Good ebike for a starter

Ben1337

Local time
3:10 AM
Hello my name is Ben, ive been trying to research some good starter ebikes or eScooters. I have looked online and on YouTube but a lot of sites just look sketchy and YouTube is full of “review” channels that post the same video. I have 4 main criteria the ebike has the fill

1. Speed : anything honestly above 25 mph is good

2. Reliable : something that can last for 40miles maybe less

3. Price : im fine with paying any price just my limit is about 5k

4. Company : the company has to have decent support and the bike has to be fixable

Thanks for your time if anyone also has a custom build that think would be good for me please post away.

Hello my name is Ben, ive been trying to research some good starter ebikes or eScooters. I have looked online and on YouTube but a lot of sites just look sketchy and YouTube is full of “review” channels that post the same video. I have 4 main criteria the ebike has the fill

1. Speed : anything honestly above 25 mph is good

2. Reliable : something that can last for 40miles maybe less

3. Price : im fine with paying any price just my limit is about 5k

4. the company has to have decent support and the bike has to be fixable

Thanks for your time if anyone also has a custom build that think would be good for me please post away.
Hi Ben, 1st of all an eBike and an eScooter are two very different things. I suggest you try to decide which of these you really want.

Also your speed and range requirements are very limiting. Do you expect to ride at 25 mph + for 40 miles? Those are very different from them being the maximum in those categories. Customer support in this market is typically not very good so be prepared to solve your own issues for the most part.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the bike has to be flexible"?

I think your best bet is to find someone to build you a custom bike by converting a suitable bike you might what to check with JohnnyNerdOut on Youtube. He is located in SW Washington State and does custom builds. Here is his website: https://www.johnnynerdout.com/

an eBike and an eScooter are two very different things. I suggest you try to decide which of these you really want.

How much do you want to pedal? If it's minimal, then you definitely want a throttle. Maybe what you really want is an electric motorcycle.

Hi Ben, 1st of all an eBike and an eScooter are two very different things. I suggest you try to decide which of these you really want.

Also your speed and range requirements are very limiting. Do you expect to ride at 25 mph + for 40 miles? Those are very different from them being the maximum in those categories. Customer support in this market is typically not very good so be prepared to solve your own issues for the most part.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the bike has to be flexible"?

I think your best bet is to find someone to build you a custom bike by converting a suitable bike you might what to check with JohnnyNerdOut on Youtube. He is located in SW Washington State and does custom builds. Here is his website: https://www.johnnynerdout.com/
Sorry I meant to say repairable instead of fixable I forgot the word

And I’m not really looking for a peddle assisted ebike just somthing to cruise on, sorry my wording isn’t good but I wanted a ebike with 40 miles of range so I don’t have to charge often just in case I forget and is 25 mph too slow? Im not sure

How much do you want to pedal? If it's minimal, then you definitely want a throttle. Maybe what you really want is an electric motorcycle.
I don’t really want to peddle, sorry if my wording is off. what i want is just an ebike that can go over 25mph with some range I’m not sure what that would be called

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum!

I can only speak from my own experiences and riding preference, but as a guy who mainly uses his bike for casual community rides and for commuting to work, I rarely go over 17-18 MPH. For me, that feels quite fast, and if you’re on trails with other bikers/walkers, you’ll want to go even slower.

The first thing I did to my Aventon Pace 500 when I got it was to set it up as a Class 2 instead of a Class 3.

25 MPH is really pretty fast on a bike, IMO, and I don’t think I would want to do that. Folks who commute in city traffic might think otherwise.

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum!

I can only speak from my own experiences and riding preference, but as a guy who mainly uses his bike for casual community rides and for commuting to work, I rarely go over 17-18 MPH. For me, that feels quite fast, and if you’re on trails with other bikers/walkers, you’ll want to go even slower.

The first thing I did to my Aventon Pace 500 when I got it was to set it up as a Class 2 instead of a Class 3.

25 MPH is really pretty fast on a bike, IMO, and I don’t think I would want to do that. Folks who commute in city traffic might think otherwise.
thanks! I guess I’ve been conditioned to think that all that would matter in an ev is speed because of the yt videos I’ve watched, but I live in a rural-ish area and I would like to go faster I think I’ve went 30mph on my friends other friends bike and I loved it and im looking for the same experience or better im just not knowledgeable enough to find a pre built e bike or a kit.

thanks! I guess I’ve been conditioned to think that all that would matter in an ev is speed because of the yt videos I’ve watched, but I live in a rural-ish area and I would like to go faster I think I’ve went 30mph on my friends other friends bike and I loved it and im looking for the same experience or better im just not knowledgeable enough to find a pre built e bike or a kit.
Cool! Just get a good helmet! :D

If you want to go that fast, you’ll want a Class 3 (they give power assist up to 28 MPH). You’ll want to check the legality in your area for sure. In NYS, for instance, Class 3’s are illegal outside of NYC (makes no sense, I know).

Cool! Just get a good helmet! :D

If you want to go that fast, you’ll want a Class 3 (they give power assist up to 28 MPH). You’ll want to check the legality in your area for sure. In NYS, for instance, Class 3’s are illegal outside of NYC (makes no sense, I know).
Thanks I definitely will get a good helmet crashing at 28mph is not fun and I will also look at the laws in my state Al

I commute in NYC, among heavy traffic,
I rarely travel more than 20 mph in traffic.
25 mph can be really dangerous,
even though I have decades of motorcycling experience in NYC traffic.
Have much bicycling have you done in traffic?
It's one thing to say that I want to ride at 28 mph without much pedaling.
But once in traffic 28 mph can get you into very serious trouble, if you are not used to it.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of ebike delivery folks in NYC.
They ride 24/7, in all weather, have to have a reliable ebike since how much money they make depends on their ebikes.
I'd say over 90% of their ebikes are simple, cheap, reliable Chinese made ebikes that have 26" wheels, 750-1000w hub-motor and large battery capacity, cost less than $2500, like one pictured below.
Sometimes, they would carry a spare battery to give them extra range to make more money.
They may not look sexy, but they are workhorses.
38vhi48.jpg

$5k dollar budget can get you all sort of ebikes.

Depending on how much you weight and how much cargo you plan to carry with you on the bike, the battery range can vary quite a bit.

I commute in NYC, among heavy traffic,
I rarely travel more than 20 mph in traffic.
25 mph can be really dangerous,
even though I have decades of motorcycling experience in NYC traffic.
Have much bicycling have you done in traffic?
It's one thing to say that I want to ride at 28 mph without much pedaling.
But once in traffic 28 mph can get you into very serious trouble, if you are not used to it.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of ebike delivery folks in NYC.
They ride 24/7, in all weather, have to have a reliable ebike since how much money they make depends on their ebikes.
I'd say over 90% of their ebikes are simple, cheap, reliable Chinese made ebikes that have 26" wheels, 750-1000w hub-motor and large battery capacity, cost less than $2500, like one pictured below.
Sometimes, they would carry a spare battery to give them extra range to make more money.
They may not look sexy, but they are workhorses.
38vhi48.jpg

$5k dollar budget can get you all sort of ebikes.

Depending on how much you weight and how much cargo you plan to carry with you on the bike, the battery range can vary quite a bit.
Thanks for the info I guess I should look for something more off-road then Since I’m not in the city And I live near some stone paths :D

Yeah, it would help to get better suggestions if more details were given for you needs & usage.
Even riding off-road at 25 mph can be very dangerous, too.
40 mile range for off-road with minimal pedaling may require some big battery; which makes the ebike heavier.
I've been riding dirt bikes for decades, these days I wear my neck brace in addition to helmet.
Where are you located?
What are the trails like in your typical off-road riding area?

Yeah, it would help to get better suggestions if more details were given for you needs & usage.
Even riding off-road at 25 mph can be very dangerous, too.
40 mile range for off-road with minimal pedaling may require some big battery; which makes the ebike heavier.
I've been riding dirt bikes for decades, these days I wear my neck brace in addition to helmet.
Where are you located?
What are the trails like in your typical off-road riding area?
I’m located in Alabama and I have some trails near me that have paved roads and some dirt paths I don’t have any pictures on my phone but yeah I think it’s probably better to get something with a bigger battery and more powerful motor somthing like the KTM electric dirtbike but i don’t really like the look of it as I’m looking for somthing more that resembles a bike than a dirt bike which I probably should just build myself it’s just confusing with all these part and some of these websites I see are super sketchy and look poorly designed. Anyways thanks this definitely narrowed my search down and I’m learning a lot already just because everyone here is answering my questions. thank you!

Thanks for the info I guess I should look for something more off-road then Since I’m not in the city And I live near some stone paths :D
I apologize in advance if I've misunderstood but it sounds as if you really want an e motorcycle or moped without any pedals at all. An ebike is a completely different vehicle imo and with a $5k budget you should have no problem getting something with the speed and range you're looking for

Back