GT Karakoram conversion

dastro

Local time
10:29 AM
I have a 30 year old GT Karakoram that I use mostly for paved path and dirt trails. Due to some health issues I'd like to do an econversion. I'm looking for a quality rear hub system with good pedal assist for hills and a decent battery life for 1-2 hr rides. I weigh 230 lbs and definitely want it to have enough power. I love my bike and don't want to switch and am looking for input on what the best rear hub motors, batteries, controllers , and displays are these days. Also, for my type of riding should I be looking at direct or geared drive? So far my research tells me a 48 or 52V, 1000 watt system would be good but lots of roads lead to Amazon, which I don't want to buy from.

Hi there and welcome, a picture of your bike might help get some kit suggestions. Here's a 1991 GT Karakoram, does it look like this?
1991-GT-Karakoram-Elite.jpg

OK cool, my main concern would be the brakes with this bike. Rim brakes just don't have enough braking power in my opinion. A 1000Watt kit is very powerful, I would recommend a bike with disc brakes for that type of power. Otherwise go for a smaller kit with lower wattage.

Those v brakes up front will be plenty of stopping power. How mechanically inclined are you? From my experience these Chinese kits are a little rough around the edges and need some love before just riding off into the sunset. I went with gearless brushless hub motors. Plenty of torque and really quiet plus no moving parts to wear out at all except bearings. I don't even know why they make geared hubs.

I have a 30 year old GT Karakoram that I use mostly for paved path and dirt trails. Due to some health issues I'd like to do an econversion. I'm looking for a quality rear hub system with good pedal assist for hills and a decent battery life for 1-2 hr rides. I weigh 230 lbs and definitely want it to have enough power. I love my bike and don't want to switch and am looking for input on what the best rear hub motors, batteries, controllers , and displays are these days. Also, for my type of riding should I be looking at direct or geared drive? So far my research tells me a 48 or 52V, 1000 watt system would be good but lots of roads lead to Amazon, which I don't want to buy from.
Dont totally rule out front hub conversion kits, they are much easier. You may have to change the front rim including the motor preinstalled in the kit. Then, all you need is the battery in the kit. Done and fun.

Back