Getting into this whole Ebike thing...

karlengle

Local time
8:00 AM
Hi, Looking to learn a lot about ebikes on this forum. I know nothing in this world is perfect and the more "affordable" a bike is, the more corners you'll see cut. Having said that, I've narrowed it down to a Velotric Discover 1 high bar for me and the step through for my wife. They recently started shipping with hydraulic brakes and and updated controller with 5 PAS levels instead of the 3. Thanks for letting me join!

Oh, Forgot to add. I live in Eastern Washington and a fairly athletic 60 yo... :) Looking to commute with it and have fun rides with my wife.

I bought a Discover 1 for my wife. She really likes it. Also has hydraulic brakes. Only problems are the cables are short, meaning there is little or no adjustability of the handlebars. The other thing is the fork seems to loosen up. I had to tighten is a couple of times already. Maybe I didn't tighten it enough.

Welcome to the forum. If you want to learn more about ebikes, there are tons of knowledgeable members and resources here. Just poke around.

I’m relatively new to ebiking (bought my first one this April), and absolutely love it, and have over 1,500 miles already.

I hope you and your wife enjoy yours just as much!

If I were youI'd look for a full suspension bike. Your back will thank you for it, and because it's more comfortable, you'll ride it more.

If I were youI'd look for a full suspension bike. Your back will thank you for it, and because it's more comfortable, you'll ride it more.
We thought of that, however, full suspension bikes have been way more expensive. Also, when we rented them a few weeks back for a 30 mile ride, even without any suspension at all, they didn't seem that bad. But still, something we should consider...

We thought of that, however, full suspension bikes have been way more expensive. Also, when we rented them a few weeks back for a 30 mile ride, even without any suspension at all, they didn't seem that bad. But still, something we should consider...
Try a suspension seatpost. I think you'll appreciate the cushion it provides. Smooths out the small bumps. Takes away the jarring impact of large bumps (I can stay seated when broaching a curbed sidewalk, something I used to always rise out of my seat for). Its one drawback is that it adds 2 to 3 inches to your seat height. Link: https://www.amazon.com/suntour-ncx/s?k=suntour+ncx

To order, you need to know the size of your seatpost. Often times, it is printed on the bottom of the original seatpost.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back