Google Maps got more bike friendly

Snoop

Local time
9:26 AM
I just tried this on my iPhone. Look up directions between two points, and it will give you the traditional routes we‘re used to seeing. Then click on the bicycle icon, and you’ll get bike friendly options, including paths if available.

CYCLISTS MIGHT BE the only beings on the planet who still ask others for directions. That’s because there’s a bunch of necessary bike-specific knowledge you can get only from other cyclists. How steep is that hill? What are the bike lanes like on this route? An app usually can’t tell you those things.

Now, Google is adding some new features to Maps that will tell you those things. The improved view for cyclists includes more data about bike routes (when available) that shows where the bike lanes are, how busy vehicle traffic is, and whether your chosen route includes a steep hill. It can also warn you about stairs along the route, or tell you that you have some gravel sections to look forward to. Maps will also provide turn-by-turn directions made just for bikes.

Just learned that when I commute to work, I‘ve got a rise of elevation of 82 feet over 6 miles. Funny….it’s so gradual I never knew it. Guess it explains the slightly faster ride home. :D

Show pictures. Talk all day no pictures is boring to me
Your bikeride pictures.

Me riding to work
|
|
V

A2C2A32A-A771-4A51-92CB-4A77DE893D77.jpeg

;)

I tried to convince Waze that their whole "warning system" idea would be awesome for cycling. They UTTERLY blew me off on the topic.

Show pictures. Talk all day no pictures is boring to me
Your bikeride pictures.

Okay B100, here’s some pics of my commute for real. You asked for it. ;-)

I feel really fortunate to have great paths which take me from pretty much my front door to my office where I work.

Here are pics I grabbed on the way back home today.

Once I leave my office, which is in a small village, I bike on a couple neighborhood roads for about 1/2 mile which takes me to a bike path.

This is probably my favorite part of my commute, as it is a tranquil ride through the woods for about 2 miles. Another bonus is that it was freshly resurfaced a few weeks ago. :)

6A92E3A9-E3F8-4744-B919-2B5E63BDD564.jpeg

F006AC21-3D54-4CD8-8C38-E770B1A7E518.jpeg

1F4A5F9E-42A6-4399-8F8E-4AF937203180.jpeg

Once I leave the woods, I ride by a nice park with Little League diamonds.

432AAE71-D479-4D34-9460-9347348A8208.jpeg

7BF7E1BC-5481-4B66-8EE5-9747F3676921.jpeg

This segues into another path which rides along a riverside road for about a mile.

BA7FDFB9-1DA6-485F-9D0C-210153D2A5A8.jpeg

Eventually I pass this weeping willow, which used to whack against my bike helmet until park personnel finally trimmed it a few weeks ago. :)

8AE2EEC4-F74D-4354-A7E5-6385FF1F3A55.jpeg

Finally, I ride a path along a river for the rest of the way home.

263BD825-5791-4D11-B8F2-575FA1191947.jpeg

66E0A5F6-A213-4392-830A-5319FF600818.jpeg

3EB84FA1-FD48-4EF4-A989-2BE3F0B2ECDE.jpeg

Going back to work is pretty much the opposite. All in all, it’s about a 6 mile journey and takes me a comfortable 25 minutes.

I feel really fortunate to have great paths which take me from pretty much my front door to my office where I work.

Once I leave my office, which is in a small village, I bike on a couple neighborhood roads for about 1/2 mile which takes me to a bike path.

This is probably my favorite part of my commute, as it is a tranquil ride through the woods for about 2 miles. Another bonus is that it was freshly resurfaced a few weeks ago. :)

View attachment 4959

View attachment 4960
View attachment 4961

View attachment 4964

View attachment 4962

This segues into another path which rides along a riverside road for about a mile.

View attachment 4963

Eventually I pass this weeping willow, which used to whack against my bike helmet until park personnel finally trimmed it a few weeks ago. :)

View attachment 4965

View attachment 4966

View attachment 4967
View attachment 4968

Going back to work is pretty much the opposite. All in all, it’s about a 6 mile journey and takes me a comfortable 25 minutes.
Love the co-pilot! I have one too! Quack Quack

Took a 31 mile round trip this morning, and was feeling it a little at the end. Of course, I was trying to hustle back as I was trying to catch the Bills game on TV, LOL.

View attachment 4959

View attachment 4960
View attachment 4961

View attachment 4964

View attachment 4962

View attachment 4963

View attachment 4965

View attachment 4966

View attachment 4967
View attachment 4968

Beautiful! I am so jealous.

Back