Giant eBike (Giant Explore E+ 2) - Height reduction

janan

Local time
12:12 PM
I have purchased a GIANT bike (Giant Explore E+ 2) that is a bit too high. I feel like iam stretching my ankle too much to rest on the ground. I would like to reduce the height of the saddle to reduce the stress on my ankle. Refer the first image - i can't push the saddle inside anymore.

Can i cut some 6-7 cms of the tube to reduce the saddle height by around 6 cms ? Will it affect the function of the bike ? (I know silly question), but you never know.

20211209_151442.jpg

Refer the 2nd image below on how iam stretching my ankle to rest on the ground.

20211209_153437.jpg

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I have purchased a GIANT bike (Giant Explore E+ 2) that is a bit too high. I feel like iam stretching my ankle too much to rest on the ground. I would like to reduce the height of the saddle to reduce the stress on my ankle. Refer the first image - i can't push the saddle inside anymore.

Can i cut some 6-7 cms of the tube to reduce the saddle height by around 6 cms ? Will it affect the function of the bike ? (I know silly question), but you never know.

View attachment 2754

Refer the 2nd image below on how iam stretching my ankle to rest on the ground.

View attachment 2755

Thanks in advance for your responses.
I think this is a common mistake people make when fitting a bike to their physical size. If you're objective is too pedal the bike efficiently the seat should be adjusted so when your pedal is at the bottom of the stroke you have a slight bend in your knee. This often makes it difficult to touch the ground on larger framed bikes.

The solution is to step off the seat, plant your feet and remount the seat when you start riding again.
For people with very short legs (inseams) a smaller bike (wheel diameter) and a step through frame also helps.

To answer your question about cutting the seat tube, not the frame, should not hurt the overall bike, but may put your legs into a not so great bend while pedalling.

Thank you both for your responses. Really helps.

Anyone else, please feel free to post your responses.

I have a Himiway Cruiser. It's a big bike. They advertise that it can suit anyone between 5'3" and I believe 6'2". No way a person that is 5'3" can ride this bike and feel they are in control and safe. I'm 5'8" and I had the seatpost all the way down and I could not comfortably flat foot my feet on the ground when stopped. I cut the seatpost tube down with a Dremel cut-off wheel as low as possible so I could still get the locking collar (or whatever the proper name of this is) on and still be able to clamp it tightly so the seat would be secure. Then at that height I felt I could not extend my legs enough to get as good a power stroke as possible. So I got a Zoom 80mm dropper seat post. I believe it cost me around $80 from AliExpress. Zoom is known as one of the most economical (meaning cheap) manufacturer of aftermarket accessories. So far it's been fine. Watch the attached YT video link......

Thank you both for your responses. Really helps.

Anyone else, please feel free to post your responses.
Interested in max pedal strength and endurance then heed the performance advice. If your interest is in a comfortable ride on relatively short cruises just do whatever makes the bike feel comfy and secure to you. IOW, choose either competitive edge or just fun in setting up your bike's geometry.

Back