giant prime peddle assist converted to revs?

ascott

Local time
4:40 PM
Hi i have a Giant Prime and wondering if its possible to convert the peddle assist to revs and if so what do i need.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220706.jpg
    Screenshot_20220706.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 121
Do you have a torque sensor now, or what exactly do you mean?

"Pedal assist" can mean a torque sensor, or a PAS sensor based on peddle revolutions, or "revs". You want a throttle.

If your controller has a connection for a throttle, then, yes, you can. If not, then you need a new controller, and also some investigation to see if any custom hardware has been added to prevent the addition of a throttle. Likely not.

Looks like a German motor in a custom frame, possibly one of the new Bafangs. Germans use custom controllers and replacement is difficult if not impossible. Bafang uses internal controller which can be replaced if needed but is a complex procedure that is not recommended for an amateur.

These are matters which should be investigated thoroughly BEFORE purchase. Did you buy it because it was a pretty color?

"Pedal assist" can mean a torque sensor, or a PAS sensor based on peddle revolutions, or "revs". You want a throttle.

If your controller has a connection for a throttle, then, yes, you can. If not, then you need a new controller, and also some investigation to see if any custom hardware has been added to prevent the addition of a throttle. Likely not.

Looks like a German motor in a custom frame, possibly one of the new Bafangs. Germans use custom controllers and replacement is difficult if not impossible. Bafang uses internal controller which can be replaced if needed but is a complex procedure that is not recommended for an amateur.

These are matters which should be investigated thoroughly BEFORE purchase. Did you buy it because it was a pretty color?
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Its not mine it was purchased for a family member who has mobility problems that have got worse over time and is now at the point she is struggling to peddle hence the question. So the answer to you're question is no is wasn't bought because it was a pretty colour!!!

But it WAS purchased with little thought to system compatibility or future upgrades or changes. You may need a whole new bike to add a $5 throttle. This is easily check-able before buying.

But it WAS purchased with little thought to system compatibility or future upgrades or changes. You may need a whole new bike to add a $5 throttle. This is easily check-able before buying.
Yes you are right it should have been purchased with the thought what if my family members disability gets so bad the bike will need converting.
Seriously i don't know what your problem is but maybe next time scroll on by PRI,K

Here's the deal, sonny. I don't give a crap about YOUR problem. YOUR FAILURE, however, can educate many, many others about to do the same mistake. The capability to add a throttle has been REMOVED by many manufacturers, if consumers were aware of what this truly meant, more bikes would have throttle capability, more people would have bikes they can continue to use, more people would not be looking at buying a brand new bike to add a $5 dollar part.

The fact that you were unable to predict that an elderly relative would actually get older and continue to lose capability is not a level of ignorance that I am responsible for. Blame your mistakes on someone else.

Sonny how old are you 90 haha listen stop being a gobsh.te on the internet.
I couldn't give a sh.t about your opinions i asked a question not for you to judge me or my family.
I live in Teesside and if you live close enough let me know and we can meet somewhere close by and see if you are still as mouthy stood in front of me!!!!!!

Two of the dumbest things about a lot of the ebikes built today is that most of them are missing two things,that all ebikes should have in my opinion. All ebikes should have the option of adding a throttle and all ebikes should have a USB plug. Most do not have a throttle option because of EU rules and most ebikes do not have a USB plugs because of stupid people. I ride a Bafang Ultra Max mid-drive one of the few mid-drives to have both a throttle and a USB plug. Most Hub-drives have throttles and most Mid-drives do not have throttles. Crazy but true. You can not add a throttle to Yamaha or any German ebike motor I know of. They could care less about peoples needs as the get older. Plus ebikes with throttles are safer and more fun to ride then ones without a throttle. Just because an ebike has a throttle does not mean you have to use it. But it could save your life if you needed a quick boost of power to get out of trouble.

Two of the dumbest things about a lot of the ebikes built today is that most of them are missing two things,that all ebikes should have in my opinion. All ebikes should have the option of adding a throttle and all ebikes should have a USB plug. Most do not have a throttle option because of EU rules and most ebikes do not have a USB plugs because of stupid people. I ride a Bafang Ultra Max mid-drive one of the few mid-drives to have both a throttle and a USB plug. Most Hub-drives have throttles and most Mid-drives do not have throttles. Crazy but true. You can not add a throttle to Yamaha or any German ebike motor I know of. They could care less about peoples needs as the get older. Plus ebikes with throttles are safer and more fun to ride then ones without a throttle. Just because an ebike has a throttle does not mean you have to use it. But it could save your life if you needed a quick boost of power to get out of trouble.
Hi Yogaduke, i really appreciate the answer thanks for responding. It is a yamaha so looks like it will need replacing and will defiantly make sure they check what to buy next time. Its not bad news as the bike only cost £500 and are selling for around 1k.

Back