Got pics of your ebike?

Trek FX, BBS02. I like it. Going to clean up the wiring this winter. I had added extra Riv-nuts for the battery mount to distribute the load better. Kept the front derailleur to act as a chain guide, but hadn’t noticed that I really need it. Got a set of panniers for Christmas that I need to install. Still wondering about soft mounting the battery or just putting the setup on my MTB. I ride roads more than trails though.

Attachments

• BAE28E50-981E-401F-93CA-CCEAF2CB233E.jpeg
    BAE28E50-981E-401F-93CA-CCEAF2CB233E.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 119
A couple wide velcro straps on yur battery will be of good support....
Man those rivnuts on some bikes rteally suck to get tightened lol

Good to see ya again @MWRider :)

Thanks for the reply. I did a rivnut test run on a similar piece of metal prior to putting them on the bike to get the fit right. The aluminum bottom tube wall thickness on this bike is only about 1 mm. My main concern about the battery mount bracket is the vibrations’ impact, since this bike has no suspension and some of the roads In WI are not the best.

Here's another one. With a 35T front ring and a 42T big cog in the back, it can climb the steepest hills with a cargo load. And those panniers hold 138L ... each. Folded up as they are, if you use the pouch thats formed from the fold they still hold more than any pannier.
PXL_20220827_235403067.NIGHT (1).jpg

And yes that is a BIG longboard deck bolted on to give me an upper deck and storage underneath. In the above pic you can see the onboard, weatherproof charger in front. Behind that is the pump and toolkit...

... and having had to wait around for awhile during one too many pandemic curbside pickups, I keep a folding chair under there as well.

PXL_20220826_184619227.jpg

Here's another one. With a 35T front ring and a 42T big cog in the back, it can climb the steepest hills with a cargo load. And those panniers hold 138L ... each. Folded up as they are, if you use the pouch thats formed from the fold they still hold more than any pannier.
View attachment 7239
And yes that is a BIG longboard deck bolted on to give me an upper deck and storage underneath. In the above pic you can see the onboard, weatherproof charger in front. Behind that is the pump and toolkit...

... and having had to wait around for awhile during one too many pandemic curbside pickups, I keep a folding chair under there as well.

View attachment 7240
So, you can climb a 35 degree incline on throttle only with 100 pounds of water bottles. More? Less?

My Pedego Trail Tracker 750w

Attachments

• 13A32D18-8B80-451E-B932-0B2A84571F7C.jpeg
    13A32D18-8B80-451E-B932-0B2A84571F7C.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 585EC74F-7A5B-45C0-AA33-C34AC27D6093.jpeg
    585EC74F-7A5B-45C0-AA33-C34AC27D6093.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 77
So, you can climb a 35 degree incline on throttle only with 100 pounds of water bottles. More? Less?
Well, I don't do throttle only, I pedal, although I do use throttle to get up from a standing start when loaded, which is common for cargo riders. Also of course a 35 degree angle is a 70% grade and you won't find any roads like that, anywhere. What the gearing does is allow me to climb grades in the Monterey Bay area which are considered impossible on a bicycle by locals who ride there.

Also throttle on a loaded cargo bike going up a steep grade is a recipe for a snapped chain. You want to ramp up the power to the least amount needed and throttle is tough to do that with, although there is a setting in the Bafang parameters that does give a significant added level of granularity that helps a lot for situations like this.

I have however carried 125 lbs of soda cans, which surprisingly is only two 36-paks of soda on each side for a total of four. I didn't understand how heavy these soda paks are until I did the ride and went thru that experience (which was a lesson to remember). Ballparking it, 125 lbs of soda plus a 240 lb rider plus lets say 80 lbs of bike, counting motor, battery, onboard charger and tools... Thats 445 lbs total system weight right there. Add the 15 lb worth of two U locks and a 2-meter boron steel noose chain and we've hit 460 lbs on a bike rated for 400. My record, incidentally, was about 560 lbs. At 400+ you are talking a safe max speed of around 8 mph because a pannier load that heavy is so tippy, and once it goes over you had better let it cuz the frame will twist otherwise. Note also a load that heavy on the sides is only possible because of the wideloaders I built into the frame, and how I made them.

Here's a pic taken just before I loaded the cart. I'm not counting the weight of the Goldfish boxes :D
IMG_20200801_112028.jpg

I showed a frame in Post #36 and its done now. The Surly in the post above and earlier is now retired (and going up for sale relatively cheap asap) and this replaces it. The 'tippy' issue I noted above for the Surly is inherent to any bike that carries its load to the sides, and becomes a serious issue when you graduate up to the big leagues in terms of weight. A frontloader on the other hand is perfectly stable - as if it is unloaded - at 100+ lbs of cargo since that cargo is low and centered. You only know you are loaded when you hit the brakes and the laws of physics remind you they have not been repealed.

I put over 100 miles on it last week, its first on the road. Costco is 13 miles away so two round trips just to there accounted for over half the total.

40T front chainring, 12-50T rear pie plate. Box 2 derailleur matched to the big cluster. A front motor to work together and take the strain/wear off the drivetrain just like the green one.

20230208_174433.jpg
20230210_123027.jpg

I was buying bins here, but the top one is also full of other stuff.
20230212_170744.jpg

I have not yet found the limits of how steep of a grade this bike can take with a cargo load. But with AWD it can take a respectable hill 4 cogs down from max and do it at about 14 mph. Thats more strain than I should impart and I am trying to be more cognizant of what gear I am in to keep the motor rpms up so everything stays healthy.

326999357_473021751520350_4694791051041404723_n.jpg

My apologies if this has been done before, but after browsing for a while I couldn't find a simple "post pictures of your ebike" thread, so I thought I'd try to start one.

Here's my baby.
It's a Lectric 1.0
Covered in marble wallpaper and electrical tape.
It has just about 2800 miles on it.
I'm still in love with it after being its owner for nearly 2 years.

View attachment 6246View attachment 6247
Nice bike and background.

It could use a few zip ties to tidy up the cables a bit.

This is on top of what was a landfill (AKA Mt. Trashmore). Always a lot of hawks and eagles hunting there. View attachment 6458View attachment 6459View attachment 6460I'm not quite stable enough for the mtn bike course, but it's a goal. I've done the part through the woods, but very slowly(which I know is part of the problem) and bypassed the jumps...
Thinking about maybe adding an Ariel X-Class next year.

How do you like yours?

Here’s my new Aventon Level.2 the other day when I went downtown to take pix by the lake with my new mirror telephoto lens. It’s resting on the backpack on the rack; that was a risky place to put it, in hindsight.

Camera bag is hanging from the nose of the seat. It’s the Brooks B67, which I’ll be removing soon. (It’s unsuited for the forward lean this bike has)

Attachments

• 00474B7A-13CE-441E-810A-6E30377E2E0E.jpeg
    00474B7A-13CE-441E-810A-6E30377E2E0E.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 91
Back