Front hub in rear wheel position?

zane213

Local time
5:47 AM
Is it possible to use a front hub in the rear wheel position. I'm possibly looking build/convert something would would work more like a dirt bike than an actual, say, mountain bike. Just something I'd use a few times a year to get me across a field quietly and with little effort. I know a lot of the kits use pedal sensors, can they be bypassed? Can it be made to work with just a twist throttle? I feel like it has to be possible. Anyone have any experience? Thanks for any insight.

Yes, it can work, throttle only, no chain.

Unless you already have the motor, not much good reason to do this.

Legally looses the bicycle definition.

In this situation, it doesn't need to be a bicycle. Thanks for the reply!

Front hub motors are typically 100mm wide (or 135mm for fat) while standard rear bicycle dropouts are 135mm, 142mm, or 148mm (fat bikes are 170mm or 190mm), so you'll need to get a hub motor that fits the frame you're converting, but you can absolutely pass on the PAS and just use a throttle. Actually did run a front hub on my son's kickbike project as it has 100mm rear dropout spacing.

on a steel bicycle you can squish the frame from 135mm to 100 mm. Try to do it evenly from each side so the wheel sits straight in the frame. on an aluminum bicycle frame definitely a bad idea.

You can install spacers/washers between the motor and the drop outs, to fill in the gaps. You will need the larger diameter to fit the bigger diameter axle…an ebike shop should have some.
Your rim brake should still work. If a disc brake, you may run into a problem.

Back