Hailong slim controller max speed ?

Fr0st

Local time
8:33 AM
Hello all ,

I need my ebike to go faster than 20 mph / 32 km/h ..

The bike a s830 screen and a hailong 16 amp controller with a 10.4 ah 48 volts battery.. all is good except for the speed..

The s830 screen would not permit to modify the p08 parameter which was stuck on 20 mph / 32 km/h.. so i bought one off amazon and it was fully unlocked( supposedly?).. i thought i had the problem solved.. it got a nit better and could reach almost 38 km/h .. . I tinkered other settings and with the max amps at they were pretty low..still not faster.. chsnged wheel diameter and number of magnets on hub motor and all i got was the speedo reading wrong .. the wheel alyways goes to 40 km/h ( wheel up in the air) and not faster . I would assume the hailong controller has a internal setting and some way to know the rpm of the wheel like a pick up coil or something in the likes

Is there a way remove the speed limit in a hailong controller ? Is there a cable and software to talk to it ? I can see it would go alot faster than 38-40 km/ h but the amps get lower as i get to those speeds.. the closer i get the lower the amps settle down..even at full throttle..

Any solution out there ?

Thanks in advance !

Few controllers outside of manufactured ebikes in Europe, have any built-in speed limiter. ALL motors, however, have a set, designed max speed which is determined by stator windings, combined with voltage. Your wheel in the air test shows max speed, UNLOADED.

Most motors come in at least two, and sometimes more, configurations, usually Standard and Fast, or Large or Small wheel, or Speed and Torque.
Sometimes this is given in RPM, such as 210, 260, and 328. Those are three versions, of the same motor. the 210 is slow but climbs hills better. The 328 is fast but does not climb hills very well. Sounds like you got a 210 when you wanted a 328.

IF you are at max amps setting limit when reaching max speed, then increasing the amps can help. However, if you are NOT at max amps when reaching max speed, and testing UNLOADED, then the only way to get more speed is to increase the voltage. Virtually ALL motors will spin faster when given higher volts.

Note - given battery costs, it may be cheaper to just get the faster motor, if available.

Thanks for the reply. It's very enligntening.

With the wheel up, i can reach 41 km/h hour.. roughly 25 mph.. so i guess i'll look for a faster spining wheel.. how do i shop for this ?. Ask for top speed or max wheel rpm ? I got 27.5 wheels.

Cheers,

Sometimes they will publish numbers, sometimes not. I notice a lot of ads i check do not mention different versions, or reference speed at all.

If you specify a motor which will be installed in, but ordered without, a small wheel, you will almost certainly get a hi-speed wind motor.

If you specify a motor for a large wheel, you will usually get the low speed motor.

Best to order motor bare, then get good quality rims and spokes and either build wheel yourself, or have bike shop do it. Savings on shipping from smaller box from China just about equal cost of rim, spokes, and assembly, and you get a MUCH better wheel. Not too hard to do yourself, just a bit tedious. No special skill needed, just patience.

Back