All-Wheel Drive Rad Runner Ebike

Count

Local time
7:35 AM
Hello forum, I have created a very functional 2 wheel drive ebike. I started with a 2020 Rad Runner, and upgraded with a suspension front end, 35A controller, color display, and true 750w Baffang motor. Lots of other upgrades and additions, but not relevant here. I installed 1 1000w front hub motor/wheel combo from Amazon. The twist throttle is on the left hand side. Pretty much plug and play!

Despite having read to the contrary, I observe NO issues which could be considered unsound or unsafe. There is no "syncing" needed, you just turn the throttles as you wish. I have tripped a thermal breaker (I think) on the BMS in the stock 48v battery, when nailing both throttles simultaneously, but it resets in a minute or so. It has only happened twice, so it is not super sensitive, but I am asking it to deliver well over 2000 watts!

With the rear hub motor alone, I get a strong 24 MPH, with pretty good acceleration, and PLENTY of power. In fact, my first ride with all of the upgrades (exclusive of the front hub motor), I did a very unexpected wheelie and almost lost the bike from under me! Huge power. With the front motor alone, I get up to 30 MPH, with less power and less acceleration. There does not seem to be any advantage to using both together, but no negative issues either.

I created this bike to ride well on soft beach sand. I ride a lot on the beach, and it is often necessary to cross wide swaths of soft sand, in order to reach the packed, hard wet sand. W/O the front motor, the front wheel tends to just plow through the sand, not over it. The bike also hunts left to right, seeking traction, w/o the front motor. If you use the front motor alone, yes, the front wheel just spins with virtually no traction. However, in unison with the rear motor, it crosses soft sand like a dream! Would I recommend it? Only if you had a need like I did. Otherwise, it is just a fun indulgence!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello forum, I have created a very functional 2 wheel drive ebike. I started with a 2020 Rad Runner, and upgraded with a suspension front end, 35A controller, color display, and true 750w Bafang motor. Lots of other upgrades and additions, but not relevant here. I installed 1 1000w front hub motor/wheel combo from Amazon. The twist throttle is on the left hand side. Pretty much plug and play!

Despite having read to the contrary, I observe NO issues which could be considered unsound or unsafe. There is no "syncing" needed, you just turn the throttles as you wish. I have tripped a thermal breaker (I think) on the BMS in the stock 48v battery, when nailing both throttles simultaneously, but it resets in a minute or so. It has only happened twice, so it is not super sensitive, but I am asking it to deliver well over 2000 watts!

With the rear hub motor alone, I get a strong 24 MPH, with pretty good acceleration, and PLENTY of power. In fact, my first ride with all of the upgrades (exclusive of the front hub motor), I did a very unexpected wheelie and almost lost the bike from under me! Huge power. With the front motor alone, I get up to 30 MPH, with less power and less acceleration. There does not seem to be any advantage to using both together, but no negative issues either.

I created this bike to ride well on soft beach sand. I ride a lot on the beach, and it is often necessary to cross wide swaths of soft sand, in order to reach the packed, hard wet sand. W/O the front motor, the front wheel tends to just plow through the sand, not over it. The bike also hunts left to right, seeking traction, w/o the front motor. If you use the front motor alone, yes, the front wheel just spins with virtually no traction. However, in unison with the rear motor, it crosses soft sand like a dream! Would I recommend it? Only if you had a need like I did. Otherwise, it is just a fun indulgence!
Hello @Count, thanks for posting your experience with your 2WD ebike. It's sounds like a fun bike! I'm still considering options. I did manage to find the following front ebike kit with a 29" wheel to suit the Salsa Enabler (135mm) forks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conversion...9-inch-Electric-Bike-Motor-Wheel/254408267746

In this case I'd go with the rear hub kit and fit it to my front forks, since the spacing of my front forks is 135mm and they are also setup to use rear disc hub spacing.

I'm glad to hear you can draw from the same battery for your front and rear kits. This eliminates some complexity!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hello forum, I have created a very functional 2 wheel drive ebike. I started with a 2020 Rad Runner, and upgraded with a suspension front end, 35A controller, color display, and true 750w Baffang motor.

Nice job! Can you tell us if it's possible to just drop in that true-750 Bafang motor without upgrading the controller or anything else? I may be interested in boosting my 2020 Rad Mini Step-Thru 2 just a bit but am trying to avoid major mods and have been thinking about doing just the motor to improve hill-climbing torque rather than top speeds.

Last edited:
Back