also contributing to the problem. I really don't mind paying more for something made anywhere else other than China. I'd prefer North America, Europe, even India or even places like Bangladesh, any place but China. But if I can get a decent rack for $90 versus a rack from 1-Up, Thule etc., for $800-$1000, I'm gonna get the $90 rack. And likely most the high dollar racks are fabricated in China and at best assembled in the EU and North America anyway. The bigger picture is that it's a conundrum the big corporations and politicians started and we're all part of now. Now with China having and gaining more control over rare earth minerals and electronic components while we're so distracted with trans and gay issues crap, the phoney climate change BS and blaming everyone and everything for being racist, meanwhile we've taken our eyes off the ball.
Anyway I'm done venting now and this is supposed to be about the enjoyment of ebiking. Our ebikes, of which 99% of every one that we all own and enjoy probably including even yours, was made in China and at best assembled domestically.
yeah, your misinformation is best left out.

I bought USA. 1up super duty for 4 e-bikes plus long ramp and every lock they make for it. Yeah, expensive, Almost $1800 with the taxes. But it will never wear out. No worries going anywhere including off road. It will probably outlive me, so I’ll will it to one of my kids. I’m not wealthy, just practical. I do spend $ on a quality item vs. borderline stuff. But I’m one of the cheapest bastards you will ever meet.

I would advise against buying the 1up ramp which I found left a lot to be desired. It attaches where the license plate adapter goes so you can have one or the other on the rack. It is also too short to use with a heavy bike. I had two 70lb e-bikes and needed to buy a motorcycle ramp to have the length and width I needed for these e-bikes with their 4" tires. The motorcycle ramp had a hinge and would fold to be half as long to go inside my car when traveling with the bikes.

Always interesting how people moan about nothing being made in the USA anymore and the loss of manufacturing jobs but then go to Harbor Freight or Wal-Mart to save a few dollars. I try to keep my dollars in the local community and failing that, in the USA with companies like 1up or at least in Canada with Swagman.

I would advise against buying the 1up ramp which I found left a lot to be desired. It attaches where the license plate adapter goes so you can have one or the other on the rack. It is also too short to use with a heavy bike. I had two 70lb e-bikes and needed to buy a motorcycle ramp to have the length and width I needed for these e-bikes with their 4" tires. The motorcycle ramp had a hinge and would fold to be half as long to go inside my car when traveling with the bikes.
I got the extra long ramp. It had a short section that folds up and is pinned in place. Works great. My bike is 100 pounds, wife’s is 75 pounds. Longer ramp has less of incline and easier to use. I’m going to make my own tag holder. I don’t like the 1up design. I move the rack between my truck and van so im going to make something easy to switch. Maybe magnetic.

V Style Ramp - Long

LOL when i first read the title of this post I thought someone was looking for a rack to go on their bike that could hold 500 lbs lol which made he wonder what sort of tires or frame they had on their bike that would not be crushed with that much weigh on the back.

Back